Cities: Skylines

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Cities: Skylines
« on: February 14, 2015, 01:16:02 PM »
Simcity really missed the mark with city building fans. Hoping this one can fill the void:

Cities: Skylines launches early March, gets a fancy 60 FPS trailer to celebrate
Skylines has nothing to do with the team behind Cities XL, if youíre concerned (as many rightfully are), and Paradoxís track record with simulations and grand strategy games is solid enough that this should be worth a look. Provided youíre a fan of city building and the like which, if Iím being awfully honest, Iím not.

Wonder what my opinion would have been if my Dad didnít try to make me play Simcity 2000 all those years ago. You can pre-order Skylines through the Paradox website or directly through Steam. Whatever store you choose, itíll be US$30 for the standard edition and US$40 for the deluxe version.

http://games.on.net/2015/02/cities-skylines-launches-early-march-gets-a-fancy-60-fps-trailer-to-celebrate/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 01:35:40 AM by Slayer7744 »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
Re: Cities: Skylines
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
Release date March 10, 2015. PC only.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
Gameplay videos (alpha)

Initially I was surprised by the small area for city building, but turns out that you can eventually unlock a total of 9 areas of that size for your 1 city. Also would like to know how Paradox define the term "plagiarism"

Part1

Part2

Part3

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »
Video explaining the simulation part of the game. Each citizen is simulated, each has a lifespan, a job, a set house, etc. Much unlike the lazy Simcity (2013).

Cities: Skylines Dev Diary Review - Part 7 ► The Simulation ◀

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
I'm actually interested in this.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 05:43:04 PM »
Initial size of map to build on is 2km x 2km (4km2). Can expand your city to 9 of these tiles (36km2). Modders should be able to expand the total buildable area to 100km2 if your PC can handle it.

Map editing is included, and can import height maps like you could do in Simcity 4.

Cities: Skylines Dev Diary Review - Part 6 ► The Map Editor ◀

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
Re: Cities: Skylines (PC)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:30:07 AM »
Embargo for lets play videos (and streaming) is lifted on March 3rd (or 4th in Aus).

Quill18 is my go-to guy for PC strategy:

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 08:18:34 AM »
Quill18 being shown the game with a premade large-ish city.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2015, 11:23:46 AM »
I have been watching a few twitch livestreams and youtube "lets's plays" of Cities Skylines. Looks quite good but could use some improvements, not bad at all for a development team of 9 (now 13). The focus looks to be on traffic management (how to get everyone to and from where they want to go without causing traffic jams), and to a lesser extent tailoring your education levels to industry levels. Overpasses, trains, busses and metro are all included - tunnels will be added for free in a future patch.

I think I will have to buy this one - won't break the bank at US$30. It does sound like they will be having alot of future DLCs for this game - possibly cosmetic. Hopefully they also do a little tweaking of a few issues.

Modding has already begun - and the game isnt released yet. I have seen some interesting buildings that are in the steam workshop - russian school and palace, lenin statue park, some churches. I am sure there will be alot of residential, commercial and industrial building variety mods in future.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
After watching a lot of gameplay I decided to buy Cities Skylines. Looks like a real time sink with many hours of entertainment. As long as my PC runs it adequately I should be knee deep in sewage and traffic jams within the week.

If anyone is interested to name a suburb or park, post your suggestion here. I think the first high school in my city has to be "fonzie's school of cool" ...

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »
After watching a lot of gameplay I decided to buy Cities Skylines. Looks like a real time sink with many hours of entertainment. As long as my PC runs it adequately I should be knee deep in sewage and traffic jams within the week.

If anyone is interested to name a suburb or park, post your suggestion here. I think the first high school in my city has to be "fonzie's school of cool" ...

The Spaz Rd
Bogan Town Hall
Dingbat Boulevard

These are all necessities  :P

Offline foxhound_one

• Clan Member
  • Life's short, Grow tall!
    • youtube
  • Origin: foxhound_one
  • PSN: foxhound_one
  • Steam: foxhound one
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:48:37 AM »
First impressions please from anyone who have bought this game.  I love my sim type games and this does look like some thing that will be good.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 01:17:36 PM »
I have played for a few hours now and am really enjoying this game. Carefully managing my population education levels while trying to get industry and commercial zones to upgrade (still learning what makes them upgrade). Have a relatively small population so far which means traffic isnt an issue........yet.

