Monster Hunter World

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 03:14:48 PM »
Beta now available for download in the demo section of the store.

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
  • PSN: pakhin_lau
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2017, 11:00:36 AM »
Just started playing it. Really big changes to the gameplay. Framerate seems to drop a little every now and then, but the graphics are impressive.
If anyone wants to hunt together, feel free to add me :bff:
Nintendo SW-0354-8208-4517

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »
Just started playing it. Really big changes to the gameplay. Framerate seems to drop a little every now and then, but the graphics are impressive.
If anyone wants to hunt together, feel free to add me :bff:

Are you playing on an OG or Pro PS4? I only played the first hunt so far but didn't notice too many dips, playing on PS Pro and selected resolution as priority.

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 07:51:15 PM »
Are you playing on an OG or Pro PS4? I only played the first hunt so far but didn't notice too many dips, playing on PS Pro and selected resolution as priority.

OG, but mostly only noticeable when I was using a bow and strafing around the target, and only in one or two instances. Ran fine when using the charge blade.

Online Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2017, 09:14:26 PM »
I'm thoroughly enjoying this beta but one thing I noticed is the game is very washed out. The brightness settings are useless as I've already set mine down to 1 and still washed out even with HDR switched off.

I'm probably just too used to the colourful art style of other games.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 10:16:06 PM »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the beta - it's only showing off a certain aspect of the game. The tracking part is just following a green trail to an area to find some clues, then following the green trail again. The fights themselves are good and have a dynamic aspect - including other monsters joining in the fight. Can also damage limbs and sever tails.

Monster difficulty scales to the amount of players in your group (I assume just hp scale).

Lots of weapons to choose from, but realistically I would only use a few - I suppose that adds depth and replayability and it would take time to master each style.

Fishing is a bit lame.

Graphically it does look washed out as it did in all the trailers, but it looks so much better than past MH games.

Certainly more interested in the game now that I have been able to see it in action, but need to know more details about the parts of the game not in the beta.

Also: I don't like time limits.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 10:31:53 PM by SmashedPumpkin »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
Enjoying the "beta" *cough* demo *cough*..

Finished the 3 available quests and also ran around to fight other random monsters. Finished the 3rd quest in multiplayer as well and it made it much more enjoyable working with a team.

Weapons wise, I tried: Sword and Shield, Charge Blade, Switch Axe, Bow, Duel Blades, Insect Glaive & Gunlance. Out of those, duel swords were fun and out of the heavier weapons, the gunlance was interesting while the charge blade and switch axe felt borderline OP, but by far I really enjoy the insect glaive and think I'll end up starting with that. I sucked with the box, could barely hit the target.

Agree that the graphics look a bit washed out, not sure why that is, but its not a major turn off.

Certainly more interested in the game now that I have been able to see it in action, but need to know more details about the parts of the game not in the beta.

Also: I don't like time limits.

Not really sure how much more there is to it, other than the obviously crafting of new armour and weapons and levelling things up etc., its another grind game where you rinse and repeat to get stronger. I think there is some form of story to it, but I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot.

And yes, I'm never a fan of time limits in games.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 11:21:09 PM by AkyraStrike »

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
  • Origin: kunfushun
  • PSN: kunfushun
  • Steam: _kunfushun
  • XBLive: theKunfushun
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »
hmm, might just wait for dauntless on pc since its f2p.
🐵💤

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 09:57:42 PM »
Finished the 3rd quest in multiplayer as well and it made it much more enjoyable working with a team.....

Not really sure how much more there is to it, other than the obviously crafting of new armour and weapons and levelling things up etc., its another grind game where you rinse and repeat to get stronger. I think there is some form of story to it, but I wouldn't be expecting a whole lot.

And yes, I'm never a fan of time limits in games.

My multiplayer adventures have not been good - half the group usually run off to fight the wrong monster.

The rest of the game, as you mentioned, is the crafting and grinding. I assume you will be able to freely explore the areas without having to fail hunts.

