Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Re: Middle Earth: Shadow of War
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
From what I have seen, the nemesis system has been taken up a level. Lots of great interactions with captains (I won't spoil any stories) and the game now has pitfighting where you send in your allied orcs to fight against others.

I saw the following happen on stream last night: player takes 2 bodyguard orcs with him to attack a fortress. 1 bodyguard dies early on. Player reaches orc in charge of fortress and the final battle begins. Player struggles and boss orc knocks him down and about to kill him. Out of nowhere 2nd bodyguard orc hits boss orc to ground and proceeds to crush his skull, saving the player from certain death. Player takes control of fortress and promotes the hero bodyguard to be his fortress leader.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2017, 01:02:52 PM »
I saw the following happen on stream last night: player takes 2 bodyguard orcs with him to attack a fortress. 1 bodyguard dies early on. Player reaches orc in charge of fortress and the final battle begins. Player struggles and boss orc knocks him down and about to kill him. Out of nowhere 2nd bodyguard orc hits boss orc to ground and proceeds to crush his skull, saving the player from certain death. Player takes control of fortress and promotes the hero bodyguard to be his fortress leader.

Thats pretty epic, and a just reward for that Orc haha :up:

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2017, 10:41:26 PM »
I have been really enjoying playing this. I have barely done any story and am just running around and killing captains. Run into one and there is normally another 2 close by!
I killed one guy after his feast and then his blood brother just appeared and slaughtered me. This guy freaks me out.

I dont look forward to running into him again  :grave:

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
I do the vendetta mission and he almost kills me with one strike, i flee to get some health and manage to gain intel.
He is mortally vulnerable to beasts. I hunt him down and shoot some meat to attract a caragor, a caragor runs in and kills him in one bite! I suspect he will be back ...

Offline Snook__13

• Clan Member
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
Got this the other day for pc, very well optimised which is nice and playing with mouse and keyboard which works surprisingly well... makes using the bow very easy.

Playing on nemesis difficulty and it's been a very souls like start haha, id go after one captain and be going ok and then I'd get swarmed and eventually another captain shows up. Lots of death. Still at the starting area so maybe I need to level up a bit more.

This one orc has come back to life 3 times and is literally more machine now than man. Hopefully I've seen the last of him

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2017, 11:46:15 AM »
Only just reached Act 2, I've spent so much time just doing random uruk killing. I want to focus on the story a bit to unlock some abilities.
My nemesis (our nemesis carried over from Shadow of Mordor the first game) Dhargue the tongue wouldn't stop talking in the arena... he killed me something like half a dozen times (some rounds went on a long time back and forth) before i managed to kill him. He had death defying, arrow proof, fireproof, stealth proof and he had some curse ability. Plus did some wacked instant teleport then curse hit which took 90% health. Finally got him alone one round and froze him before he adapted. Now he talks no more...

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
Sounds like fun

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2017, 02:01:48 PM »
Nice one Rossi, sounds like its a good challenge.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2017, 02:07:47 PM »
@M-Rossi are you having any issues with targeting in combat? (Targeting with sword combat, not bow) That seemed to be the only complaint from the streams I watched.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 02:11:04 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2017, 07:04:09 AM »
The nemesis difficulty is great. It's quite tough and is really a challenge. That was the main issue with Shadow of Mordor  (got to easy once you levelled up).
The gear / loot system is great and adds another layer to the rpg side.
The captains have much more variety of procedurally generated abilities and their levels go up to 60 (shadow of mordor capped at 20).
Played maybe 20 hours and I am about lvl 12 and most captains range from 10 - 22 in this fortress. I just opened the act 2 which
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, I'm keen to do a fortress siege too!
@SmashedPumpkin the sword targeting isn't any different from the first and I don't really have any issues  (on ps4 with ds4), maybe streamers using a kb / mouse find it harder? But the one annoying thing about character movement is when Tailon just wants to roll against a wall rather than climb it  :facepalm: annoying when your low health and trying to escape a horde of blood thirsty uruks

The developers have played really loose with the lore from the writings of Toilken but as a game it's  great. Having recently listen to the audiobook the Similarion  (Toilkens book which reads like the bible and sets up how the world middle Earth was created and how all it's beings came to pass, so much happens before the hobbit / lotr)
Shelob the spider chick

is child to one of the original evil spirit's.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:07:43 AM by M-Rossi »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »
Respect, I have tried to read the Similarion several times

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2017, 10:23:01 AM »
Respect, I have tried to read the Similarion several times
Audio books  :up:
Tbh it was hard listening beyond halfway But fascinating content

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
It's no wonder that I haven't progressed in the story much...
This is pretty much what happens to me every time I play sow... 

