Character Builds (Possible Spoilers)

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
Character Builds (Possible Spoilers)
« on: January 19, 2015, 09:40:15 AM »
Does anyone have a good tank build? Either their own or a link to a good guide for one, playing as a rouge I'm getting tossed around a bit too much and Cassandra isn't much help. Need to spec one of my characters to take the brunt of the attack so I can get in behind for my stealth strikes.

I'm planning on using the knight enchanter build rossi posted in the other thread as one of my characters, but definitely need at least 1 tank in the party.

I just got Blackwall and Iron Bull last night, either of them work better as a tank?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 02:15:07 PM by AkyraStrike »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
Re: Ideal Tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »
moved to it's own thread, lets try and keep spoilers out of the main one!

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
Re: Ideal Tank?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:44:53 AM »
moved to it's own thread, lets try and keep spoilers out of the main one!

NP Ant  :) probably not a bad idea to have a thread to share character builds anyway.

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
  • PSN: Jykel
Re: Character Builds (Possible Spoilers)
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:43:47 AM »
I tend to run with a party of ranged archer, mage (the rossi spec), sword/board tank and the iron bull.

My main is the archer, primary role is DPS at range.  I used Viv for the mage & blackwell for the shield/tank role, iron bull is in close DPS.    I found Cas and any duel wielding characters not as effective as blackwell and bull. 

For blackwell, I spec him for as many passive guard & defensive based abilities, and disable the shield rush ability under tactics, as he tends to run across the screen in random directions ;)

from memory, its something like:

Warrior - Weapon and Shield

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »
For blackwell, I spec him for as many passive guard & defensive based abilities, and disable the shield rush ability under tactics, as he tends to run across the screen in random directions ;)

Haha I had noticed that.. will have to remember to disable that.

With my character being a rouge duel wielder it limits me a little, at the moment I'm using a party of Vivienne, Blackwall and Iron Bull (only just got all 3 yesterday so not really spec'd out yet).

I'm thinking Vivienne as the knight enchanter (as per Rossi's build), Blackwall as a Tank to soak up damage, and Iron bull to deal damage while I can use my stealth sneak attacks for massive 1 hit damages from behind.

I've read that if you go Vanguard + Champion for Blackwall he is basically an immoveable rock. Anyone tried this?

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 11:42:04 AM »
I cant quite remember my exact build for Blackwall but he can happilly stand toe to toe with a dragon with whatever abilities I have given him, unlike poor ol' iron bull who needs a stealth revive every now and then but only against dragons.

I turned off quite a few of blackwall abilities as well, though can't quite recall which ones.   Some I had to get just to keep going down ability trees etc to get the good passives.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 11:59:43 AM »
Another question for anyone who's played more, is it worth having a ranged (archery) party member? and if so, who do you prefer, Varric or Sera? (based purely on character builds not personality)

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:29 PM »
My main is an archer, with stealth as the second tree and poison weapons.  really handy for 1000's of damage at range with long shot and explosive shot, buffed with accessories and poison.   I use to stealth to get flanking bonuses, lining up a multi hit longshot and for revives.   Leaping shot also does lots of damage at close range.

I think Sera would be more useful, as Varric can only equip bianca from memory, so he is a bit limited in terms of weapon choice.

At higher levels archers are good for setting up combo effect before the melee folk reach the enemy, esp if you have a ice mage. Also good having one character at range against dragons, they can have some nasty AoE attacks.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
Another question for anyone who's played more, is it worth having a ranged (archery) party member? and if so, who do you prefer, Varric or Sera? (based purely on character builds not personality)

Varric is really held back by Bianca. I never have the schematics (or buy in shop) to create good enough add ons for Bianca to be on a level similar to all my other weapons. My bows do so much more damage right now. Pity Sera is such an annoying character.

I don't bother using ranged character, I am using 2 mages.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 01:36:52 AM »
I have 2 mages as knight enchanter, Iron bull as tank with reaver & double handed  - (finally saved 12k gold and bought the dragon slaying axe ):

& just respeced Varic to archer since i finally got some bianca schematics.

With Cole as backup  as dual dagger assassin (since i had some great daggers).

Varic can do serious damage with the right schematics and crafted items. You can buy schematics in skyhold.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:40:46 AM by M-Rossi »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 03:30:01 AM »
Maybe better Bianca schematics appear in Skyhold later for me - maybe story driven. So far could only buy Bianca arms 2 (and equivalent sight).

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
Not sure I 100% agree with that guys Archer spec, 99% yep but leaping shot in certain circumstances does more DPS than any other abilities, esp against giants n dragons legs.  It also has a super fast cooldown.   I would also get knock out powder, as combos (like in ME3) can be the key to super high damage n mass crowd damage.

My iron bull is specced pretty much like the other vid, and I have warcry and whirlwind set as preferred abilities for him.   

Setting the preferred abilities, even just 1 or 2, can make your other party members much more effective, esp once you get into combo effects.

some stuff on combo effects:  http://www.reddit.com/r/dragonage/comments/2ni6wd/psa_quick_primer_on_combos/

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:00:55 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAMztVbcdAg

Time to respec Sera  . . . again :)