2018 Gaming Year Review Survey

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
2018 Gaming Year Review Survey
« on: December 11, 2018, 10:30:42 AM »
I thought I'd throw up an end of year gaming survey to start a discussion about this year, what games we all played and any hidden gems we might want to share and what we all might be looking forward to next year.

So lets start of with the big one, whats your Game of the year? (Any honourable mentions?)

What about the worse game of the year, or just something that didnt live up to the hype?

Any indie games / hidden gems you want to share with WpR?

What games are you looking forward to most next year (and beyond)?

Do you think we'll see a PS5 or XboxOneTwoX360 announced in the next 12 months?

Will the loot boot / micro-transaction craze die down or are we stuck with them?

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: 2018 Gaming Year Review Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »
I thought I'd throw up an end of year gaming survey to start a discussion about this year, what games we all played and any hidden gems we might want to share and what we all might be looking forward to next year.

So lets start of with the big one, whats your Game of the year? (Any honourable mentions?)

None. Only game Spaz is enjoying is BFV.

What about the worse game of the year, or just something that didnt live up to the hype?

Destiny 2 - All of it!

Planet Base

Outer Worlds

Not sure. Can't say it will be that exciting considering most games now don't reach big heights on current tech.

Will the loot boot / micro-transaction craze die down or are we stuck with them?

Spaz thinks there will be a big ban hammer in Europe on the entire thing and the devs will have to rethink how they scam. They will try but the good days for them might be over.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:16:45 AM »
Game of the year for me was God of War, whilst other games may have been better than it in one area or another, it just felt like such a complete and refined game that hit the mark in pretty much every category. Honourable mention to Red Dead Redemption 2.

As much as I hate to say it, Fallout 76. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as the yootoob community would have you believe, it does have hell of a lot of problems, more than any game rightly should at the time of its realise, let alone a game from one of the biggest franchises in gaming by one of the top developers / publishers in the world.

Been pretty selective with games this year so havent branched out too much. Did play a very relaxing, fun little game on Switch called Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (it came out on PC/PS4 in 2017 but on Switch this year). Bonus points as its made by an Aussie studio.

Too many to choose from, Resident Evil 2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 early in the year. Keeping an eye on both The Division 2 and Anthem for some co-op fun and further out Cyberpunk 2077 and now The Outer Worlds looks good. Also one from left field as it's highly unlikely to happen, but a korean game called Lost Ark looks fantastic and I'd love to be able to play it.

I think we'll see rumours ramping up but not any official announcement in the next year.

If goverments in particular keep pushing through laws / bans on the gambling aspect, I think loot boxes will die out, but I think we'll be stuck with microtransactions in one way or another for a long time.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 11:55:40 AM »
I like these type of discussions as it reminds me of games I may have missed or forgotton about. My first category is slightly different, and will only mention games I have played....

Games I enjoyed the most this year

Red Dead Redemption 2 -Such great storytelling and overall experience. Not the best story ever told, but the delivery is excellent. R* found a way to make me care about the characters (Arthur Morgan > John Marston), including the horses. World building and environments are excellent, but I am not a fan of the prologue.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Released December 2017, but I played some of it in 2018. Great combat system combined with old school jrpg storytelling. Again, good (not great) story, but decent scifi fantasy is hard to find. Some of the game elements will be a little too old school for many people, but the combat+story saw me through to its end.

God of War - Overall great game, graphically the nearby textures are shockingly good (distance textures not so good), tight enough combat, cinematically great. I did get bored of the combat eventually, and the story wasnt strong enough to pull me through to the end of the game - I did enjoy it alot up to that point though.

Worst Game of the Year - life is too short to worry about it

Indie Games/Hidden Gems

Oxygen Not Included - still in early access I believe, but a nice 2D colony management/survival game by Klei. The game isn't just about feeding colonists, factors like oxygen, temperature, and gasses rising also need to be taken into account.

Games I am looking forward to the most - (you may see a pattern here, single player scifi rpg)

Cyberpunk 2077 - Will it be 2020? Gameplay footage makes me drool. Great setting and NO MICROTRANSACTIONS.

The Outer Worlds - Scifi rpg, no more info needed for me to be interested (yes, I did finish ME Andromeda). The trailer and gameplay footage do look good, but I hope people realise it won't be purely open world like a Bethesda game. Setting sounds interesting so far and sounds like there will be choice and consequence.

Do you think we'll see a PS5 or XboxOneTwoX360 announced in the next 12 months? - there are rumours floating about, but I am not sure when the announcements will be made, console releases will be 2020 though. Sony won't be at E32019 as they want to reveal their next games on the ps5 hardware, will that be at psx?

Will the loot boot / micro-transaction craze die down or are we stuck with them? - I hope lootboxes get regulated, but I don't think it will actually happen. It will require USA to legislate, otherwise lootbox games just simply won't be sold in other markets that do legislate (a pokemon game is no longer available in The Netherlands for example). EA are even still selling their Fifa style lootboxes in Belgium despite the legislation against it.

Microtransactions (mtx) are here for good unfortunately. I have never spent money on them, and they do negatively affect the enjoyment I get from games. I would be ok with paying a bit extra for games to be rid of all the mtx.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:08:26 PM »
Favourite games of the year?

Red Dead Redemption 2 - This game blew me away in terms of the story and how alive the world was. The fluent dialogue options when chatting to NPC's was fantastic.

God of War - Another game that blew me away with how incredibly satisfying the gameplay felt and the no-cut camera was implemented so well. There was a patch where I got bored of the story but only a small patch.

Detroit: Become Human - I might be biased as a Quantic Dream fan but I loved this game. Enjoyed seeing the different stories being told by all the different androids and the amount of choices that could be made was great.

Worst game of the year?

Fallout 76 - I enjoy it when I play it but due to its issues it launched with, it takes the crown.

Favourite Indie title?

Life is Strange 2 - Not sure if this is an indie or a AA game. Haven't really played many indie games come to think of it at the top of my head, I may think of others later when I get on my consoles tonight.

Games I can't wait for?

The Last of Us: Part II - I think this one was always a given.

Cyberpunk 2077 - Cannot wait for this game, it looks right down my alley and the setting is freaking cool.

PS5/Xbox in next 12 months?

No, a lot of rumours but just like the PS4 leaks, we'll see nothing for a year. 2020 will be the year MS and Sony try to outdo each other and explode with details and demos of the next consoles to prove to consumers why they should upgrade.

Will the loot box/micro-transaction craze die down or are we stuck with them?

We're stuck with them although I do see them being called something different and/or developers will start allowing users to buy the item directly rather than gamble with a box. Also, I think we'll see some MP devs start heading back towards season passes as their constant revenue for ongoing games. I also do not want governments getting involved in our games, they've already proven they don't understand video games, what happens when they decide to regulate it?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 01:10:29 PM by Slayer7744 »