Smite: Battleground of the Gods

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
Smite: Battleground of the Gods
« on: March 04, 2016, 08:47:35 AM »
Anyone else playing this on PS4? I got into the Beta with a code from gamespot and gave it a good run last night, had a lot of fun with it in the PvE mode and some tense matches in the PvP mode. Would be good to team up if anyone else is into MOBA's and keen on PS4.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
Re: Smite: Battleground of the Gods
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
Anyone else playing this on PS4? I got into the Beta with a code from gamespot and gave it a good run last night, had a lot of fun with it in the PvE mode and some tense matches in the PvP mode. Would be good to team up if anyone else is into MOBA's and keen on PS4.

I got in also... forgot to download it last night. Will do tonight and hit you up for a run.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 02:08:15 PM »
I hadn't heard of it. Found these

Is that green guy Guan Yu from dynasty warriors?

Looks fun, similiar to dynasty warriors (with magic) which I've played a lot over the years.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 02:27:14 PM »
Thanks Rossi, didn't have time to look for anything to throw in here.

https://www.smitegame.com/

Basically its a free to play third person "MOBA", it's been on PC for a couple of years and Xbox One since last August and is no coming to PS4. Description from Wikia problem explains it best:

In Smite, players take on the visage of a god or other mythological figure and take part in arena combat, using powers and team tactics against other player-controlled gods and non-player-controlled minions.

The gods you control come from all the different pantheon's from around the world, so to answer your question @M-Rossi Guan Yu might be in Dynasty Warriors but he is based on an ancient Chinese god (http://smite.gamepedia.com/Guan_Yu) I believe on the PC version theres 73 gods currently in the game (not sure if PS4 has the same). As it's free to play you only get a small selection of starting Gods and some that rotate to give you a chance to play others. You need to earn favour to unlock more gods (or obvious, pay real money to buy gems to unlock things). There are other cosmetic items like skins, emotes and voices to buy with real cash (though you can earn gems through in game quests and by logging in each day etc.)

The gameplay see's you have a basic attack and 3 ability + an ultimate attack, you also buy equipment to augment your character build in whichever way you choose (these reset each game, think of it like buying your weapons in Counter Strike etc.). There's PvE (5 human gods vs 5 AI gods) with minions running around, or PvP Modes too.

The tutorial does a really good job of introducing the gameplay and mechanics and is worth completing (completing it also earns you favour to use to unlock gods, so again, worth doing).

Also they've said and progress from the beta will carry over to the full release so if you give the beta a go and enjoy it then you wont have to start from scratch.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
Thanks for the info Akyra. I knew Guan Yu was an ancient historical figure in China in 220ad, but didn't realise the game has these type of figures as well as "God's". 

I like the free to play system, & if this has solid fun gameplay, I might be playing it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 03:00:59 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 02:49:36 PM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 02:52:17 PM »
It's a game I had always liked the look of on PC, something that can be fun to jump in and play a few rounds, but also has the depth to last a long time if you really get into it with your character builds. I've never been hugely keen on traditional MOBA's, but the 3rd person perspective of Smite is enjoyable for me.

As for the gods, they come from 8 different pantheons:
Chinese pantheon
Egyptian pantheon
Greek pantheon
Hindu pantheon
Mayan pantheon
Norse pantheon
Roman pantheon
Japanese pantheon

They are only just starting to add in Japanese 'gods', the first one being Amaterasu (http://smite.gamepedia.com/Amaterasu) and the next being Raijin. They have a special event going on at the moment to celebrate the addition of the Japanse pantheon with skins and other such items, I've already been sucked into getting the Harajuku skin for Neith (one of the free starter gods that I like the play style of):

This is the Harajuku skin for Neith:

In comparison, this is the standard Neith model:

The gods are split into 5 class roles:

Assassin
Assassin gods are usually melee and utilize Physical Power to boost their basic attacks and abilities. They are usually gods with high mobility and burst damage, capable of going in, taking down a target, and leaving before they enemy can react to it.

Guardian‎
Guardian gods are usually melee ranged and utilize Magical Power to boost the strength of their basic attacks and abilities. Their damage output tends to be low, but they usually have high crowd control and are capable of withstanding more damage than other classes, allowing them to protect their more vulnerable allies or setting up combinations and creating favorable opportunities for them.

