PlayStation VR

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Re: PlayStation VR
« Reply #250 on: November 27, 2017, 06:15:50 AM »
Rec Room is now in open beta for PSVR. It is cross play over all VR platforms and it is free. Has decent reviews on steam and the paintball sounds fun.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #251 on: November 27, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
Rec Room is now in open beta for PSVR. It is cross play over all VR platforms and it is free. Has decent reviews on steam and the paintball sounds fun.

Just downloading it to my PS4 now (if I have enough disk space)

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2017, 11:50:53 AM »
I've been seeing a lot of positive stuff on Reddit about it.
Will also download it now

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
  • Origin: kunfushun
  • PSN: kunfushun
  • Steam: _kunfushun
  • Xbox Live: theKunfushun
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2018, 02:33:11 AM »
I am no officially interested in VR just because of this 1 game. Now to contemplate for several months PC or PS4 VR.

I am not sure if PS4 version of this game will be able to set something up like this to view yourself looking awesome.

🐵💤

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
I am no officially interested in VR just because of this 1 game. Now to contemplate for several months PC or PS4 VR.

I am not sure if PS4 version of this game will be able to set something up like this to view yourself looking awesome.

Saw this a while ago but didnt think it was coming to PS4.
This might actually get me to buy the move controllers i've been holding back on...

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #255 on: June 01, 2018, 11:50:48 AM »

Saw this a while ago but didnt think it was coming to PS4.
This might actually get me to buy the move controllers i've been holding back on...

Spaz has zero interest in VR and this vid showed up in my feed .................. and Spaz was bored 30 seconds into it! VR lol! The VR should be $50 because of the lack of games etc.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2018, 03:54:13 PM »
There's over 200 games in VR now... My biggest issue is my glasses, although I haven't tried it with the new ones which are not as wide.

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
« Reply #257 on: June 13, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
Really considering on picking one up now with the current sales.

Since I will need a 2nd move controller and currently have 1 from the days of PS3. Should I just pick up another PS3 move controller new or use since I have the official sony charger dock as well or should I considering buying new as surely these older models battery may be shorter in life?

Looking at around $45 ps3 move controller vs $120 ps4 move controller twin pack. ill probably end up getting a charger dock one day too.
🐵💤

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #258 on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:34 PM »
Really considering on picking one up now with the current sales.

Since I will need a 2nd move controller and currently have 1 from the days of PS3. Should I just pick up another PS3 move controller new or use since I have the official sony charger dock as well or should I considering buying new as surely these older models battery may be shorter in life?

Looking at around $45 ps3 move controller vs $120 ps4 move controller twin pack. ill probably end up getting a charger dock one day too.

@kunfushun Spaz has a BNIB PS3 move controller you can have. Spaz will send it or you can come and pick it up. Spaz has met you before and already knows how creepy you are so Spaz can dig it  :P

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
« Reply #259 on: June 13, 2018, 03:49:59 PM »
cheers spaz will pm ya

remember the time we met for the first time and we had a date to the local shopping centre ebgames :bff: instant bff's
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:01:19 PM by kunfushun »
🐵💤

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #260 on: June 13, 2018, 06:42:31 PM »
cheers spaz will pm ya

remember the time we met for the first time and we had a date to the local shopping centre ebgames :bff: instant bff's

Get a room

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #261 on: October 10, 2018, 08:58:57 AM »
We had a discussion somewhere about adaptors and switches for the psvr since it doesn't pass through hdr. Anyone recommend any?

I found this which seems like it'll pass through everything properly

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-hdmi-splitter-with-4k-uhd-and-hdr-support/p/AC1781?utm_campaign=redirect&utm_source=AC1781r&utm_medium=web

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 09:01:10 AM by raz81 »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #262 on: October 10, 2018, 11:21:40 AM »
We had a discussion somewhere about adaptors and switches for the psvr since it doesn't pass through hdr. Anyone recommend any?

https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-hdmi-splitter-with-4k-uhd-and-hdr-support/p/AC1781?utm_campaign=redirect&utm_source=AC1781r&utm_medium=web

Thoughts?

