Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
Re: Elite Dangerous: Horizon
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
omg this game!!

Decided to go for a big payday with a Tourist (a criminal, no less) so i bought the cabin and off i went. I recently removed my Fuel Scoop and knew i couldnt make it all the way back, so i scouted for a good refuel spot to stop in on my return journey.

On my second or third jump, i found a nice system to explore (more $$ i thought) with a few stations to refuel at. But meh, I'll keep going and do it on the way back!

A couple of interdictions later (I am kitted out quite well for fighting, so i blasted the shit out of them for slowing me down) I get to the target system and figure out that i need to go to the tourist beacon. All good, only a quick stop because i didnt want to get scanned (criminal, remember) and off I go.

Running on fumes now, i am expecting to land at the little system i saw earlier......and .... WTF...... it plotted a different route home. I have 1 jump left in me. The current system has sweet fuck all (i need a better scanner...), the next system might not have anything, and the previous one doesnt either!!

I'm desperately trying to figure out what to do / where to go in the Galaxy map when lo and behold, i see an option for Economical mode. Thank god! I can actually make it all the way back to base.

But, in the next system i see a station, and think, yeh.....i'll go get fuel so i can do the fastest route back.

Given this is my first tourist trip, and with a tourist that doesnt want to be scanned (already got scanned once in one of the interdictions), i figure i should use Silent Mode on the approach to be safe.
I've never used Silent Mode either.

Anyway

I had trouble finding the right landing pad. Started to overheat (thanks, Silent Mode), so i turned Silent Mode off, boosted out and did a loop the loop for another pass....
.....find the landing pad this time........coming in hot from directly on top i desperately slow down....all good i think...fuck...landing gear!! Deploy deploy! (massive dual shock fumble) Hit boost and went directly into the platform. Thanks to silent mode, i had no sheilds.
Boom

Bye Bye payday, hello massive rebuy.

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2017, 02:09:37 PM »
 :facepalm:

Ouch.

For future reference, to avoid scan you just need to go to silent running while approaching the station, once you're through the mail slot you wont get scanned.

I haven't tried any passenger missions yet but they can be very lucrative.

Online SmashedPumpkin

• Clan Member
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2017, 09:44:31 PM »
The only upgrade I have purchased for both my ships is autodocking - but don't know if that is compatible with silent mode. Never heard of silent mode or economy mode before due to serious lack of tutorials.

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2017, 09:02:14 AM »
The only upgrade I have purchased for both my ships is autodocking - but don't know if that is compatible with silent mode. Never heard of silent mode or economy mode before due to serious lack of tutorials.

Docking computer is good if you're bad at docking, but it's a wasted slot if you really want to get the most out of your ship.

Silent running shuts everything down on your ship to reduce your heat so the sensors cant lock on to scan you, you can activate it in the right hand panel. Economy / fast mode that Raz is referring to is when plotting a course in the galaxy map, fastest will get you there faster but uses more fuel, economy takes more jumps but doesn't use up as much fuel. My biggest advice though is buy a fuel scoop and learn how to use it, I've never ran out of fuel in the hundreds of hours I've played. Or, if you do run out, call the fuel rats https://www.fuelrats.com/ they are a player group dedicated to rescuing stranded commanders and generally can get someone to you within 10-15mins.

As far as ship equipment goes:

Core Internals

Bulkheads - These make your ship stronger, but heavy and therefore slower and lowers your jump range. Usually go military grade for combat ships, typically leave lightweight for other.

Power Plant - Self explanatory, the higher rated the better, but the higher rated the heavier, again making you slower. Just make sure you have enough power for your optional internals and weapons.

Thrusters - How maneuverable your ship is. Higher class recommended for combat ships, not so necessary for exploration or trade ships.

Frame Shift Drive - Your hyper / warp drive, the better rated, the longer you can jump. Always best to A rate (or highest you can buy) this regardless of ship or your chosen purpose

Life Support - This is just how long you can last if your canopy is shattered, effects nothing else, most people never bother to go anything but D rated as it's the lightest, D gives you between 7 and 9mins (depending on size) to get back to a dock which should be more than enough.

Power Distributor - How quickly your engine boost, shield recovery and weapons recharge. Always A rate this if youre going for combat, not so necessary on trade ships or exploration ships, go for D rating again if thats what you're doing.

Sensors - How far away you can detect and scan other ships, I rarely go for anything but D regardless of what ship or activity I'm doing.

Fuel tank - ship usually comes with the highest rated in this spot, so just leave as is, you can add more fuel tanks in optional internals if you're planning a long journey out of the bubble where its harder to find scoopable stars.

Optional Internals

What you choose here highly depends on what you plan on doing, so it's hard to explain what everything does, but as I said, it's usually best to always equip a fuel scoop, higher rated means faster re-fueling.