So hunting a specific captain for revenge (i forget who) and I was killed by a random grunt, Maku. He gets promoted to Maku the killer. So I am raised from the dead and I go to get my revenge. Hear some weird screams a while back on my way to find Maku, then notice them again here, Mazu the Screamer has been tracking me, he is alone captain so I can pick off. Kill him without much fuss and he had the blood brother trait, shouldn't be a worry for now. Climb back up top of building to scope out the area and I get ambushed by Ratak Worm-Liker  avenging his blood brother (also we have history, I killed him and left him to die but the maggots and worms kept him alive), he has remembered my moves and I can't land a hit. I daze him with an arrow then try to quickly take him out before he recovers (& possibly adapts to the arrows) and get killed by a random grunt Dugz... he gets promoted to Dugz Dead Killer... so it begins again.. i will get revenge on Dugz.. wait who was I originally trying to kill  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 11:06:55 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 11:57:01 AM »
Is this due to the level you are playing on? I can see that going from fun to annoying in about six seconds.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
Is this due to the level you are playing on? I can see that going from fun to annoying in about six seconds.

I agree...

The mechanic itself is really interesting and I like the idea of it.. but does it just end up in a repeating cycle of inconvenience when you're just trying to complete an objective?

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 12:28:27 PM »

I agree...

The mechanic itself is really interesting and I like the idea of it.. but does it just end up in a repeating cycle of inconvenience when you're just trying to complete an objective?
Nah it's just me playing solo Yolo assasin lol, plus I'm playing on Nemesis difficulty (hardmode).
Last night before this I actually did like 3 storey missions.
You can still run when low health but no herbs to regain health so I normally find an orc who hasn't seen me and stealth drain / dominate for some health.
Also I'm at the point where I just unlocked dominate and can get guys fighting for me as well as captains as body guards so it puts things on a more level playing field.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 12:32:01 PM »
Angry Joe is pretty on the money

I'm probably only 2/5 through the game maybe 20ish hours; so haven't got to the end game / fortress section.
But you will get at least 20 - 50 hours fun gameplay from SOW

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2017, 03:47:03 PM »
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:18:47 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 11:16:39 PM »
My nemesis (our nemesis carried over from Shadow of Mordor the first game) Dhargue the tongue wouldn't stop talking in the arena... .......
Now he talks no more...

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2017, 11:22:56 PM »
...get killed by a random grunt Dugz... he gets promoted to Dugz Dead Killer... so it begins again.. i will get revenge on Dugz..
I got in a battle with Dugz then I recruited him for my Army. He was powerful at lvl 20 (same as me).
We did our first fortress assault, trying to capture the first zone he fell in battle. He was bleeding out but I couldn't save him.
I managed to claim the fortress and continue on my journey until...

So Dugz cheated death, came after me to have his revenge for not saving him. He got a new title! We fight for a while and another captain joins in. I tried to recruit Dugz again but he has Iron will trait, I try to execute him and he has death defying! He the adapts to my strategy on him. Then I manage to cut his arm and leg off. I hope that's the last I see of him...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:30:00 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:59 AM »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:18 PM »

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2018, 07:20:48 AM »
...get killed by a random grunt Dugz... he gets promoted to Dugz Dead Killer... so it begins again.. i will get revenge on Dugz..
I got in a battle with Dugz then I recruited him for my Army. He was powerful at lvl 20 (same as me).
We did our first fortress assault, trying to capture the first zone he fell in battle. He was bleeding out but I couldn't save him.
I managed to claim the fortress and continue on my journey until...

So Dugz cheated death, came after me to have his revenge for not saving him. He got a new title! We fight for a while and another captain joins in. I tried to recruit Dugz again but he has Iron will trait, I try to execute him and he has death defying! He the adapts to my strategy on him. Then I manage to cut his arm and leg off. I hope that's the last I see of him...
Dugz keeps cheating death! Now he is a lvl about (same as me) legendary uruks with some good traits, he would be a good overlords to protect a fortress in online sieges.
He ambushed me while I was attacking another captain. I vaguely remembered him but since it was a few months between I last played my memory was rusty. He was higher lvl than me (you can only recruit uruks at or below your lvl) and iron will so I killed him and got a legendary chest piece, later i see him ambush  me when I change region so I shame him (to try lower his level and remove iron will trait. Again he ambushed me, still iron will so I can't recruit so I shame him, i do this about 3 times and he is down to lvl 25 still woth iron will.  I decide to let him kill me to lvl him up to later kill for another legendary
Drop, dugz gets me down and is about to land tge finsl blow when my follower who is dugz rival saves me and kills dugz! He drops a legendary chest piece again. That's the last I thought I would see of him until this

He is back! Still iron will so I shame him.
Tonight I will hunt him down and if I can't turn his iron will I will defeat him again!

I love this game. Easily goty 2017. Especially with the free DLC that was added recently with online fighting pits, online conquest and endless sieges.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »

Patch 3.178GB on ps4
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 02:35:37 AM by M-Rossi »