• Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • XBLive: Slayer7744
Microtransactions / Loot Crates
« on: December 06, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
"If this discusson quiets down, the ability to make changes goes away, which is exactly what Wall Street and the big gaming companies are waiting for"

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
Re: Microtransactions / Loot Crates
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
"If this discusson quiets down, the ability to make changes goes away, which is exactly what Wall Street and the big gaming companies are waiting for"

The only way there will be a lasting impact and change is if people continue to vote with their wallets, it's the only outcry that these greedy companies listen to, as hard as it can be to resist those shiny new games, we all need to hold off on buying, and especially preordering, any games that employ these predatory tactics.

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »

The only way there will be a lasting impact and change is if people continue to vote with their wallets, it's the only outcry that these greedy companies listen to, as hard as it can be to resist those shiny new games, we all need to hold off on buying, and especially preordering, any games that employ these predatory tactics.

Yep this. I'm with @Slayer7744 on the SWBF2 thing and will go pre-owned so they get nuddin'. People like @mimix who buy at full tote are the enemy   :troll:  ......................boyaiaiaiai boi!

But seriously the only way they learn is with dollars and the threat enough has worked.

Offline mimix

• Officer
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 11:53:16 AM »

Yep this. I'm with @Slayer7744 on the SWBF2 thing and will go pre-owned so they get nuddin'. People like @mimix who buy at full tote are the enemy   :troll:  ......................boyaiaiaiai boi!

But seriously the only way they learn is with dollars and the threat enough has worked.

Ouch!

I had a big rant here about other games doing the same etc etc but I don't see the point dragging it out.

Yeah they tried to push a little bit more than previously and got ripped for it.
All we can hope is that all devs/publishers learn from it and get back to gameplay rather than trying to gouge the extra $

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • XBLive: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:09:13 PM »
All we can hope is that all devs/publishers learn from it and get back to gameplay rather than trying to gouge the extra $

But the shareholders demand 10% year on year growth, so they either need to find more gamers or gouge us somehow!
I broke my sig :-(

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:12:30 PM »

I don't get it? @mimix made sense and even a good point? mmmmmm must be a double agent  :P

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:59:32 PM »

But the shareholders demand 10% year on year growth, so they either need to find more gamers or gouge us somehow!

One of the other common arguments is that development costs have risen by 'x' amount, but I watched a video the other day that included an analysis on EA's spending and they are spending less now than they were in 2012, so that doesn't exactly fly either.

(side note: should this discussion be split off (maybe from slayers post on) into a thread about 'Microtransactions / Loot Crates' in games as its a discussion worth expanding on?)

Offline mimix

• Officer
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
Good call... I'll take this as an opportunity to do my first split... prepare for death.

edit: light on my feet this time and performed the perfect pirouette to escape the blades of death. Now have at it!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:27:43 PM by mimix »

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
I don't believe the bullshite about costs! Lets review Spaz style:

BF3 = Frostbite
BF4 = Frostbite 2
SWBF = Frostbite 2
SWBF2 = Frostbite 3

COD 2006 = IW 2.0 Engine
COD 2016 = IW 7.0 Engine

I see the trend here being very little 'new' just improvements on the current. Sounds like new versions of cars. Same shite just a few new features to pay for the same production line to keep costs low. Spaz must be some sort of genius to know and work this out!

TRUMP FOR LIFE!

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 03:30:31 PM »
An interesting video that looks into EA / BF2 issues in particular:

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
After watching that vid I now know why they haven't done BFBC3. They will want loot boxes/microtransactions and the backlash from the BC fans would be loud and massively damaging .................................. Spaz knows!

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
After watching that vid I now know why they haven't done BFBC3. They will want loot boxes/microtransactions and the backlash from the BC fans would be loud and massively damaging .................................. Spaz knows!

As much as I want BFBC3... I fear that this is exactly what we would get... loot boxes and pay to win microtransaction.

Here's another interesting video I've come across telling the story of a gambling addict who spent 13k on microtransactions.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 04:18:42 PM »
EA would almost certainly cash in on the nostalgia by implementing every microtransaction known to man into BC3.

Not only that but it will launch with 6 - 7 maps, probably less destruction physics than BC2, none of the gunplay that made BC2 fun and have a Premium Pass for $80 for future maps.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
EA would almost certainly cash in on the nostalgia by implementing every microtransaction known to man into BC3.

Not only that but it will launch with 6 - 7 maps, probably less destruction physics than BC2, none of the gunplay that made BC2 fun and have a Premium Pass for $80 for future maps.

And as a final kick in the teeth to fans, said DLC map packs will be the classic BC2 maps remastered.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • XBLive: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »

And as a final kick in the teeth to fans, said DLC map packs will be the classic BC2 maps remastered.

Will that include remastered, remastered BC maps?
I broke my sig :-(

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:15 PM »

Will that include remastered, remastered BC maps?

Of course.

Offline euphoricx

• Clan Member
  • Nice to mole you
    • euphoricx channel
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 08:03:52 PM »

Aside from boycotting, we can vote with our wallets by supporting the devs who do it right by the gamers. ie CD Projekt RED. I cannot praise them enough for the amount of effort they must have poured into creating the Witcher 3. The base game was huge on its own and actually made you WANT dlc/expansions to prolong the experience.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
Aside from boycotting, we can vote with our wallets by supporting the devs who do it right by the gamers. ie CD Projekt RED. I cannot praise them enough for the amount of effort they must have poured into creating the Witcher 3. The base game was huge on its own and actually made you WANT dlc/expansions to prolong the experience.

This is true. CDPR are almost like a unicorn though, theres not too many devs out there that get it as right as they do, their DLC alone would be bigger than some full releases.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 10:23:13 AM »
Welp, if I hadn't already given up on Destiny 2, I will very much do so now:

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »

This is true. CDPR are almost like a unicorn though, theres not too many devs out there that get it as right as they do, their DLC alone would be bigger than some full releases.

I hope Cyberpunk 2077 sells like hotcakes to let all these Games-For-Service obsessed publishers know we still care about Singleplayer experiences.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 02:07:06 PM »
For those that didnt catch the VGA's, EA copped it a bit:

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 12:46:25 PM »
Sometimes the producer can get their way over the developer e.g. shadow of War. Monolith did a fantastic job but we're forced by Warner brothers to put microtransactions in. Good to see the way shadow of War made it unnecessary and how they keep releaseing free content.
I'm more inclined to support smaller studios via early access then pre order from AAA publishers now days.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Clan Member
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 02:21:05 PM »
I'm more inclined to support smaller studios via early access then pre order from AAA publishers now days.

Isn't that what Destiny 1 was up until the taken king and what Destiny 2 is now..? Early access :troll:
(sorry, couldn't help the cheap shot).

Early access also has it's risks, and its fair share of devs just looking for a cash grab. But in general I think everyone needs to stop with the pre-ordering, and stop with the blind following of the big devs and look at some of the dross that EA, Activision, Ubisoft and others have served up and compare that to some great games made by smaller studios.