Shields depend on what you're doing, for combat you want highest rated possible, though I typically prefer bi-weave which are weaker but re-charge quicker (then I through on a bunch of shield boosters in the utility mounts which give +20% shield).

If you're trading, then you'll want a fuel scoop, enough shields to escape pirates and then load up on cargo racks.

If you're exploring, you want a discovery scanner (advanced is the best but is 1.5mil) and a detailed surface scanner, maybe some fuel tanks and if you have horizons, an SRV bay.

With regards to weapons, I typically go for pulse lasers + multi cannons, the lasers to strip shield and multi cannons to shred the hull. But if I'm trading or exploring, I dont actually put any weapon.

These are my current ships:

My Diamondback Explorer Build for exploration

My Fer-de-Lance Bounty Hunter

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:52:30 PM by AkyraStrike »

Online SmashedPumpkin

• Clan Member
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2017, 03:17:40 PM »

Docking computer is good if you're bad at docking, but it's a wasted slot if you really want to get the most out of your ship.

Thanks for the info Akyra - very useful for us noobs. One question about weapons though - how do you prioritize between laser and cannon? If your ship has 2xrank2 slots and 2xrank1 slots - which weapon gets the rank2 priority?

The only thing I have done in the game is trade boomtime data - and given that I have had to dock 100+ times, I may have quit the game without a docking computer. It's not that I'm bad at docking (I never destroyed my ship  :troll:), it just saves so much time and effort.

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2017, 04:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the info Akyra - very useful for us noobs. One question about weapons though - how do you prioritize between laser and cannon? If your ship has 2xrank2 slots and 2xrank1 slots - which weapon gets the rank2 priority?

The only thing I have done in the game is trade boomtime data - and given that I have had to dock 100+ times, I may have quit the game without a docking computer. It's not that I'm bad at docking (I never destroyed my ship  :troll: ), it just saves so much time and effort.

Haha thats fair re: docking comp, it can get tedious if you're doing small trips and docking constantly, especially on smaller stations, I always line up those pads wrong. I have only used a docking comp a little on larger ships as they can be hard to dock if you're not use to it.

As far as weapons, it's really personal choice, either way is good. My typical set up in a ship like you've described would be 2 x Medium Multi-cannons and 2 x Small pulse lasers, as per this: My Viper Bounty Hunting Build

However if you look at my Fer-de-Lance, I've gone the other way, with 1x Large Beam Laser and 4x Medium multi-cannons.

A ships power can also dictate what you use, lasers (of any kind) use up a fair chunk of power and also use up your weapon capacitor (the thing you can changes pips to using D-pad), wheres multi-cannons and other kinetic weapons don't use much of the ships power, and don't use your weapon capacitor at all, so can be fired until out of ammo.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2017, 12:53:15 PM »
wow, a Fer-de-Lance! I can only dream of that at the moment lol

So, I am trying to figure out what to do next. I have totally pimped out my Cobra MK3 now as a multipurpose ship - very strong on weapons/shield, A for all the important core parts, system and planetary scanners (i will always use this, hate not having them), 4 cargo module, 4 passenger module and the vehicle hanger bay. Also have other modules in storage to swap to be more dedicated (passenger/cargo/combat) if the mood/missions fits.

I did a fair few passenger delivery missions last night and enjoyed it. Great payout. And the sight seeing ones are cool too since they actually do take you to nice places - and they can be fun/tense when you have someone that doesnt want to be scanned.
Disappointingly the planetary scan missions are fucked (SRV doesnt scan shit properly - known bug on xbox and pc in the past that the ps4 seems to have inherited) and the assassination missions seem broken too).

My original plan was to get a Diamondback Explorer and go exploring, but i am not ready for that yet. So now i'm thinking of saving up for the Asp Explorer, and even though i know it will cost a shit load to fully upgrade, it seems like a good ship to suit my style (multi purpose with the option to explore well). And i think i can use it just fine partially upgraded as i earn more cash.

To help fund the Asp, i am strongly considering getting a Type6. I thought i could use it for cargo/passenger missions, but i think i will end up using my Cobra mostly for that (downgrade shields from 4 to 2, and get an extra 4 module for cargo/passenger). But i'm thinking the Type6 will allow me to dabble in Trading and Mining. Also, if there is a CG to deliver shit again, it will pay for itself. I have about 5mil in the bank so i can get a Type6 with a lot of decent upgrades straight off the bat.

So, although this post is a bit long and rambly, thoughts about the ship choices based on my plan? Is my plan totally stupid?

