Monster Hunter World

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
  • PSN: pakhin_lau
Re: Monster Hunter World
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 06:41:28 PM »
Picked up mine today. Let's see if we can get enough people to form a hunting group
Nintendo SW-0354-8208-4517

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 06:59:20 PM »
Demo really didn't give a good idea of what the game is. The crafting is where the addicting part is.

Feel very lost at the start of the game, not much explanation of how to manage the questing part of the game, don't know how to go after the same monster more than once yet. An annoyance in the game for me is that killed monsters disappear mid-battle, so can't loot them (I'm referring to killing groups or non-main target monsters).

Lots of good weapons and armour to craft though - that is what will keep me playing once I work out how everything works.

Offline Snook__13

• Clan Member
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 08:52:33 PM »
Picked up my copy today, haven't started yet but complete noob when it comes to monster hunter. Happy to give group hunting a go once I figure out what I'm doing haha

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 08:58:42 PM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
I've set up a WpR squad in the game, only thing is we need to already be grouped up to add people to the squad (squad is akin to a clan group).

We'll have to get a chat party going and add everyone up

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
I've set up a WpR squad in the game, only thing is we need to already be grouped up to add people to the squad (squad is akin to a clan group).

We'll have to get a chat party going and add everyone up

I haven't been able to log on to the server yet so I'm not 100% sure on how it all works. Should we start a squad request list or something?

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2018, 05:37:49 PM »
Which weapons are you guys enjoying?

I have only tried dual dagger and hammer so far, only 2 hunts in. I like the dual dagger but can't get a good damage output. Hammer I found to be slow initially but got used to it and enjoy it. Can get some good damage in - especially during stun - which results in quicker kills. I also notice I break monster parts with the hammer, but don't think I ever managed that with dual dagger.

Still a few weapons I want to try.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2018, 06:21:42 PM »

I have only tried dual dagger and hammer so far, only 2 hunts in. I like the dual dagger but can't get a good damage output. Hammer I found to be slow initially but got used to it and enjoy it. Can get some good damage in - especially during stun - which results in quicker kills. I also notice I break monster parts with the hammer, but don't think I ever managed that with dual dagger.

Hammers are blunt weapons so you'll break horns and spikes etc. Dual blades are slashing weapons that you can sever a mons tail with (for additional carves) but a hammer cant do that.

I started with long sword, then switched to charge blade until I finally settled on insect glaive.

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2018, 07:28:08 PM »

Hammers are blunt weapons so you'll break horns and spikes etc. Dual blades are slashing weapons that you can sever a mons tail with (for additional carves) but a hammer cant do that.

I started with long sword, then switched to charge blade until I finally settled on insect glaive.

I usually main bow and hunting horn, but at the moment I'm using charge blade. Some monsters are easier to farm with certain weapons.

Keep in mind that monsters have weak points the depend on the damage type, so if you find you're not doing enough damage try to attack a different spot. It's easier this time around since this the first MH game that displays how much damage you're dealing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:31:50 PM by PakHin_Heat »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2018, 08:01:58 PM »
Are you meant to use investigations for farming?

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 08:51:03 PM »
Are you meant to use investigations for farming?

You can just farm in expedition mode but the investigations give extra rewards and cash, so they are useful for farming yes

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2018, 09:41:32 AM »

I usually main bow and hunting horn, but at the moment I'm using charge blade. Some monsters are easier to farm with certain weapons.

I switched to a bow last night as I needed to farm some flying mons and it's just easier with ranged, and it just clicked with me. I tried the bow in the beta but couldn't get the hang of it. Last night I farmed Anjanath several times and then took down my first Rathian.. I think I'm a bow main now haha

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2018, 04:02:46 PM »
Is it worth crafting every armour set? So far I have but I have a feeling they will be useless very soon.

Offline PakHin_Heat

• Clan Member
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2018, 10:46:46 PM »
Is it worth crafting every armour set? So far I have but I have a feeling they will be useless very soon.

Not really, as you'll find most armour sets on the same rank will have similar base defence figures. The variation comes with elemental defence, added skills and style. I usually base my armour selection on special skills i.e Focus. It's usually worth saving material for weapons instead.

Has anybody else had trouble going online? My PS4 keeps throwing errors, and I've done a soft reset, updates and everything else I can think of.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2018, 12:33:26 AM »

Has anybody else had trouble going online? My PS4 keeps throwing errors, and I've done a soft reset, updates and everything else I can think of.

