Neverwinter

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
  • PSN: Auldar
Neverwinter
« on: July 09, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
Just found out this D&D title is coming to PS4 in a couple of days if you buy the $20 head start pack or in about 10 days if not.

I'm going to give it a go! It's F2P.

Will probably buy the pack to get the bonus goodies just to support the devs and to get an extra week.

Offline ghosthunter

• Clan Member
  • Gen X Gamer
  • PSN: doombirdzero (PS4)
  • Xbox Live: doombirdzero (360)
Re: Neverwinter
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:01 AM »
Oh, another game thats pop'd out of nowhere. Looks alright, wonder what the combat is like. I'd like one like the Dark Souls combat mechanics, which is why I gave up on ESO.
Praise the Sun!

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
Watched a YouTube vid of the gameplay and it seems pretty fun.

$20 (or $0 if you wait another week) is not exactly a huge investment.

Edit: it's actually $30 in AUD. Just paid for it and am downloading it now.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »
I'll wait for free version and try it. Apparently the pvp is shit but hoping the normal gameplay will be good being d&d
If you weren't aware, it's actually a fairly old game only now being released on ps4

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 10:47:15 AM »
Do we have enough people interested in this to bother setting up a guild and thinking about group dynamics?

May not be a long lasting game but having a guild may be useful for storage space.

Edit: FYI guild setup requires 5 lvl 15+ players to be online at the same time.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:52:03 AM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:20:52 AM »
I used to be a D&D tragic in another life!  May wait until it's free and have a look.

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 04:34:34 PM »
So far it doesn't feel like D&D except for the stat rolls at the beginning and the character classes.

Pretty generic/bland.

I'll keep at it but ESO felt so much better.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 04:41:08 PM »
In that case it's probably better to latch on to another guild.

I noticed fuzzy predator will be in charge of whirlpool forums guild - so that one is out .

Keep us updated  @Auldar
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 04:42:40 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »
I noticed fuzzy predator will be in charge of whirlpool forums guild - so that one is out .

Good reason not to try the game at all just in case :troll:

I'll have a look at this when it launches for free.

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 08:16:23 AM »
As I've started getting used to the interface, this game is growing on me.

Offline ViRuSsK

• Commoner
  • Quack
  • PSN: ViRuSsK
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 09:42:17 AM »
Oh, another game thats pop'd out of nowhere. Looks alright, wonder what the combat is like. I'd like one like the Dark Souls combat mechanics, which is why I gave up on ESO.

Its been on... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games for a long time, just wasnt sure when it was getting released

Hows the controls?

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
  • PSN: Jykel
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2016, 10:40:38 AM »
So far it doesn't feel like D&D except for the stat rolls at the beginning and the character classes.

Pretty generic/bland.

Being and old D&D and AD&D tragic as well, I caved in and gave it a go on my break this week.  It definitely has a D&D feel during character creation, but powers and feats etc are very similar to other MMOs just with a different name :)  I tried the PvP (5v5 domination/control point) and found it a bit laggy but could be fun with a group.

Quests seem pretty generic, mob/add respawn rate is very high in public areas.  Will play it a bit but not sure its where ESO was before its patch of doom.

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »
Controls are ok. The game definitely gets better as you level up.

It's quite deep in terms of mechanics.

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 03:09:56 PM »
Well despite a bit of a steep learning curve, I'm enjoying this game and recommend you guys give it a go.

I even put some RL $$ into it.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
Well despite a bit of a steep learning curve, I'm enjoying this game and recommend you guys give it a go.

I even put some RL $$ into it.

I heard that the game is good until lvl 60, and after that it becomes pay2win. Will definitely check it out this week.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:32:41 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Neverwinter is now available free2play on the PS Store. Also does not require PS+

Offline ghosthunter

• Clan Member
  • Gen X Gamer
  • PSN: doombirdzero (PS4)
  • Xbox Live: doombirdzero (360)
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 09:41:06 AM »
Neverwinter is now available free2play on the PS Store. Also does not require PS+

interesting..... very interesting.

Though Iíve been avoiding multiplayer nights due to our 15mth old at night. Too many interruptions, though Iíve make my RL put up with it Lol!
Praise the Sun!

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 11:22:45 AM »
Just set this to download via the webstore, might jump in and have a look tonight if I can be dragged away from Overwatch or Diablo 3.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:17 PM »

interesting..... very interesting.

Though Iíve been avoiding multiplayer nights due to our 15mth old at night. Too many interruptions, though Iíve make my RL put up with it Lol!

That's ok, AFK for kids is perfectly acceptable... although, pushing you off a cliff while you are AFK is mandatory

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
I created a character last night and went through the tutorial. Not a good first impression. There was latency (delay) when killing enemies - even with no other players around. When I reached the first major player hub the frame rate dropped quite low.

You can also only have 2 created characters on free2play - for this reason it may be hard to find healers.

ESO is certainly a much more polished game.

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 06:22:24 PM »
Agreed but this is quite fun if you give it some time. You also get another slot if you buy 500+ Zen (you get the the First Time Buyers pack).

Just cause it's F2P doesn't mean you're doing something wrong by giving the Devs some money, even if it's just a little.

I paid $30 for the early access and keys etc and have put another $68 in and am tempted to put even more in.

You don't have to though.

Offline ViRuSsK

• Commoner
  • Quack
  • PSN: ViRuSsK
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 10:15:18 PM »
You earn some diamond things while playing, which can be traded to zen (the premium currency)

at current rates you could get about 170 zen a day

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
Played this a bit yesterday, did the tutorial bit and a few quests, it feels old and clunky and not very polished, won't be sinking any real money into it but might go back to it now and then inbetween games.

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
  • PSN: Jykel
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2016, 09:41:49 AM »
I have played it a bit, I think I am a level 25 cleric, and my alt is level 10 GWF.   I grouped up with some old friends who had played it on PC back in 2013 which made understanding the currency systems and some of the mechanics a bit clearer.

Big problem I have it inventory space.  You very quickly run out of space, with the game wanting you to pay real $ to increase it, or grind a specific currency.  Bank space and shared character space is also very limited. 

I did queue with some randoms for some dungeon delving, and it was ok, with a nifty loot system when grouped ;)  Had more f/r and latency issues grouped as I think the servers are EU based.

Watched a few vids of end-game footage, and it does look like a lot of fun, for me its a bit late to the PS4 party.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 04:59:02 PM »
I gave this game a shot,  level 38 now and I actually think it's really good. I havent spent a cent on it yet either. It's quite deep and takes a little to get your head around (there is still a tonne of stuff I don't know / understand) but that is actually a good thing.

I recommend it