Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2018, 01:23:50 PM »
I haven't needed any xp boost. I'm lvl 38 and not sure how much of the story I'm through but I haven't
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Been exploring and mostly just doing quests in areas while taking bounties and clearing any base or fort I cross.
I'll get a lvl or two each time I play for and hour or two.
Gear is great, love the gameplay and storey and overall really enjoying the game.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2018, 07:19:58 PM »
I'm level 41 and I haven't needed them. I did have one boost earlier from something but it didn't make much difference. It has been reasonably fun. A bit better once multiple story arcs open up. It is definitely a different,  less linear sort of, approach than previous AC games.

My son just flew through most of the story quests and can take on guys much higher level than himself and succeed.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 02:34:08 AM »
Thanks for the info, it affects the price point at which I will buy the game, and I can keep my record of never touching microtransactions.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 05:43:06 AM »
I believe jb hi fi had it on sale.

I have been enjoying my talks with Sokrates, some of the missions are quite interesting.
Checked the Ubisoft app and I've played 45 hours. I'm lvl 37 (out if 70 max - used to be 50 but was increases in recent update), I'm 37% storey complete, killed heaps of merc like 122, 93 ships, 2002 total kills, 3 arena champs etc...
I love the bounty system, very much like shadow of wars nemesis system. Ship battles are back like in black flag. I really rate this as one of my favourite games of this console generation.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 05:44:22 AM »
When starting just note that it reveals different gameplay elements slowly and once you get just past the end of the third area, it opens up dramatically.

Just a word of advice (and I'll keep it spoiler free): When you're told about the origins of your spear (which the player knows from the prologue anyway), you'll be sent of a reasonably long boat trip. Follow that quest and don't be tempted to explore. After you've done that, go gangbusters and do whatever you like. You'll know why once you've done it.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2019, 03:17:50 PM »
After 150+ hours and platinum trophy, I will just post some thoughts without spoiling story.

Pros:

- Combat is enjoyable, much better than the older style AC games. Different weapons types change up the combat, and the 3 different skill trees are all viable (hunter, warrior and assassin). Skills can be reset anytime with the in-game currency (I finished with almost 2 million drachmae, so its not in short supply).

- Armour/weapon designs are visually awesome, and you can easily find perks which are useful for your chosen playstyle. There are some armour sets in the game also with nice perks. You can freely apply any skin you have unlocked to any piece of armour (or weapon), although I never felt the need due to all armour looking good.

- Only taken out of the world a few times for the animus BS. It is not needed at all, but at least it is now minimal.

- Ship combat is enjoyable, and there are some story reasons to partake in it. Shop cosmetics also look good.

- Mercenary system feels a bit tacked on, but it does add some more challenging enemies to battle. I just progressed through this for the perks it gives. I did see some character models re-used.

- There are some big boss fights which are fun in both world building and challenge (no spoilers).

Cons:

- Open world ubisoft-itis. Same thing in Farcry 4 and Ghost Recon Blandlands, clearing camps and forts is fun for awhile, but soon gets repetetive. I could stand it more in AC Odyssey because I think the combat is more enjoyable. There is also the goal of levelling up (progression) to help it feel less tedious. I used the setting to not have icons everywhere, so at least that annoyance has been reduced.

- Story. In short, very average. Great writing could see this game in my GOTY list. Some of the story had potential to be very interesting (no spoilers), but even that part comes across as being written in one afternoon. This also ties in with the pro about big boss fights.

- edit - the game world is huge, but there is not enough variation in landscapes and biomes to make it interesting.

- Zero exploration or puzzles in the various tombs. I hear they are better in Origins.

- There is a lootbox vendor. Not instrusive, and as usual I didnt even bother to spend whatever currency I earned in the game, but it is still a minor negative.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 03:48:02 PM by SmashedPumpkin »