• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
No Man's Sky - Hints and Tips - Full of spoilers
« on: August 11, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
a place to share hints and tips, but this thread will likely be full of spoilers....so....you've been warned.

Online SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
Re: No Man's Sky - Hints and Tips - Full of spoilers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:24 AM »
if you die

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 11:23:19 AM »
Tip #1: If you see the Mix creature shoot it on site! It's creepy looking!!!! @mimix

Offline mimix

• Officer
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »
Tip #1: If you see the Mix creature shoot it on site! It's creepy looking!!!! @mimix

Hahaha. I'd say chase it. From your video, he looks like a crazy chicken. Will he still run without a head?

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 12:30:51 PM »

Hahaha. I'd say chase it. From your video, he looks like a crazy chicken. Will he still run without a head?

lol I'm not sure what will happen.

Online SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 12:55:28 PM »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 01:27:39 PM »

I found that out as soon as I started the game.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 11:57:05 AM »
Taken from reddit, definitely some handy things in there, most are easily worked out just by playing but some could've been missed by some people so I thought I'd share:

-----Basics-----
Flashlight: Hit "up" on the D-Pad.
Restore HUD: Hit "left" on the D-Pad
Melee:   R1.
Triple Zoom:   When zooming (L2), you can click the right thumbstick to zoom in further two times. (This makes analyzing from a distance much easier.)
Waypointing:   Scanning with the visor(L2) a structure will mark it white, using the scan ability (L3) will remove it.

-----Movement-----
Sprint Hop:   While walking/sprinting tap melee and then immediately tap jump. You'll get a massively boosted jump, roughly 4x the speed of sprinting, which really helps with getting around on foot.
Jetpack Climb:   When face-to-face with a steep hill or cliff, you can hold down the jetpack button, while walking forward, and the jetpack will help you climb vertically. It will never run out like it does when jumping through the air.
Underwater Movement:   If you are underwater and hold X you will climb faster but it doesn't use any jet pack fuel. To swim faster....activate jetpack to propel yourself out of the water. While hovering a fair distance above the water, release jetpack and look down. After dropping back into the water, look towards the direction you want to go and you will continue to swim at the same speed as your jetpack. Surface for oxygen when needed and repeat.

-----Inventory/Equipment/Upgrades/-----
Inventory Stacking:   Each slot in your suit can hold up to 250 of any resource. Each slot in your ship can hold up to 500.
Targeted Transfer Into:   If you hit Triangle on an empty slot in the ship or exo-suit inventory you will be able to select the item from the other inventory that you wish to place there.
Upgrades Add-Up:   Upgrades for your ship, suit, and multitool are additive. (Ex: Having a +1 mining beam cool down, and a +2 mining beam cool down is better than just having the +2.)
Upgrade Placement:   Upgrades should be placed next to the item they're boosting, or next to a previous upgrade that's connected to the same item. (Ex: A scanner upgrade should be be placed next to the scanner, or next to a previous upgrade that's connected to the scanner.) When this happens, you'll see a colored ring appear around the upgrade, which means the upgrade is working at max capacity. 
   Most upgrades will work regardless of where they're placed, but clustered upgrades (colored rings mentioned above) give bonuses to each other, even when the cluster itself is not next to the parent item. For instance, Cannon Damage +1, +2 and +3 still combine together and give huge bonuses even when they're not connected to the Plasma Cannon item.
Recharging equipment:   You can quickly recharge suit and ship components by "stacking" the recharging resource on top of the component. (Ex. To recharge your Life Support, click on a red resource as if you were going to move it to another slot, and then click on Life Support.)
Weapon Switching and Reloading:   Hit Triangle to switch weapons in your ship, and to switch weapons on your multi-tool. Hit Square to reload weapons on your multi-tool. Use L1 to use the grenade launcher (once installed), and when out of ammo, use L1 to reload as well.
Mining Laser Quick Cooldown:   While mining, let go of the trigger for just a second before overheating, and immediately start firing again. (Probably bug, not a mechanic.)

-----Ship-----
Cockpit View:   External cockpit models on ships affect your view while inside it. Pick the bubble-style or other seamless models for best visibility.
Ship Take-off Without Resource Use:   If you land on a landing pad, or by a designated landing post/callback post, at an Outpost or other location, you don't use any fuel on takeoff. Also landing on a landing pad allows you to sell items from your ship at a trading terminal.
Pirate Attacks:   The more precious your cargo the more likely you'll get targeted by pirates.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 12:06:03 PM »
Kool thanks @AkyraStrike ! Some good tips there!

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Pirate Attacks:   The more precious your cargo the more likely you'll get targeted by pirates.

Must be all that gold I was mining >:(

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »

Must be all that gold I was mining >:(

That's exactly what I had my ship full of when I was jumped.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 02:54:31 PM »
Thanks guys, that zooming means I may finally be able to scan those damn birds

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

If anyone at all has tips on how to scan the god damn %$&^#$%^#$^ birds please please share! On all the planets I've been on, I've only been able to achieve a scan of a bird once! I've even climbed as high as I could on a mountain very close to where some were circling and still no luck as they move too quick to keep in zoom.

