• YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
Galaxy S8+ Preliminary Review
« on: April 27, 2017, 12:19:47 AM »

Display.

It's gorgeous. The large 6.2" AMOLED display makes for a great device to watch content on or to review photos/videos taken on the great camera. Considering the screen is 6.2", it doesn't feel like it. It's not as wide as the Note series but instead taller, fits nice in the hand and once accustomed to the taller frame, you'll love it too.

Sound.

I don't know if it's a placebo effect or not but this phone is much louder than my Galaxy S6. Even the simple notification pop is more of a nuisance than it was on my S6 due to how loud it is (obviously this can be rectified by reducing System volume).

Device itself.

As stated earlier, the device is taller than the Note series despite its 6.2" screen. The buttons have a nice click to them (lock, volume, bixby) and not squashy like some devices. The Bixby button is a bit of an annoyance when you accidentally hit it while trying to lower the volume. Fingerprint sensor is not in a bad place, yes, it was weird at first when you're not used to it but once you are, it's second nature to reach for the sensor and not touch the camera at all.

Camera.

Camera I don't believe has changed much from the S7 but a minor upgrade from the S6. I haven't been to anywhere too exciting to warrant taking photos so I can't provide much feedback but early photos I took on the weekend say it's what you expect from Samsung devices from S6 & S7. Not bad photos, great photos but hasn't changed much, they're saving that for the Note 8 I'd say.

Software.

The UX is pretty damn smooth and a great upgrade from my S6. I am yet to encounter any hitches during normal usage, only time was when I'm connecting/disconnecting from the VR headset but I forgive it during those moments due to it jumping between two different modes. The Biometric Scanners work great. I tested face scanner, works great in good lighting, obviously sucks in poor lighting. I use the Iris Scanner, that works great, sometimes find myself staring at the phone and have to open my eyes more for it to scan but should that take too long or fail, I can immediately just use the fingerprint scanner. The software allows for 2 Biometric options (Face OR Iris PLUS Fingerprint) as well as a PIN, Password or Pattern after sliding the lock screen.

Battery.

This is a hard thing to review as the device is only new and will obviously wear out as the year goes on but so far it can last me 1.5 days on one charge or one day if I decide to play around with it more than usual.

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
  • Origin: kunfushun
  • PSN: kunfushun
  • Steam: _kunfushun
  • XBLive: theKunfushun
Re: Galaxy S8+ Preliminary Review
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 02:33:35 AM »
Prior to me tinkering with my settings etc. my battery life from a 100% charge when I go to bed around midnight is down by up to 20% by 9am. It is likely because of notifications and emails pushing/fetching and probably the always on display.

Since then I have set a schedule for my always on display to switch off in the evening before I to go bed, turned off a few notifications etc. I dont think I have it close to optimised by I once I do I will monitor the battery life again. I think my battery life on my usage will only last me 1 day or less.

So far I find that my iPhone 6 plus had better battery life than this S8+

What screen resolution are you running on as well? 1080p or 1440p?

FYI, the Bixby button, there is an app called Bixby Remapper which works after the patch Samsung has pushed out.
🐵💤

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
Re: Galaxy S8+ Preliminary Review
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 07:06:36 AM »
What screen resolution are you running on as well? 1080p or 1440p?

FYI, the Bixby button, there is an app called Bixby Remapper which works after the patch Samsung has pushed out.

I'm running 1440p.

Oh right, I saw something from Ausdroid about it still working but didn't really look into it. Will give it a go.