Elite Dangerous: Horizon

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizon
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
Yeh it's not the type of game that will 'finish'.

There's been an interesting side story (lack of a better description) to do with Aliens which sounds like is ramping up

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »
Yep, the invasion of the Thargoids (fans from earlier games will recognise them) has been ramping up for a while now, initially it was strange signals and then items appearing, then when Horizons hit some alien ruins and artifacts and recently what looks to be a full on base.

It's certainly not a game everyone could play and be hooked by, but it's a fun little distraction and if you enjoy space sims then it's amazing graphically to explore.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
How is the multiplayer arranged?

There is an "open" option - I assume that anyone could then show up in your game if in the same location, and destroy you.

Private - is it friends list only allowed, or invite only - can you meet at a location and travel together?

Solo - self explanatory

Tempted by it but still waiting for new TV.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
How is the multiplayer arranged?

Open = See randoms online
Private = invite only
Solo = Single Player essentially

I'd suggest starting in solo or private first to avoid any chance of jerks picking on the new guy etc.

Whether in private or open you can meet and wing up (group together a-la destiny fireteam style etc.)

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 08:33:25 PM »
I probably steer clear because it's possibly a giant time sink that will take me away from playing all my other games.

Unless it gets a VR patch. Then I'm in

I've probably watched over an hour of ObsidianAnts PS4 videos today and I'm getting pretty tempted..

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
Loving this with the HOTAS, it's definitely a time sink and a grind, but it's a lot of fun.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2017, 06:50:03 PM »
Still going ok akyra ? I've watched entirely too many YouTube's and trawled entirely to many posts for my own good. I even started playing mass effect to get my space SciFi fix.
I'm so tempted but have bought too many other games recently that will end up being ignored if I get elite lol

Hoping for a price drop or VR announcement (doubtful) but I'm sure I'll end up with it at some stage. It sounds like the pro version isn't as good as it should be though ?

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2017, 07:12:46 PM »
It sounds like the pro version isn't as good as it should be though ?

I watched the devs do a stream for the ps4 release - they stated there is no resolution increase for pro (yet - and they didn't commit to resolution upgrade in future).

I saw 2 options, one for another frame rate, the other for graphical improvement. On YouTube the graphical improvement looked minimal - but sometimes it is hard to notice details on YouTube.

They also had some screen tearing which they blamed on the capture device - but now recognise it as a problem on ps4 which they are working to fix.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2017, 07:53:52 PM »
Yup, the tearing got fixed today. I've also been trying to find the difference between quality and performance mode and haven't seen much good info (apart from performance being smooth) .. hoping for a digital foundry video soon..

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 09:06:03 AM »
I've tried it on both performance and quality modes and honestly can't see a difference. I've also played it on my PS Pro on my 4k 55inch TV and on my OG PS4 on my BenQ XL2430T monitor and again, can't really see much difference (though if I put them side by side I might).

Both performance and quality modes seem to run equally smooth, though I've not gone into any high res combat zones where you might notice a difference with so many more ships and effects from shooting / explosions etc.

I've been participating in the community goals this week as they are the easiest way to make big money when starting out, undecided whether I'll go the same route I did on Xbone and get a combat Vulture kitted out to A-grade spec (will cost approx. 15m) or keep saving and try my hand at the one thing I didn't do on Xbone and thats exploring, but to get the ship I'd want to do that in I'll need about 27m for an Asp Explorer + fittings

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2017, 03:20:30 AM »
hoping for a digital foundry video soon..

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2017, 10:47:09 PM »
After doing a lot of bounty hunting for the community goals over the past 2 weeks, I needed a break from the pew-pew and set off on a looooooong exploration journey, so far tonight I visited about 75 systems and scanned at least 1 to 4 planets (high value targets for scan data) per system. I plan on continuing my trip over the next few times I play until I get bored, should net me a good pay day.

I came across my first ringed 'earth like' world too, screenshot below of me approaching it in super-cruise and then when I dropped out at it, it completely dwarfed my poor like Diamondback Explorer.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:22:37 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 06:23:59 AM »
set off on a looooooong exploration journey, so far tonight I visited about 75 systems

That sounds like a ridiculous amount. I have not yet found my groove with the game - doesn't seem very interesting for me yet - but still in starting ship. Can't see myself being a fighter as I got wrecked in second combat tutorial.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2017, 07:51:23 AM »
set off on a looooooong exploration journey, so far tonight I visited about 75 systems

That sounds like a ridiculous amount. I have not yet found my groove with the game - doesn't seem very interesting for me yet - but still in starting ship. Can't see myself being a fighter as I got wrecked in second combat tutorial.

When the game has 400 million systems, 75 is barely noticeable :troll:

Best to get out of the sidewinder as soon as possible. Eagle or viper if you want to fight, cobra if you want multi purpose. Hauler if you want to trade, though if you can get enough coin for a cobra it beats the hauler in trading in the early days.