All 3 of the hunts feel a bit too easy - and I'm not a great at 3rd person hack and slash combat. Hopefully there will be more challenge in the late game hunts.

Still not sure if I would pay full price - that may depend on the likelyhood of getting regular groups together

hmm, might just wait for dauntless on pc since its f2p.

I have heard people comment who have played both games - dauntless doesn't even come close to the quality of MH.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2017, 08:33:59 AM »
My multiplayer adventures have not been good - half the group usually run off to fight the wrong monster.

They may have been going off to fight a harder monster.. though they should've said so in chat if thats what they wanted to organise. Besides the 3 quest monsters (Great Jagras, Barroth & Anjanath), there were 2 harder monsters to find and fight; Diablos &  Ratholos, plus another fish monster Jyuratodus.

Here's Arrekz taking on Diablos, then Jyuratodus and then finishing the quest against Barroth:

The rest of the game, as you mentioned, is the crafting and grinding. I assume you will be able to freely explore the areas without having to fail hunts.

From what I've read, there's no direct free roam mode, but once you complete a quest you can choose to return to base or continue to freely roam after that.

All 3 of the hunts feel a bit too easy - and I'm not a great at 3rd person hack and slash combat. Hopefully there will be more challenge in the late game hunts.

The 3 demo mons had their health reduced, and the timer for the quests was severely reduced. If the past games are anything to go by, most quest timers are 50mins. There will be much tougher fights in the full game and need to learn monster types and their moves to succeed.

Still not sure if I would pay full price - that may depend on the likelyhood of getting regular groups together

Thats fair, I will be getting it as my partner loved watching me play the beta and said to me that she'd buy it for me (who am I to say no? :troll: ) hopefully we can get a hunting party going and if there's enough of us, set up a WpR Guild.

Here's the latest trailer from PSX too:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:46:27 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2017, 11:21:33 PM »

Thats fair, I will be getting it as my partner loved watching me play the beta and said to me that she'd buy it for me (who am I to say no? :troll: ) hopefully we can get a hunting party going and if there's enough of us, set up a WpR Guild.

I'll be getting it as well - I think I'll have to drop D2 after the latest DLC anyway :facepalm:

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 08:30:07 AM »

I'll be getting it as well - I think I'll have to drop D2 after the latest DLC anyway :facepalm:

Nice! The more the merrier.

Played the demo again last night, I am woeful with the bowguns and bow.. but I actually really like the Hunting Horn now. Its easy enough to play the songs to buff your party and it hits like a mack truck.

Charge blade and Switch Axe seem to be the big hitters for damage though, I could take down Great Jaggi in about 3mins with those.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 09:15:02 AM »
For anyone that still wants to try the game out the Beta will be available again 22nd Dec (5pm gmt) - 26th Dec

PS+ not required this time

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 08:21:38 AM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 08:51:16 AM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2018, 09:29:15 PM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »
Third demo/beta is up and running now if anyone is still curious or on the fence. Extra fight added against Nergigante, much tougher than the first three. Beat it with a PUG after our 5th try. Only get 15min for this fight (typically have 50min in the full game).

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 04:08:14 PM »
Third demo/beta is up and running now if anyone is still curious or on the fence. Extra fight added against Nergigante, much tougher than the first three. Beat it with a PUG after our 5th try. Only get 15min for this fight (typically have 50min in the full game).
What's your opinion on this?

I'm looking for something new.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2018, 07:09:32 PM »
My thoughts are that the beta demo really doesn't show the game off well to anyone not familiar with the MH series. It basically just shows off the scenery, fighting mechanics and some monsters. The fighting is fun but a little clunky.

On the game itself, it'll be grind, fight and repeat to get drops to build better weapon and armour and move on to the next. There will be a story buy I wouldn't expect an award winning story.

Im probably biased as I like these kinds of grind games, like destiny, Warframe, diablo.. So this will suit me nicely.