Rimworld (PC)

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Rimworld (PC)
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:01:28 PM »
Rimworld is finally coming to STEAM in early access (alpha 14) on July 16. It is playable and has enough content to be considered almost finished.

Described as a "sci fi colony sim" which is a cross between dwarf fortress and firefly.

http://rimworldgame.com/

Manage colonists' moods, needs, individual wounds, and illnesses. Engage in small-team tactical gunplay. Fashion structures, weapons, and apparel from metal, wood, stone, cloth, or futuristic materials. Fight pirate raiders, hostile tribes, rampaging animals, giant tunnelling insects and ancient killing machines. Tame and train cute pets, productive farm animals, and deadly attack beasts. Watch colonists develop relationships with family members, lovers, and spouses. Discover a new generated world each time you play. Build colonies in the desert, jungle, tundra, and more. Manage quirky colonists with unique backstories, traits, and skills. Learn to play easily with the help of an intelligent and unobtrusive AI tutor.

The game can already be purchased (DRM free) via their website for US$30, and that will also get you a steam key without valve taking a 25% cut.
Edit: Steam keys are no longer given if the game is bought through the rimworld website. This is due to fraud - so if anyone wants a steam key it is best to buy on the steam store, so as to avoid getting a stolen key.

I have enjoyed the game alot over the last 12 months of development, especially playing with a modpack called "Hardcore SK Rimworld" - don't yet know if that modpack will be on steam workshop or not.

Check it out on twitch:
https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/RimWorld
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:22:41 AM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
Re: Rimworld (PC)
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
I just found this in my Steam Queue a couple of weeks ago and instantly was intrigued as it is the same style as Prison Architect. Might wait for a price drop though.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
I just found this in my Steam Queue a couple of weeks ago and instantly was intrigued as it is the same style as Prison Architect. Might wait for a price drop though.

yeah, imo $20 would be a more appropriate price for the vanilla game without mods.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 12:06:05 PM »
Updated OP.

Buying from the dev website will give you both the drm free version AND a steam key. Valve will also not moneygrab their 25% cut this way.

Edit: This is no longer the case
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 12:17:57 AM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:57:55 PM »
Colony 1 - just played a bit to get accustomed to the vanilla game. Had a pet cat that apparently preferred the taste of human corpse more than its regular kibble food. Weird useless cat.

Colony 2 - Random event where some chickens "joined my colony". Trying to setup chicken breeding to eventually produce meat and eggs for food. Little chicks all over the place now eating all my food - will need to do a cull if I want to survive through the winter. 2 colonists also had a punch-on after a social insult.

nice little details in the game but not as in-depth as dwarf fortress

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-18-fraudsters-force-rimworld-dev-to-stop-giving-out-steam-keys

Tynan Sylvester, the indie developer behind sci-fi colony sim RimWorld, said he had to shut down Steam key distribution from developer Ludeon Studios' website in order to avoid "thousands of dollars" in chargeback fees and lost sales.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 12:19:42 AM »
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-18-fraudsters-force-rimworld-dev-to-stop-giving-out-steam-keys

Tynan Sylvester, the indie developer behind sci-fi colony sim RimWorld, said he had to shut down Steam key distribution from developer Ludeon Studios' website in order to avoid "thousands of dollars" in chargeback fees and lost sales.

Cheers Slayer, updated the OP.

Glad I got in early.