I was online all night without issue. Another night I couldn't connect to online in the game despite being signed into psn without issue - that only saved me time though as I have not played multiplayer (saved time when posting quests)

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2018, 12:48:38 AM »

The last week has been rough for the PSN servers. Constant downtime with no explanation.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »
I usually base my armour selection on special skills i.e Focus. It's usually worth saving material for weapons instead.

I usually base my armour selection on what looks good :troll:

I've actually crafted all the armour sets up to Paolumu, but I'm a hoarder haha

Someone liked Geralt of Rivia so much they made him in MH:

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:58:34 AM by AkyraStrike »

Offline Auldar

• Clan Member
  • PSN: Auldar
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »
Wow they did a great job!

So is this an MMO or more like a sword and magic version of CoOP?

I put a bit of coin into Warframe and want to make the most of it but it's fun to grind with more than 1 or 2 people (when the planets align) :P

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2018, 12:04:59 PM »
So is this an MMO or more like a sword and magic version of CoOP?

I put a bit of coin into Warframe and want to make the most of it but it's fun to grind with more than 1 or 2 people (when the planets align) :P

Not an MMO.. (up to) 4 player co-op, the MP system is a little on the clunky side though, I'm yet to team up with anyone other than randoms for some farming. To me the game is dark souls like, not so much on the 1 hit KO, though it can happen, but more the emphasis on positioning and knowing your enemies attacks, it's slow and methodical. The general gameplay loop is the typical grindy games, need "x" go farm "y" type of thing. No magic or special powers, just you, your sword / axe / bow / bowgun and your pet cat vs a monster.

I'll still be in warframe too, but this has my main attention for now outside of any special events on WF.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Is anybody specializing in more than 1 weapon? I may need to have something with range as my second.

I'm only 4 hunts in, still just using maxed out bone armour and a non-elemental tier 3 hammer (pre-order bonus armour useless after 10 minutes btw). Don't know how people are going through it so fast, maybe I have just wasted time crafting all armour.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2018, 08:27:53 AM »
Is anybody specializing in more than 1 weapon? I may need to have something with range as my second.

I'm only 4 hunts in, still just using maxed out bone armour and a non-elemental tier 3 hammer (pre-order bonus armour useless after 10 minutes btw). Don't know how people are going through it so fast, maybe I have just wasted time crafting all armour.

I was maining the Insect Glaive and then when I switched to use a bow to do some Investigations that required taking down some of the flying mons, I clicked with the bow and have been using it since. I still upgrade the Insect Glaive and Kinsect though as I can see it being useful against certain bosses.

Played with someone last night the was HR47.. thats nuts..

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2018, 04:16:43 PM »
Any tips on how to capture monsters? My next story mission requires it but I have not figured out how to capture properly.

My palicoe dropped a shock trap when monster was almost dead (had skull icon on map), monster walked into it and I ran up to it and used a tranquilizer bomb. That didn't work for me.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
Any tips on how to capture monsters? My next story mission requires it but I have not figured out how to capture properly.

My palicoe dropped a shock trap when monster was almost dead (had skull icon on map), monster walked into it and I ran up to it and used a tranquilizer bomb. That didn't work for me.

Are you sure it's a story mission? I'm up to the rotten vale and haven't had to do that, only an optional side quest called snatch the snatcher or something (kulu-ya-ku capture)

Right idea though, monster has to be limping / skull icon, get em in a trap (shock, pitfall, etc.), then use tranq bombs, it typically takes 2-3 tranq bombs minimum to the face (this is the important part, must hit the face) and then it'll sleep and quest will complete.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2018, 04:48:03 PM »

Are you sure it's a story mission? I'm up to the rotten vale and haven't had to do that, only an optional side quest called snatch the snatcher or something (kulu-ya-ku capture)

Right idea though, monster has to be limping / skull icon, get em in a trap (shock, pitfall, etc.), then use tranq bombs, it typically takes 2-3 tranq bombs minimum to the face (this is the important part, must hit the face) and then it'll sleep and quest will complete.

It may be snatch the snatcher, didn't actually check if it was story or optional. I guess where I went wrong is it takes several tranq bombs. Is there enough time to use several tranq bombs for 1 trap?

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2018, 07:16:42 PM »

It may be snatch the snatcher, didn't actually check if it was story or optional. I guess where I went wrong is it takes several tranq bombs. Is there enough time to use several tranq bombs for 1 trap?

I'm not sure about the shock trap that the palico drops.. if it lasts the same amount of time that a pre-made shock trap does then yes, you can get in 3-5 bombs if you're in a good position to start.