I am going to now delete simcity(2013), stab it through the heart, pour acid over it and burn it in the incinerator. Good riddance!

Mods are flooding into the workshop. Some great things are there like parking bays and parks with parking bays. I will wait awhile to look at getting any mods so that people will rate them first.

In terms of performance - no issues so far. I have quite an old PC (i5, 4GB ram, a pre-DX11 graphics card). I have noticed that most of my ram is in use during gameplay and I hope I dont get performance issues as my cities get bigger.

Every youtuber/streamer I saw playing this game was really loving it. A few issues, but overall great.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:28:07 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
Oh what, it actually has agricultural? I must get this! I have a lot of fun with that zone.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
The agriculture is actually just small buildings and pig pens, etc. You cant put large farming fields in unfortunately - but you can individually name each pig in the lot. It does have things like forrestry industry - but again that is small buildings with a yard full of trees.

From what I have seen, the largest industry or agriculture building is a 4x4 lot - which is the same size as largest residential lot.

Just to make sure everyone knows - you can unlock map size 9x bigger than simcity(2013).

Offline SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 02:18:35 PM »
from one of the reviews they said you can unlock the bigger map, but then you have to buy it with in-game currency?

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 02:26:57 PM »
My power generation. Middle-right is commercial district. Far right industrial district, and the rest is residential.

Main street through my residential area. So far just 1 lane each way and no traffic problems.

This is my little agricultural area, with low educated suburb in the distance to provide some workers.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:46 PM »
Looks good Smashed. I'm also interested at how well the Traffic AI handle congestion etc compared to Sim City 2013?

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 02:34:01 PM »
from one of the reviews they said you can unlock the bigger map, but then you have to buy it with in-game currency?

Yes. That is correct. You start with a 2km x 2km area (same as simcity2013). But as you reach population levels you can buy more 2km x 2km areas. I have unlocked 2 more 2x2 areas and I am still building in my initial area. You can have a total of 9 2km x 2km areas - and they dont have to unlock in a set square (on the map there are a total of 25 2km x 2km areas - you can unlock in any direction from your starting area).

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »
Looks good Smashed. I'm also interested at how well the Traffic AI handle congestion etc compared to Sim City 2013?

I have watched a number of streams and looks like the main traffic problems come from cargo trains - there are too many trains coming usually and can cause gridlock on the railway. Also the cargo trains result in many delivery trucks on your roads - this needs careful planning.

There does seem to be a bit of a problem with lane usage in heavy traffic - you have to be careful to not turn highway lanes into a turn right only lane with highway exits. Im not sure how to manage all of that yet but it can get messy. Sometimes I have seen too much traffic using the middle lane on a highway, and avoiding the outside lane all together. I am sure there are ways to stop that with road layouts though.

You do have room to set up freeway networks in this game which makes traffic alot more managable than in simcity. If you do it right the cars flow very well.

Im sure there will be patches if there are any severe issues.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 03:00:55 PM »
Where the poop goes - im sure its stinky, but this is where the uneducated are living  :troll:

I did have a few more little houses along the cliffline but the pollution seeped up to them and made them sick  :D
I want to keep some low density residential areas because it looks good in cities

Offline SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:21:07 PM »
i'm such a sucker for sim city games....i'll probably end up buying this and never play it, just like the others. lol

i wonder if it can run on my old work dell laptop...might be good to click around on the lounge watching TV

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 04:18:36 PM »
I hate you Smashed.  I'll be getting this tonight now thanks to you.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 05:11:48 PM »
I hate you Smashed.  I'll be getting this tonight now thanks to you.

:up:

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2015, 08:41:17 AM »
Doesnt have the best graphics, but its functional. Needs a bit more variety in buildings too - which will come with mods (and possibly cosmetic DLC). I have a commercial district of about 20-25 buildings - 10 of them must be the same building model.

Started expanding upwards and outwards. To the middle right of screen is my first high density reidential, and behind them is my main commercial district which has some high density too. To the far left you can see some high density residential. Next to that suburb is a large district of office buildings. I just connected these areas via metro (subway) which seems to get a decent amount of use.

You can see with this metro overlay that you can colour code your separate routes. Once you work out how to do that its simple.