That's exactly the one I was thinking of. if you have two HDMI ports available on your TV, that is all you need:

I only have one HDMI port available on the TV so I need a switch as well:

I have yet to get these. My only real concern is that the switch will not pass through HDR but the specs seem to say it will.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #263 on: October 10, 2018, 11:38:18 AM »
I've got a headache and haven't had coffee today so my head is hurting trying to comprehend how this splitter works.. do you plug the PS4 into the (input) splitter, then have it output to the TV & PSVR, then the PSVR output to the TV?

If so, does that mean you need it to take 2x HDMI ports, so if you want to use PS Pro in all its glory you'll use 1 hdmi source but need to change to another source to use the PSVR?

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #264 on: October 10, 2018, 11:41:16 AM »
I've got a headache and haven't had coffee today so my head is hurting trying to comprehend how this splitter works.. do you plug the PS4 into the (input) splitter, then have it output to the TV & PSVR, then the PSVR output to the TV?

If so, does that mean you need it to take 2x HDMI ports, so if you want to use PS Pro in all its glory you'll use 1 hdmi source but need to change to another source to use the PSVR?

Yes! Can you see my diagrams above? If you want to see what the PSVR is outputting and not what the PS is sending to the PSVR (which might be interesting) you need a second HDMI port on the TV or a switch.

If you don't care about other people seeing, on the TV, what you are doing in VR you could do away with the connection between the PSVR and the TV.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 11:43:01 AM by Ant »

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #265 on: October 10, 2018, 02:38:19 PM »
@AkyraStrike to further clarify the above, this is all due to a single limitation on the original PSVR box that does not allow it to pass through HDR.

So, this work around isnt required if;
- You dont have a HDR tv, and/or
- Have a V2 PSVR which passes through HDR just fine now

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #266 on: October 10, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
Yes! Can you see my diagrams above?

I couldnt when I first posted but I can see them now. Thanks Ant

@AkyraStrike to further clarify the above, this is all due to a single limitation on the original PSVR box that does not allow it to pass through HDR.

So, this work around isnt required if;
- You dont have a HDR tv, and/or
- Have a V2 PSVR which passes through HDR just fine now

Yeah I know, I've got a V1 PSVR and a 4k HDR TV, so whilst I'm not entirely fussed on finding a solution as my PSVR has barely seen any use for the better part of a year, it would still be nice to have it set up this way incase something takes my fancy going forward

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2018, 01:33:46 PM »

Thoughts?

That's exactly the one I was thinking of. if you have two HDMI ports available on your TV, that is all you need:

Picked one up today, so I'll set it up tonight and report back.

Since I dont have too many HDMI devices, my current plan is to plug the PS4 and VR into 2 HDMI slots directly on the TV, and use the ARC slot to pass audio into my home theater.

That'll leave me with a spare HDMI on the TV for 'something' (xbox for UHD blurays maybe? lol). Pretty sure my home theater passes through 4k just fine, but not sure about HDR - so plugging stuff directly into the TV just seems like the simplest and easiest thing to do for now.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2018, 03:13:34 PM »

Thoughts?

Picked one up today, so I'll set it up tonight and report back.

Since I dont have too many HDMI devices, my current plan is to plug the PS4 and VR into 2 HDMI slots directly on the TV, and use the ARC slot to pass audio into my home theater.

That'll leave me with a spare HDMI on the TV for 'something' (xbox for UHD blurays maybe? lol). Pretty sure my home theater passes through 4k just fine, but not sure about HDR - so plugging stuff directly into the TV just seems like the simplest and easiest thing to do for now.

I'll look forward to your review. My games room TV already has, in no particular order, Switch, Xbox One S, PS4, PS3 and Wii U connected to it, with only 4 HDMI ports...

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2018, 10:46:16 PM »
Yeah definitely let us know how it goes Raz, I'd be keen to get one if it works as intended and allows HDR etc.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2018, 05:23:00 PM »
@Ant @AkyraStrike

TL:DR, I'm probably going to return the switch.

Setting up the new TV was a mammoth task. I think I was up to about 1am fiddling with shit.