Also everyone gets a free eagle too, you just need to go to the galaxy map and find the system it's in (look for a little red ship icon)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:19:32 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2017, 12:46:42 PM »
Apparently everyone gets wrecked in that combat tutorial,  its not balanced well

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2017, 06:53:21 PM »

When the game has 400 million systems, 75 is barely noticeable :troll:

Best to get out of the sidewinder as soon as possible. Eagle or viper if you want to fight, cobra if you want multi purpose. Hauler if you want to trade, though if you can get enough coin for a cobra it beats the hauler in trading in the early days.

Also everyone gets a free eagle too, you just need to go to the galaxy map and find the system it's in (look for a little red ship icon)

I picked up a cobra earlier - still unsure about best ways to make $$. There seem to be the occasional deliveries for 100k+ which is what I am focusing on. Have not ventured far from the starting area - I assume that is why nobody (AI) has attacked me yet.

Apparently everyone gets wrecked in that combat tutorial,  its not balanced well

Are you just saying that to make me feel better?  :bff:

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2017, 07:43:03 AM »

When the game has 400 million systems,

400 billion

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2017, 09:03:05 AM »
I picked up a cobra earlier - still unsure about best ways to make $$. There seem to be the occasional deliveries for 100k+ which is what I am focusing on. Have not ventured far from the starting area - I assume that is why nobody (AI) has attacked me yet.

Generally you wont get attached unless you're in a combat zone, a rez (resource extraction site) or hauling cargo you might get interdicted and pulled from supercruise by pirates.

Best way to make money is to do what interests you, otherwise you'll get bored with the grind. And even then, change it up every now and then to keep it interesting. I've done a tonne of combat, exploration, trading and even some mining. The only thing I haven't done is passenger missions, but thats because they weren't around when I was playing on Xbox.

Some resources to help you:

Inara - https://inara.cz/
This is a good site for many things, it has a market place to check commodity prices and can even tell you were you can buy certain ships and parts etc. One of the best parts of this site is you can search for a ship and see where some systems might be selling at a discount (often up to 20%)

Coriolis - https://coriolis.edcd.io/
ED Shipyard - http://www.edshipyard.com/
Both of these are good for checking builds etc. I prefer Coriolis as it's cleaner and easier to read. It will help you put together a ship build and tell you how much it'll cost you so you've got something to aim for.

EDDB - https://eddb.io/
One of, if not, the best sites if you want to be a trader. It can calculate trade routes for you, whether it be single hops, round trips or multiple hops to take you to several systems. It also has a general systems / factions search function

If you want easy money quickly at the start, then exploration is easy, but can get boring when you're just jumping around the bubble in known space.

This is what I'm currently doing for a cash boost:

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6hhcpq/road_to_riches_web_app/

http://edtools.ddns.net/expl.php

This guy has made a web app that can guide you to Earth like, terraformable water and High Metal content worlds within the bubble. These are the highest paying for discovery. To make the most of it though, you'll need an advance discovery scanner (costs about 1.5mil) and a detailed surface scanner (250k). By following his route, you'll average about 900,000 per system.

Here's a visual guide as to what planets payout:

https://i.imgur.com/3x5JrAK.jpg

(will just post link as the pic is huge)

Terraformable HMC Worlds payout = 412,249
Terraformable Water Worlds payout = 649,971
Earth Like Worlds payout = 627,885

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 05:23:30 PM »
Ok so I got bored on my trek around the bubble after approx 150 systems scanned, turned in the data for a cool 130 million.

Now on to ranking up the empire for that Imperial Clipper I always wanted.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2017, 06:10:18 PM »
Is there any info about which parts to upgrade? I have credits but every part upgrade seems to only give small performance increases - thus don't seem like value for credits spent.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »
Is there any info about which parts to upgrade? I have credits but every part upgrade seems to only give small performance increases - thus don't seem like value for credits spent.

It all depends on what you want to do. A rated modules are always the best performance, but they add weight and hull mass which lowers jump range. D rated are the lightest, even lighter than E, so often people leave non essential modules D like life support and sensors

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2017, 11:22:51 PM »
So i caved and bought this yesterday.  Its great. Played till 4am doing random stuff and upgraded  my sidewinder really well.
Today ive been doing data delivery and basic scanning all day (flying around lazily while sick is great,  i cbf playing most things when sick)

Finally decided what ship to upgrade to (cobra mk3) so i flew all the way back to the community goal system (i liked it there) , stripped my sidewinder, only to find out they dont sell cobra  fml
Picked up a data mission to a nearby system hoping it would have cobra and got discon while landing thanks to some psn issue. Fml x2

Im not going to bed until i grt my ship

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2017, 07:41:52 AM »
Also, i love how it says Romeo Alpha Zulu when i go to dock.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2017, 08:25:30 AM »
@raz81 if you want to save yourself time jumping around looking for a station that sells the ship you're after, use this:

https://inara.cz/galaxy-shipyard/

On the right of the page put in the ship you're after and the system you're in and it'll list nearby systems that sell, and even tell you where you can buy it discounted.

Otherwise if you don't want to use 3rd party tools, look for hi tech systems with high population on the galaxy map and it'll generally have what you need.