Star Trek Online (PS4 / Xbone)

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
Star Trek Online (PS4 / Xbone)
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:37:09 AM »
The free to play MMO Star Trek Online is heading to console "this fall (USA)", announcement trailer below:

I played this with @Toborstrike for several hundred hours on PC, it was slightly clunky on the ground but great fun in space. I have fond memories of helping Tobor level (as he started a little later then I) when I would come warping into his instance in my Deep Space Science Vessel (I was a Science Officer) that was about 10x the size of his starting ship and I would sit back and throw shields over him so he could kill everything in sight until I got bored and would 1 shot all.

Not sure if there would be interest here to play once it hits consoles, but it has been confirmed that it's free to play all the way up to level cap (level 60) and you can play through all the storyline's (Federation, Klingon, Romulan), of course there are micro transactions but these are cosmetic.

As it's F2P I'll definitely be looking into it again, that is, as long as NMS hasn't burnt me out on space.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: Star Trek Online (PS4 / Xbone)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 11:04:17 AM »
I played this on PC as well for a while! Spaz will be getting this :)

Offline Slexlaw

• Clan Member
  • What the deuce?
  • PSN: Slexlaw
  • Steam: Endangered Species
  • Xbox Live: Slexlaw
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 11:09:36 AM »
Looks interesting. I wonder if you can romance aliens, Kirk style?

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:37 AM »
Looks interesting. I wonder if you can romance aliens, Kirk style?

I don't recall there being any romancing options in the game, but it was a long time ago I played and they have released an absolute ton of add ons and extra content since then (all of which will be included in the console release). But you can always pretend ;) haha

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 11:33:32 AM »
It may be worth playing through all the story lines if the interface and controls are handled well.

Don't know what to expect as far as grinding is concerned - that aspect could put me off.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »
It may be worth playing through all the story lines if the interface and controls are handled well.

Don't know what to expect as far as grinding is concerned - that aspect could put me off.

I never really went too deep into the end game as I played through the Federation story x 3 (once with each class, Engineer, Tactical and Science) as each classes abilities both on ground and in ships were unique. I played the Klingon story once too (the romulan one was added later and I haven't experienced it).

They did have monthly events and "seasonal events" too that kept things interesting (for example they would have the klingons declare war or a mirror universe invasion etc.)

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:07:16 AM »
I have been playing some STO and it's okay. Enjoyable due to being a fan.

Ground combat is clunky, ship combat is simplistic but still enjoyable, quest are ok in general.

Looks easy to group up and join others in missions. Joined some randoms and we all had our ships in battle, then each of us had our characters in the away team for mission.

Apparently you get free ships every 10 levels up to level 40 - start off with a light cruiser, next free ship is a cruiser at lvl 10.

Not sure what the end game involves but the game is fun enough while waiting for other games to release.