I wired everything up in the 'ideal' solution (via switch etc) and started testing. Wasnt long before problems started. None to do with the TV, but jeez if it could go wrong, it did go wrong. Highlights were;
- Used God of War as a test bed for 4k and HDR. Wasnt long before HDR stopped working. Pulled my hair out trying to understand if my ps4 and/or tv and/or settings and/or cables and/or switch was causing the issue. Turns out........the fucking game is bugged with HDR. Every other game was fine.
- Eventually also found an issue with a dodgy cable which caused me some funky results
- Forgot to switch on HDR/Deep colour setting on 1 of my HDMI ports, causing HDR to not work when using that port

There were a few other bits and pieces too (audio passthrough via ARC wasnt giving me 5.1 FFS!!) but meh.. Mix it all together and jeez, what a headache!

ANYWAY

The switch works fine for the PS4. It passes through 4k/HDR and i didnt have an issue running games that use those features. Once i solved all the other random issues, I even got the PSVR running on it via another HDMI port.
BUT
This is where my problems specific to the switch started. I had a lot of trouble switching back from PSVR to normal ps4. All of a sudden, the HDMI slot for the ps4 was being gimped in the same fashion as the PSVR. Even after a reboot of the ps4.
I think its because the switch doesnt properly pass through on/off requests. It looked like the PSVR was still on and engaged, and perhaps because it was on, all the outputs from the switch default to the lowest 'technology' for compatibility. It wasnt until i unplugged the PSVR unit from the powerpoint, and restarted the ps4, did it realise again that my tv could do HDR.
Further, i noticed that my TV would turn on the ps4 when i select the appropriate HDMI slot, but this function did not work when its plugged in via a switch.

At this point it was late and i couldnt be bothered with it anymore. Admittedly my testing methods at this stage were all over the shop, and id like to test and troubleshoot a bit more. I might try again over the weekend, but im pretty convinced its no good.

For now, my PSVR box is hidden directly behind the TV next to the HDMI slots. Since using it is a project in its own right with unpacking the headset, plugging it in, finding headphones, plugging them in, cleaning the lens, finding the controllers......i figure that adding an extra step of plugging/unplugging a HDMI cable on the side of the TV isnt a big deal for the time being.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2018, 08:08:57 AM »
Sounds like quite a hassle.. thats a shame. Thanks for the write up Raz

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #272 on: October 15, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »
Damn, that is annoying. I think I could solve it with another switch (as opposed to the splitter that you got), but it would get messy and expensive. Might scan the web and see if anyone has solved this.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #273 on: October 15, 2018, 10:52:57 AM »
Ok, I am stupid. The switch can be used either way, so swap the AC1781 (splitter) for an AC1760 (switch), then you can do this:

That way the port will be switched and only one device, the PSVR or the TV, will be communicating protocol to the PS4 at any one time. I would only switch it when the PS4 is off although it shouldn't really matter.

edit: for me, with one input, I will need two switches.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #274 on: October 15, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
I ended up revisiting this yesterday (and redoing my cabinet!) to see if i could approach it with a fresh set of eyes. And yep, it works if i pretty much use the splitter as a switch. Basically, it has issues when both the PS4 and PSVR are plugged in, and then when the PSVR is engaged.
To solve;
- Only have PS4 plugged into TV from splitter
When you want to use VR;
- Unplug HDMI cable that is being used to plug splitter directly to TV (for PS4 output)
- Plug in the other cable that runs to the VR box (output from splitting into VR box)
- Turn on VR & switch the TV to the correct HDMI input
When finished with VR and wanting to go back to normal ps4
- Turn off VR (hold the power switch until it beeps and goes red)
- Unplug HDMI cable
- Plug in the other HDMI cable and switch the TV back to the original HDMI input

Provided those steps are followed in order, its all good.

I am guessing i could simply swap the splitter to a switch to save the unplug/plug in hassle, but i have positioned it so that it is easy to get to.

I'm torn if i should replace it though, since i know it works and passes through everything just fine and the switcher doesnt specifically call out HDR compatibility like the splitter does. Thoughts?