Elite:Dangerous - stories, adventures & screenshots

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
Elite:Dangerous - stories, adventures & screenshots
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »
With 4 of us now with the game, I thought I'd start a separate thread for any interesting stories, tales of adventure, and/or screenshots. At the very least, it will save you guys from having to scroll through my rambling long posts and excessive screenshots in the main thread ;)

So, I'll kick off with a few posts...

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
Re: Elite:Dangerous - stories, adventures & screenshots
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:11:25 PM »
I mentioned in the previous thread that there was a capital ship guarding the barnacle I went to harvest from. What i didn't mention was...he was drunk at the time.

In spoiler tags in case you dont want to see them until you find them in game

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A couple other capital ships i've bumped into.

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:08 PM »
Maia, probably my favorite system so far and i havent spent nearly enough time in it.
White star, blue nebula. There is even a black hole in the system, 300k Ls away though. I havent gone there yet

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 04:23:42 PM »
Sun rise coming over the bounty battlefield from the last community event. I was just finishing up....after spending the whole time hunting in a dark asteroid field. There were many close calls, and a number of not so close...

After finishing there, i went to the closest planet that had minerals i was after for my first real planetary prospecting experience

What blows me away with this game....that blue planet in the pic? Yep, same planet as the previous screenshot where i was bounty hunting. And from the surface...

My ship coming in to land when i was finished a couple hours later. The blue planet was no where to be seen :(

I forget how big the ships are sometimes.

Back to home base. The blue planet is poking out from just behind the white one.
And yes, there was a point to all this....back to what blows me away about this game: you see the 3 or 4 bright stars at the very top/middle? That is home base where i am actually flying to

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
I pimped my rides a bit the other day (read: spent actual money on micro transactions - something i dont normally do)

I wont go through all the modules and stuff, but with some recent engineering it is jumping around 35LY with my 'heavy' configuration (full weapons, military grade hull, 6C Bi weave shield, etc)

Engineering solved my power issues with this one. I now have more power then needed, so i've gone back to a 3G Beam Laser and am about to engineer a 3G Multicannon for it. I had to get a 4A FSD after all, since it couldnt make the trip to one of the engineers lol. It is now engineered to half the charge up time and is always powered on - should let me escape easily when i bite off more then i can chew

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 04:38:18 PM »
hmm. some of those shots are darker then i hoped. oh well. I'm done for now :)

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • XBLive: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
I opened a couple directly from imgur and they look much better full size. 
I broke my sig :-(

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 07:30:03 PM »
I'm using a different method to get screenshots off PS4. Let me know if the quality is any different to previous ones posted.

This thing was so big, I am completely zoomed out and as far from my ship as I can be (3km) and it still didn't fit in the frame. If you look hard enough, the speck in the bottom centre is my ship

Prospecting on a new planet, in a crater. Slightly different to the ice planets I've been on recently. Quite beautiful

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:50:55 PM »
Didn't know this game had planet exploration, might have to check it out one day.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 08:24:00 AM »
Didn't know this game had planet exploration, might have to check it out one day.

At the moment you can only land on icy / rocky planets with no atmosphere, they do vary in gravity which can make landing amusing sometimes, FDev say that eventually we will be able to land on atmospheric planets but the community is skeptical about that.

I don't have many pretty screen shots, but I'll repost the one I took of my first planetary landing:

And here's my 'pirate AspX' I built to run the illegal booze in the last CG:

And my current pride of the fleet, the Imperial Clipper "Mara Sov"

When she was shiny and new in dock:

Basking in sunlight:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:26:58 AM by AkyraStrike »

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:31:49 PM »
New ship

Yeh this is going to be an ongoing struggle

My fighter!

Nice view from nice bridge

« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:27:18 AM by raz81 »

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
Hmmm says images are not available

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 09:34:58 AM »
Hmmm says images are not available

Yep same, but I did see the images when I looked last night so somethings gone wrong since then

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 10:15:54 AM »
Odd. No idea what's changed since yesterday Fixed. They completely disappeared from Imgur for some reason. Had to reupload
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:28:18 AM by raz81 »

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 07:21:12 PM »
Equipped a heatsink in the Beluga because I read it runs a bit hot, and what the hell, it has a thousand utility slots that I didn't know what to do with anyway.
On the way to my first engineer I got dumped between these two. Heatsink saved a 10mil rebuy without a doubt

Did a bit of planet side prospecting once I got to the engie. Similar to my post about my AspX, I forget the sheer scale these ships have

Farther and son? Looking for a fight

And my dream comes true. Beluga shooting something down while I skim around in a fighter. Fucking sweet

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 08:31:10 AM »
Nice screenshots! The twin star on is pretty epic, I've come into some systems with multiple stars close, but never quite that close.

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 11:37:08 AM »
Nice screenshots! The twin star on is pretty epic, I've come into some systems with multiple stars close, but never quite that close.

Cheers. Looking at the last screenshot, the Beluga literally looks like a whale lol

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 12:14:05 PM »
At that profile it sure does.  So does the AI fly your beluga while you are out playing in your fighter?

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
Ya. I've got a shitty 'harmless' crew member, so it was a bit scary leaving a 10mil rebuy ship in his hands. But, i was only at a nav becon, you can see the health and shields on your HUD (right hand side circle above your ships Holo display) , and you can fairly quickly switch between ships (piloting the fighter is done via 'remote control' )

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 07:12:48 PM »
So I originally thought my Beluga would be a secondary ship to my AspX (similar to my Vulture) but i took it for a trip today and it was awesome! It does have heat issues, but i can get about 35ly in my 'exploration' fitout, and having a fighter onboard to scout around a planet surface was more then cool fun.