Left 2 planets only needing the birds / flying creatures scanned to complete it because I just couldnt do it.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2016, 03:16:03 PM »
Left 2 planets only needing the birds / flying creatures scanned to complete it because I just couldnt do it.

Pretty much my exact experience. I found a planet thriving with wildlife but the only damn one I couldn't get to register was the birds!

Went to another planet and it scanned almost immediately on the closest zoom. Wish it corollated with the other planet.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2016, 03:33:43 PM »

Pretty much my exact experience. I found a planet thriving with wildlife but the only damn one I couldn't get to register was the birds!

Went to another planet and it scanned almost immediately on the closest zoom. Wish it corollated with the other planet.

Bugger, I was hoping the zoom would help.  Bloody things keep flying overhead teasing me.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 03:36:42 PM »
Google is your friend:

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »
Haha cheers @Ant will do that next time. I've only once managed to scan one in the air but I think it was glitched out and stuck sitting still.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 09:04:39 PM »
If you have a multitool with upgrades in every slot, is there any way to check which upgrades you could possibly install? The only way I have found to check requires a free upgrade slot.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »
Looks like there is a bug regarding 100% planets.

Hold 'x' over the "100% box" in the discoveries menu to claim the bonus units and recognition for the journey achievement.

If you wait until you have several planets at 100% before doing this, looks like you will only get bonus credits for 1 planet, and journey achievement recognition for 100% that 1 planet. Afterwards you cannot press x on the "100% box" for any other planet you discovered.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 06:13:08 PM »
If you have a multitool with upgrades in every slot, is there any way to check which upgrades you could possibly install? The only way I have found to check requires a free upgrade slot.
I dont think there is anyway to see your blueprints without tying to install it in a free slot. (goes for multitool, exosuit or ship)

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »

Hold 'x' over the "100% box" in the discoveries menu to claim the bonus units and recognition for the journey achievement.

If you wait until you have several planets at 100% before doing this, looks like you will only get bonus credits for 1 planet, and journey achievement recognition for 100% that 1 planet. Afterwards you cannot press x on the "100% box" for any other planet you discovered.

Good to know, I'll wait for the patch then.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
@spazmanaught this will be spoilers.
To get your Atlas pathway underway, at the very start of the game, there was a beacon next to your crashed ship. You had to have opened it then Accept the Atlas path. (Not 100% sure if you miss this what it means).
You need to follow the hints to an Outpost where an alien will give you a Hyperdrive blueprint. Then build it and fuel it.
Then after you warp 3 times and a Space Anomly will happen, you then warp to the Atlas station and it gives you an Atlas stone. On the next warp you get a space anomly and go there. The gek will give you an Atlas pass v1. The priest asks what you want help with, then points you in that direction.
If he doesn't (which happens to some) when on a planet, and you see a Signal Scanner  (beacon like device that requires a bypass chip; which has a red laser shooting vertically in the air) use it, as many times as required.

1. Search for Command Outpost, you want the Operation Centre, to potentially find Atlas Passes as blueprint from alien NPC.
2. To find a Transmission Tower. Go there and decifer the code correctly. Then it will point to a Crashed Ship. (many per planet) ships will be either -1, same or +1/2 slots.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 11:17:01 PM by M-Rossi »

Online SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 09:56:37 PM »

i have this bug at the moment

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 09:11:04 AM »
@spazmanaught this will be spoilers.
To get your Atlas pathway underway, at the very start of the game, there was a beacon next to your crashed ship. You had to have opened it then Accept the Atlas path. (Not 100% sure if you miss this what it means).
You need to follow the hints to an Outpost where an alien will give you a Hyperdrive blueprint. Then build it and fuel it.
Then after you warp 3 times and a Space Anomly will happen, you then warp to the Atlas station and it gives you an Atlas stone. On the next warp you get a space anomly and go there. The gek will give you an Atlas pass v1. The priest asks what you want help with, then points you in that direction.
If he doesn't (which happens to some) when on a planet, and you see a Signal Scanner  (beacon like device that requires a bypass chip; which has a red laser shooting vertically in the air) use it, as many times as required.

1. Search for Command Outpost, you want the Operation Centre, to potentially find Atlas Passes as blueprint from alien NPC.
2. To find a Transmission Tower. Go there and decifer the code correctly. Then it will point to a Crashed Ship. (many per planet) ships will be either -1, same or +1/2 slots.

OK I don't recall getting the first clue or talking to an alien but I have a warp coil and have travelled to the next system. If I have to do 3 then this i maybe why nothing else has happened(only done 1 jump). And I've only been going to the monoliths at the transmission joints. I'll ty the other things. This is the one thing I give this game a 1 spaz for. Explaining stuff. I assume you are meant to be a human adult so surely you would know some stuff.

Cheers Rossi

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
Also note, if you find a Gek Transmission Tower (or just try on any), Once you get the correct code and are shown a Crashed Ship, interact with the console again, and put the same code in again (do not do more than 3 times) and you will get 3 crashed ship all in close proximity.
Then just find another transmission Tower and repeat, yes on the same planet.
I did this twice on the same planet, before i decided to go to the next planet. Then after that went to the next star to do again.