Destiny 2 - Public Events

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
Destiny 2 - Public Events
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:36 AM »
I thought I'd post the details on how to trigger the heroic public events, whilst it seems to be general knowledge, there's a lot of people that don't seem to do it (mostly random kindergaurdians), it is well worth triggering the heroic events as they give a greater chance at an exotic drop, so here's the details on triggering each event:

(TLDR: see bold and red writing for the gist of it)

CABAL EXCAVATION PUBLIC EVENT
In a Cabal Excavation public event, you have to capture a Cabal drill from the (Cabal) troops guarding it. Just stand within the white circle surrounding the drill, and you’ll see a timer counting up to 100 that reads “Overriding Lander.”

When the drill is about 30 percent captured, a flying Thresher will appear. Destroy it (rocket launchers work great) to turn this into a heroic event. Don’t worry if you don’t destroy the evil flying machine the first time it appears. I’ll retreat and loop back around in a minute or so.

This summons a Cabal Centurion for you to defeat. Also, the mortars all target you directly instead of aiming and firing at random.

FALLEN GLIMMER EXTRACTION PUBLIC EVENT
During a Glimmer Extraction public event, you’re chasing Fallen as they try to mine Glimmer. Mostly, you’re going to be focused on shooting the bad guys guarding the drill, but to turn this into a heroic event, you have to ignore them. There’s a small machine that appears on the ground near the drill. You have to destroy this machine at each location before killing the Fallen in each wave.

To complete the heroic portion, you just have to protect the pile of glimmer that appears from the waves of incoming Fallen.

CABAL INJECTION RIG PUBLIC EVENT
An Injection Rig public event sees the Cabal dropping an enormous rig into an area. As you’re fighting but before you kill the Infiltrator Valus, look for the open heat vents on the rig. They’ll open in phases — three at the top, three in the middle, then one on the bottom — as you destroy them.

Once you trigger the heroic event, a Cabal Centurion will appear. He’s your new objective. Kill him to receive your big reward.

ETHER RESUPPLY PUBLIC EVENT
An Ether Resupply public event is pretty straightforward. There’s a Servitor, it’s big, and you shoot it. To turn this into a heroic event, you need to quickly take out the smaller Servitors that spawn around it before the big one absorbs them. If you destroy them all quickly enough, the main Servitor will get a whole lot tougher.

Just keep fighting and destroy the beefed-up Servitor to complete the heroic event.

DISRUPT VEX CONSTRUCTION (SPIRE INTEGRATION)
During the Disrupt Vex Construction phase of the public event, you need to stand within the boundaries of 3 circular plates. Look for vertical pillars with rotating tops. Stand in the area surrounding them. When you’re inside of the glowing white circle, a timer will count up to 100, indicating that you’re capturing it. It’s useful to split up and capture multiple areas simultaneously, as we did in the video above.

Stand in all of them and satisfy the timers, and you’ll trigger the heroic version of the event. Now you’ll have to face waves of increasingly difficult Vex and still prevent them from getting to the conflux.

TAKEN BLIGHT
During three waves, Taken blight orbs, surrounded by force fields will appear. Walk through the force fields surrounding the blight orbs. When you exit, you’ll have a buff called “Blight Receding.” (You can see it on the lower left part of your screen.) Shoot the larger Blight blob while the buff is active, which is the only time you can damage it. Repeat the process until you destroy the glob, and you’ll trigger the heroic event. This will summon a new, super-strong Taken for you to defeat.

WEAPONS EXCHANGE (Spider Tank)
There are some shielded scorch cannons around the area where you’ll be fighting. Each time you drop the Walker by shooting it's legs, it’ll spew out 3 arc charges. Use these arc charges to unlock all three shields before you defeat the walker, you’ll turn this into a heroic event.

WITCHES’ RITUAL
This event requires you to prevent a pair of Hive Wizards from opening a portal. To do so, you have to capture plates (like you do in a Disrupt Vex Construction public event) to make them vulnerable, then defeat them and the Hive Knights around.

To make this event heroic, after you defeat the pair of wizards, but before you defeat the big boss wizard, you have to recapture the plates and destroy the two crystals on the portal’s pillars. Doing this will summon a Darkblade Knight. Defeat it to complete the heroic event.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
Re: Destiny 2 - Public Events
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
Thanks Akyra that's s great summary. In the cabal extraction I gave always shot the vents but always missed the one at the bottom.
Since finishing the story I've mainly just done public events and really enjoy them.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 02:44:38 PM »
Thanks Akyra that's s great summary. In the cabal extraction I gave always shot the vents but always missed the one at the bottom.
Since finishing the story I've mainly just done public events and really enjoy them.

The cabal rig one seems to be the 1 that rarely goes heroic, I've managed to trigger it once with Tobor as he has the exotic grenade launcher and that thing melted the vents :up: I've also only had the taken blight go heroic once, but that particular one seems to have a lot of misinformation about how to trigger it.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 03:45:06 PM »
I got the cabal extraction heroic twice last night, wish I could take the credit. At least I know how is triggered now.

Offline Bruce_Leeroy

• Clan Member
  • PSN: BruceLeeRoy_88
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 08:11:52 AM »
Thanks for this, this is an awesome guide wish i had it when i was grinding the public events!

Offline Leinad300

• Clan Member
  • Origin: Leinad300
  • PSN: Leinad300
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 10:38:05 AM »
Have the nerfed frequency of public event?
It seems it's happening less after patch. Noticed this when trying to level up my alt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
Thanks for this, this is an awesome guide wish i had it when i was grinding the public events!

No prob, happy to spread the word, in particular I wish more people would learn about the injection rig and taken blight events, the taken blight one can be frustrating as it takes a long time to trigger and if people keep killing the blights you miss the chance.

Have the nerfed frequency of public event?
It seems it's happening less after patch. Noticed this when trying to level up my alt.

Can't say I noticed any dip last night when bouncing around the EDZ, at most still only have to wait a minute or 2 going between the gulch, winding cove and the sludge.. with occasional trips to trostland.

Offline elrast333

• Clan Member
  • PSN: elrast333
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:23:42 PM »
yup the taken blight ones I see people piling on the smaller bubbles and not touching the big one.  Can't do damage quickly enough when the smaller ones get teamshot