Hunter
Hunter gods are typically ranged and utilize Physical Power to boost the strength of their basic attacks and abilities. Most of them tend to be very item dependent, and use their basic attacks to deal most of their damage.

Mage
Mage gods are usually those with ranged attacks that utilize Magical Power to boost the potency of their basic attacks and abilities. Their main source of damage tends to be their strong god abilities, usually being capable of dealing large amounts of damage in a short period of time, while lacking the ability to withstand damage.

Warrior
Warrior gods are typically melee and utilize Physical Power to boost the strength of their basic attacks and abilities. They are jacks of all trades, who are capable of both dealing and sustaining a fair amount of damage without necessarily excelling at either.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:08:39 PM »
Finally got around to checking my email for the download code and realise it has a spare one for a friend.

So, if you're keen, hit me up and i'll PM it to ya.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2016, 01:59:44 AM »
There's PvE (5 human gods vs 5 AI gods) with minions running around, or PvP Modes too.

Player co-op? ... sign me up

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 02:44:45 AM »
Mimix send the key to smashed, I wont have much time this weekend  to try it out

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 09:12:26 PM »
The game isn't bad at all. Will take a lot of play to get some tactical awareness. So many gods to unlock.....Zeus pls.

I breezed through the tutorial easily but got wrecked in conquest mode 1+4 Vs 5. Don't fully understand the item buying and using as yet.

A bit of unnessassary jiggle at end of game screen but I will be playing it on release as its free to play. I probably won't be into the game enough to research strategies - would just rather enjoy playing it and formulating strategy on the fly. The game caters to a wide variety of skill level so anyone can jump in and enjoy it.

There doesn't seem to be huge grind to be able to unlock gods - and you can aim to unlock your favourite first.  seems to be one of the more enjoyable free to play titles.
edit: actually it will be a grind to unlock gods - i was fooled by the bonus starting credit i was given
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 10:35:02 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Anyone interested in a smite night on Monday? Don't know how long the beta will last.

Have been playing online co-op against AI and would be good to try out some sort of arranged strategy.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:50:10 PM »
Yeah I'd be up for it,  got a few games with @mimix and we won some, lost some then got disconnected in a game we were winning.

I've been playing more of the PvP lately as it's not so predictable. If you have a balanced team and know how to play your class (e.g don't go charging in with a hunter or assassin)  you do well.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 11:02:34 PM »
I'd be keen to jump in for a few rounds.
Still getting my A$$ handed to me most times... i thought i was doing sweet when i was sitting at about 4/5 win ratio... must have just had an unlucky opposing team. Think i've since lost 5 in a row.

The grind to get Gods is really annoying.
Paragon looks sweet! (https://www.epicgames.com/paragon/)
All heroes free and the eye candy, damn!.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:48 PM »

The grind to get Gods is really annoying.

How much currency are you getting per round? On joust I noticed about 30 each time. A hero costs 5500 to unlock, so that would be 183 rounds of joust  :o

Make sure to pickup the free snake god (for ps+ members). That is the easiest way to rack up god kills as its ultimate skill is a beast.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 06:47:08 AM »
I got my Smite beta key in email overnight - 2x keys up for grabs as mimix gave me his already.

I think the beta lasts until the game gets full release.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:21:34 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 08:28:28 AM »
I have almost 6,000 "favour" saved up at the moment. I did buy the welcome pack (starter pack that includes Anubis, a skin for Anubis, and 400 gems) and with the 400 gems I unlocked Bastet (Egyption God of Cats) who is an assassin class god, I've been using her to good effect in the arena mode but not so good in Joust or Conquest.

Also, you get bonuses for just logging in each day (you dont even have to play a match) first 5 days grants you favour and then on days 6 and 7 you get gems (15 on day 6 and 35 on day 7) so effectively if you can log in each day, you'll get 1,250 favour and 50 gems a week.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:33:51 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
Not sure if anyone still plays this, but if there is anyone or if you want something free to play to be a distraction, there is currently a free playstation plus pack available that includes 31 Skins, 20 Gods and Voice Packs, plus the Khepri Announcer Pack.