Some pics of my Thargoid adventure. It happened to be on the dark side when i got there unfortunately, so these pics might be a bit shit

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:51 AM »
(rushed rambling post while at work). TL;DR - i love my ships, but got a new one

So, this happened last night. Meet my new 'daily drive'

Python

https://eddp.co/u/Mq5HoW94

The two class 6 cargo bays may be swapped for passenger cabins or hull reinforcement, depending on what i am doing.
But basically, i felt i was missing an 'everyday' ship. I love all my other ships, but felt lacking recently when i was doing random missions in a system to increase rep. The purpose of this guy is to be able to do everything, with the ability to switch to a specialty ship when the mood or requirements dictate.

The weapons i am still experimenting with. What is listed there is an iteration of what i use (and love) on my Vulture. I found the Python turns like shit unless it is in the blue zone, so the turrets were good. However, i wasnt loving the placement of my cannons at first.
2 large beams, 1 large cannon (in the middle) and 2 medium cannons (I could only try frag cannons last night) seemed to work well too - perhaps an option for when i engineer thrusters.
PA's were fun and i like them, but i also like having power in my capacitors ;)
4 beams and my corrosive multicannon for a hull debuff (shoot a couple rounds, debuff, use laser) would probably also work well.

AspX

https://eddp.co/u/nX1kPUbD

I havent actually used it in that configuration yet. But that is how i will go when i finally leave the bubble for an extended stay (2.4 might lose 1 AFM and replace with Repair Limpet). I know the 'meta' is to do all D and drop other shit, but the A's suit my play style better.

I forget how awesome this ship is to fly. It is so fast compared to my others. It will also be reconfigured easily (and with weapons) for long range rare CGs.

Vulture

https://eddp.co/u/6F1J3KmU

LOVE this guy. Awesome in a Haz Rez zone taking on big ships. I still have my FSD with half the boot time in case i get into trouble ;)
The SCB is a new addition (along with heatsink). I found that fighting FDLs i would lose my shield and lose some hull integrity before i could kill them. They are very very agile. So i am trading hull reinforcement for being able to re-up my shields. We'll see how it goes.

Beluga

No screenshot, but i have a feeling my party boat will end up with a gold plated skin soon.

https://eddp.co/u/FxRtfl2R

Passenger cabins are swapped around depending on mission and mood. Cargo bay is just there for the missions that give cargo as a bloody reward.

I've done a few different styles of missions - eg load myself up with 6 mid-range VIPs (mid range to me is 3-4 jumps, 100-400ly). $25mil of missions and done in 4-5 hours along with close to $5mil of exploration. However i failed 2 since they were assholes (i let myself get scanned too many times), losing about $10mil in rewards.

Another time i loaded myself up with tonnes of very short range missions (1, maybe 2 jumps). Completed in 1 - 1.5hrs for about $5 mil. Could have been more if i bothered to pick more up along the way to the systems i was going to, or if i also looked at the standard mission board.

The issue with the Beluga is only 2 of the Class 6 slots can be used for 'anything'. The others are for cargo/passenger cabins. So basically, Sheild + Scoop if you want to go far. I discovered i am not patient enough to use a 4A scoop, which is the next best after the 6A. But this means i need to lose the figher bay :(
I think next time i do bulk short range missions i will lose the scoop and grab a fighter again. There were some cool planets that i would have loved to skim around in canyons on that i missed out on the other night.

@SmashedPumpkin although the Beluga configuration i am using is rather pricey, if you liked passenger missions i would recommend picking up an Orca and doing a number of 'mid range' missions. Orca is meant to be fantastic - great jump range and maneuverability. And it wont take you away for weeks at a time ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 10:27:38 AM by raz81 »

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2017, 10:40:47 AM »
I bought myself an Anaconda the other night. It's primary purpose is a long range exploration ship (in the long term) and an express traveler in the bubble (short term).

It looked something like this https://eddp.co/u/zGk1v6eb . I aptly named her "KombatWombat" as a ruse to make pirates think twice before attacking me. I had planned this build for ages.
But before i even took off for the first time, i realised 'this isnt really me', so i've upped the sheilds, put lots of sheild boosters, and guns. Guns everywhere.

I needed to take it to Farseer to overcharge the Powerplant because of all the additions, and while i was there it turned out i had enough mats for a lot of other upgrades. Got it's jump range to 40ly (G4 FSD long range).

But then.
I took it to a CZ to test out how it would be in combat. Although my Python (with 3x PA's!) will be my main ship still, i wanted to be able to fight in the Conda incase anything jumped me (or if i wanted to jump something).
It worked well in the CZ, but i wanted it a bit better. "Just in case" right?

Anyhoo

Last night i scarified 6 or 7ly in my jump range (around 33ly total - still pretty happy with this), but now it looks like this https://eddp.co/u/UkmXXdK1

And yes, i realise everyone plays Destiny now lol
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:43:35 AM by raz81 »

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:44 AM »
And yes, i realise everyone plays Destiny now lol

Yeah but not forever Raz. I've been looking at your posts for this game and it does intrigue me. Maybe once Destiny dies down I'll see what this is all about :)

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »
 :up:

Online raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »
#piratelife
#pythonFTW

I didnt realise my feed updates with stuff from elite. Saw this last night and thought it was cool. I dont really care about trophies either, but ultra rare.....i'll take it