Cities: Skylines

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Re: Cities: Skylines (PC)
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
Another handy little feature is being able to place walkways. I have some set up from the back of my residential area so citizens can simply walk to the big commercial zone - instead of having to follow just the roads. I have one to connect a residential area to industrial zone too - which is really used by citizens to go to work.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2015, 08:23:11 PM »
Just remember to be careful with u your dam placement

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2015, 09:55:20 AM »
haha damn fail. i guess he is lucky it wasnt effluent infested water

In my city I started running into traffic problems@20k population. Of course I hadnt planned on how I would upgrade roads - as this is my first game - so I am just working out how everything works. I ended up moving my initial industrial area away from everything else. The delivery trucks were causing the traffic issues - so forcing them to use the fast higways really helped.

:troll:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 09:58:39 AM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2015, 07:28:38 PM »

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2015, 02:09:57 PM »
Now I really want this game :P

Someone Recreated GTA V's Los Santos In Cities: Skylines
http://trib.al/MhU4tDY

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
Now I really want this game :P

Someone Recreated GTA V's Los Santos In Cities: Skylines
http://trib.al/MhU4tDY

Wow. Someone had way too much free time.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2015, 08:51:54 PM »
As promised. The first highschool in my city was renamed.

Starting to spread out....
Seems that highways are very effective at controlling traffic. The downside is they are responsible for a fair bit of noise pollution.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2015, 11:09:05 AM »
Loaded this up at work today. May as well do something useful here :P

First attempt wasn't good. Spent all my cash on a massive road network. Turns out the people need power and water. Weirdos  :P

Do you guys use any of the steam developed stuff? Keeps popping up but I wasn't sure if they are worth getting?

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 12:01:08 PM »
I think if you use mods from the steam workshop then the achievements are disabled. For that reason I am playing vanilla for now. I can see why they did this - I modded the garbage incinerator and could change a lot of values for it - like capacity and electricity produced. You could do that and make tiny "super parks" which have too much positive influence on your city.

In terms of starting a new city, start small. Build gradually and keep budget in the positive. I think the way they have buildings locked until a certain population milestone helps you to manage the budget.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
Ahh ok thanks Smashed  :)

Offline stonecoldstavros

• Clan Member
  • stavros
  • Origin: stonecoldstavros
  • PSN: stonecoldstavros
  • Steam: stonecoldstavros
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2015, 12:08:25 PM »
Ive been playing this game on Mac

Pretty sluggish, so ill give it a go on the PC later.

Looks good though and seems so much better than Simcity

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2015, 04:50:02 PM »
As a follow up from the earlier news that Cities skylines had sold over 250k units, they have now doubled that and sold over 500k.
http://games.on.net/2015/03/cities-skylines-sells-over-250000-copies-in-the-first-24-hours-becomes-paradoxs-fastest-selling-game/

the game has gone on to do even better, with the developers tweeting that the game has broken half a million sales. Itís incredibly heartwarming when you consider how that segment of the gaming market has been battered by the atrocious damage caused by Simcity and Cities XXL.

telling it how it is

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2015, 05:29:46 PM »
I have expanded my city a little now and have hit 60k population. Still have area untouched and will get to unlock 2 more city squares to build on - will probably make it a large square area to build on.

I have set up a train station for incoming tourists with a couple of unique buildings nearby - expo center ans science center. There is a metro station to help them go anywhere else in my city, plus a commercial district starting at the train station. Tourists visit the commercial areas, parks/plazas, and unique buildings. Pity the tourist income seems to be very low (about $1-$2/week for each tourist). My plan is to put a stadium near the river when I can unlock that part of the map.

Interesting to know that when I followed one of my citizens as she was going to use the metro system - she actually took one metro train to a central station before waiting for and boarding a second metro train to get to where she was going. Thumbs up for that coding/AI.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2015, 05:37:32 PM »
A closer look at the Expo Center

I have a few commercial buildings upgraded to the max level

The Statue of Wealth appropriately placed in the middle of a commercial district. Hoping to upgrade this district to the max level. The commercial buildings are at level 2 of 3 so far.

Another unique building. I plopped the Transport Office in the middle of a large office buildings zone. Cant seem to get the offices to upgrade to their top level.

Suburbia

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 06:06:47 PM »
Looks good.

Makes mine look like it is full of tents  :o

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2015, 07:01:39 PM »
I really have been spoilt by Sim City, this game has a slight learning curve, trying to get the demand right and getting workers for businesses is what I'm finding difficult.

That city looks great Smashed, looks like a lot of work has gone into it :)

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
I played a fair bit of simcity4 so I use similar layout styles now. I just zone a little at a time and try to use elevated highways. It's not really a lot of work - just break up your grids to give it a better look. I have kept 2 and a half large residential areas as low density so far. Always looks better with some low density on the outskirts. Upgraded low density houses can still hold 4 families sometimes.

To manage working population I now use the "i" button a lot. You can see workers/jobs and also number of households/total households available. Any more than say a 1k difference between workers/jobs means you need more citizens. You can get more by either zoning more residential or making the current residential areas more attractive to live in (parks, services, public transport). When the difference between workers and jobs is less than 200 (I still have some unemployment in this situation) then I zone some more commercial or offices. I am not really expanding my industrial area because I haven't worked out how to make them hi tech (upgrade to top level industrial).

Offline foxhound_one

• Clan Member
  • Life's short, Grow tall!
    • youtube
  • Origin: foxhound_one
  • PSN: foxhound_one
  • Steam: foxhound one
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:50 PM »
Smashed you have inspired me to go and purchase the game today, score Paradox on your behalf.  Now to get going on my shitty city building skills.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 03:16:11 PM »
My city was going fine, traffic finally under control, now I have an epidemic of dead people and fires starting like crazy across the entire city!

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:38 PM »
That's weird. I have heard others reporting about massive waves of dead - but I never had a problem. I just had cemetery and crematorium for each pocket of residential, and only crematorium in office and commercial areas. Seemed to work fine for me. Make sure your cemeteries are not full - you can empty them when you have crematorium. I also just had small fire stations for all areas. Only very rarely would a building actually burn down.

If you had traffic problems, maybe that caused the problem. All the hearses, ambulances  and fire trucks need to get around. I think dead people may spread disease (but I'm not sure). Also make sure you aren't pumping any pollution around your water system (there is a stat which gives you a % of water pollution - you want 0).

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 11:13:33 PM »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2015, 12:32:50 PM »
Cities Skylines now 50% off on STEAM. US$15

The base game comes with the day/night cycle and the expansion is not really needed. It certainly adds to the look of the game. Functionality has also been improved by the way of underground roads, rail and walkways - all included in the base game via patches.

Now that I have a good enough PC to play with mods I find the game is really great. So much custom content to try out. In the photos below you can see a custom car park which is actually used in-game. Workers park there, then walk across the river to the office job. I am also using a mod which allows terraforming while playing, a mod which can remove traffic lights (makes certain roads more viable in the game), and a mod which allows objects to overlap (making precise placements achievable).

I have now clocked over 90 hours with the game and still learning.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
I can agree with Smashed, this is one of the best City Builder Simulators I've played. I've also clocked 135 hours and it still never gets old.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »
A few more screenshots. Starting to put in some detailing which makes the game shine.