And, last question. I based myself from Conway station (where the CG was) and loved seeing random people flying around. Now that the CG is finished, everyone has cleared out.
Are there any systems or areas that people tend to congregate? I'd like to have a home base where i can watch people crash into shit lol
I dont know enough about factions yet, but i guess i should be based somewhere that will help me gain rank for the higher end ships. I havent done much research on them, but the Cutter/Clipper look good...so does the Corevette lol

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2017, 02:24:22 PM »
AspX is a great ship, one of the best and most versatile small ships in the game, its a good goal and will allow you to do a bit of everything.

As far as where people congregate... tends to only be around community goals or Power Play capitals. I'm pledge to Aisling Duval and based out of her capital Chona.

MY FDL is in dock waiting for the next BH CG, I'm back in my DBX doing missions to rank up empire so I can get that Clipper, here's my first planetary landing:

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2017, 02:55:32 PM »
Thanks mate. I guess over the weekend I'll try to learn wtf Power Play is all about.
And also the whole alliance/Empire stuff so I can start ranking

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2017, 03:14:14 PM »
Thanks mate. I guess over the weekend I'll try to learn wtf Power Play is all about.
And also the whole alliance/Empire stuff so I can start ranking

Ranking up the empire or feds for their ships (and system permits) is easy as just doing missions for them, so go to either fed or empire space and take only missions that are from factions related to them. Each rank you have to fill a gauge to 100% (you can view this on the right hand status panel in your ship), then you will be given a rank up mission (which will say federal / imperial navy in the title).

Power play.. well thats whole other kettle of fish, you're best watching youtube vids on it, far too much to explain.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 07:14:42 PM »
Thanks again akyra. I noticed last night I was stuck at 100% on a rank, and learnt that I need another mission. What I had trouble with is figuring out how to get to federal (or whichever) space - but I just found a filter on the galaxy map!

I briefly logged in and was lucky enough to get a 500k passenger mission (1 jump) and then another passenger mission from that location for 900k (2 jumps). I am so close to being able to afford a barebones Asp I think I am not going to bother with the type 6 now lol

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 08:32:12 PM »
Thanks again akyra. I noticed last night I was stuck at 100% on a rank, and learnt that I need another mission. What I had trouble with is figuring out how to get to federal (or whichever) space - but I just found a filter on the galaxy map!

I briefly logged in and was lucky enough to get a 500k passenger mission (1 jump) and then another passenger mission from that location for 900k (2 jumps). I am so close to being able to afford a barebones Asp I think I am not going to bother with the type 6 now lol

Yep filter the galaxy map to see, or for fed space just head toward Sol. And yeah you want a mission that will have 'federal navy' in the name, when you turn it in you'll be promoted.

Nice! I have 9.6mil sitting at as a reward for the last community goal that I haven't gone and collected. But today I was stacking planetary scan and wartime surface scan missions that were all sending me to the same spot, doing between 6 and 12 at a time paying between 500,000 and 3.2mil haha.. I have 156mil in the bank and that doesn't even count the 9.6m I've got to collect for the community goal. I could almost get an anaconda.. but I really want that clipper and then would rather work towards a cutter.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »
How the fk do you get the planetary scan to work? My second won't scan the data point. There are a million threads on the issue (from Xbox and pc) and none of the tricks work.
I've tried everything - put the scanner in its own fire group , bound to 1, bound to 2.
During deploys hardpoints set on , set off.
Jump to be level with the icon.

Its really annoying

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 08:49:28 PM »
Also, u have too much money lol

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
How the fk do you get the planetary scan to work? My second won't scan the data point. There are a million threads on the issue (from Xbox and pc) and none of the tricks work.
I've tried everything - put the scanner in its own fire group , bound to 1, bound to 2.
During deploys hardpoints set on , set off.
Jump to be level with the icon.

Its really annoying

Go to the left hand panel and target the data point manually in the contacts tab, hit square to go into turret mode, line up the data point and scan. I've had no issues doing it this way.

Also, u have too much money lol

Haha I'd have much more if I could play more often, only getting on once or twice a week at the moment

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 06:41:58 PM »
So, I'm stoked. I totally underestimated the awesomeness of my Cobra. Yesterday morning i was doubting that i could fully afford a Type 6, and that the AspX was ages away for me. Last night, I became the proud owner of an AspX. It is well kitted out already with D and A components. I want to upgrade the Thrusters and Shield to A, but that needs an A powerplant first. Those will take a bit. Everything else is done though.
I smashed out my biggest ever trip yesterday thanks to a passenger mission that was worth a nice 3.7mil. It took me about 1 hr 45 mins, but that is because i went slow and explored, which netted an extra 1mil in system and planetary data.

I've kitted the Cobra out as a combat ship in case i get too scared to use the AspX haha.

Not sure what to do tonight yet. I wanna do more combat, but keen to take the AspX out for a big trip and see how it goes.

I havent been lucky with missions today though. Popped on to deliver a couple tourists before the Mrs comes home. Only 1 or 2 jumps away. Once in the system, the destination was 260k ls away. I actually let it fly for a while and did other things, but nope. It was ridiculous. Then the next system was 68k ls away. Which i did out of stubborness while typing this. heh

Akyra, i liked your set up with biweave and sheild boosters for combat. I am not sure about hull though (for general or combat). On my Cobra i got the one that adds kinetic resist, but the sacrifice to thermal seems pretty extreme. I am almost thinking just the military grade is a better idea. Also, i dont want to buy the wrong thing for the Aspx since hulls a bloody expensive. Any adivce?

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
Last night, I became the proud owner of an AspX.

Congrats! The AspX is one of the most versatile ships in the game, to the point that even CMDRs with billions of dollars still keep one handy. It is hands down the best (unengineered) explorer in the game and can fill just about any other role too.

Akyra, i liked your set up with biweave and sheild boosters for combat. I am not sure about hull though (for general or combat). On my Cobra i got the one that adds kinetic resist, but the sacrifice to thermal seems pretty extreme. I am almost thinking just the military grade is a better idea. Also, i dont want to buy the wrong thing for the Aspx since hulls a bloody expensive. Any adivce?

I generally prefer bi-weave and then throwing on shit ton of shield boosters as the recharge on the bi-weave is so much quicker and the boosters can make up for what they lose in strength (and then some). Though there are some ships where you're better off A-rating the shields and still putting boosters on to create a shield tank, but some ships, like the Vulture, don't have the power to go all out on shields so you beef up the hull and make it an armour tank, the Vulture build I've previously used, the shields could only last for 1-2mins of sustained fire from an Anaconda, but the hull could last 5-6mins of sustained fire.

As far as hull's go, I tend to put military grade on any of my ships that I use for pure combat (Vulture, FDL, etc) and leave lightweight on any other ships I use as it's just not worth the extra weight and lose of jump range if you're trading or exploring.

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
Also, if you have an advanced discovery scanner + detailed surface scanner, here's 3 systems to make you 10m credit easily within 200ls from Sol:

Col 285 Sector GG-N c7-34 = 2x Terraformable Water Worlds, 6x Terraformable High Metal Content Worlds = 3,863,436cr

Col 285 Sector CX-J c9-8 = 1x ELW, 1x TWW, 6x T-HMC = 3,796,350cr (this technically has 2 more T-HMC but they are 89,000ls away from the star so bugger that)

Col 285 Sector TT-H c10-4 = 3x TWW, 3x T-HMC = 3,321,660cr

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »
Raz, you say I have too much money, here's how I do it haha

Stacking planet missions and making 17 million in about 20mins

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2017, 02:46:06 PM »
Jeez. I havent tried a planetry scan mission again yet, since the issues i had last time. I'll pick one up when i see it and try your method to target. How did you get that many missions to the same spot? Using the log in/out trick to refresh the board? I've been avoiding that - trying to not make the game to grindy for myself hehe.

I will check out those systems at some stage though, thanks.

I made the trek into Empire space the other night but wasnt able to find a station i liked - none were as stocked as Conway station where i made myself quite at home. The new community goals are up though, so i might make my way over there today.

Oh, i got my HOTAS today. Will see how this goes. Do you use Dualshock or HOTAS? Any mapping tips for the HOTAS? I was hoping to put thrusters on the hat, but then i dont know where to put the pips. I will try the default mapping and see how i go
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 02:48:51 PM by raz81 »

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2017, 04:19:55 PM »
Nice, I left my HOTAS default, except I bound change fire groups to L3.

In that run I was lucky to get 9 missions from the board, but yes I've been mode hopping to stack missions as the imperial navy grind is a killer.

Finally made Baron and now am the proud owner of an A-rated Imperial Clipper, the INV Mara Sov:

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2017, 09:22:06 PM »
Great ship, congrats.

I've put off my journey to the CG since I can get my first Empire rank...hopping systems with cargo ATM hoping to find the god damn mission

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2017, 10:45:04 PM »
Great ship, congrats.

I've put off my journey to the CG since I can get my first Empire rank.. systems with cargo ATM hoping to find the god damn mission

I went to do the trade CG but it's rubbish...  Very little profit in the sale of goods, and I don't think it'll make it to tier 8.

I parked the Clipper and pulled my FDL out to do the bounty Hunter one

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 10:00:09 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2017, 02:00:43 PM »
What an I missing. I am trying to do the bounty hunter one too, but there is no Rez sites. Do you need to find a nearby system ?

Online AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
What an I missing. I am trying to do the bounty hunter one too, but there is no Rez sites. Do you need to find a nearby system ?

2x normal Rez and 1 Hi-rez at Abroin 10