• YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
  • Discord: Slayer7744#9869
PS4 Pro Thermal Issues
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
So, as some of you may know I decided to purchase thermal paste and thermal pads for my Pro as I was experiencing overheating and crashes in certain games, Black Ops 4 being the latest culprit.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos during the process but in a nutshell, it was a excellent decision because my Pro is so quiet now, you'd think I just went out and bought a new one.

If your Pro is secretly a Boeing 747, this may be the route to take to shut the damn thing up because it worked wonders for me.

Oh and I also cleaned my heatsink as it was a little dusty but really not that bad. I also didn't need to purchase a Nidec fan because my Pro already has a Nidec fan :facepalm:

Not my walkthrough but covers the steps, only difference is he is using liquid metal whereas I just used Arctic Silver 5.
https://imgur.com/gallery/420nWq8#wKgZkYj

Pro Teardown (unrelated to imgur album)

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: PS4 Pro Thermal Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:28:58 PM »
Nice one Slayer! Spaz's pro only goes takeoff mode on 1 game but this might be a good preventative option   :up: :up:

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 04:37:35 PM »
How did you personally find the tear down and reassembly?

My Pro has a loose roller in the Bluray drive and all disc based games won't start unless I shake the Pro a bit. I need to pull it apart, cleaner the rollers and put it back together.

Also, where did you get your thermal pads?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 04:40:32 PM by StoneColdHomer »

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 05:32:49 PM »

My Pro has a loose roller in the Bluray drive and all disc based games won't start unless I shake the Pro a bit. I need to pull it apart, cleaner the rollers and put it back together.

I personally found it quite easy, just made sure I put the screws of each layer on their own so I knew where they were when reassembling. I had to pull it apart twice as I kept forgetting to put things back on before putting the EMI Shield back. Power Supply I had a little issue with it not wanting to disconnect from the PS4, I ended up just disconnecting the other end of the cable as that end came out easier.

Just remembering where all the screws go is the hard part as there's so many holes that aren't actually used for anything.

I bought a few of these thermal pads: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29189/ek-thermal-pad-1mm

Just have to make sure it's 1mm.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »

I personally found it quite easy, just made sure I put the screws of each layer on their own so I knew where they were when reassembling. I had to pull it apart twice as I kept forgetting to put things back on before putting the EMI Shield back. Power Supply I had a little issue with it not wanting to disconnect from the PS4, I ended up just disconnecting the other end of the cable as that end came out easier.

Just remembering where all the screws go is the hard part as there's so many holes that aren't actually used for anything.

I bought a few of these thermal pads: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29189/ek-thermal-pad-1mm

:up: :up:

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »
Nice. Will definitely come back to this.
My Pro could easily scare the crap out of a 747 sometimes so if i could make it quiet that'd be sweet.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
So, as some of you may know I decided to purchase thermal paste and thermal pads for my Pro as I was experiencing overheating and crashes in certain games, Black Ops 4 being the latest culprit.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos during the process but in a nutshell, it was a excellent decision because my Pro is so quiet now, you'd think I just went out and bought a new one.

If your Pro is secretly a Boeing 747, this may be the route to take to shut the damn thing up because it worked wonders for me.

Oh and I also cleaned my heatsink as it was a little dusty but really not that bad. I also didn't need to purchase a Nidec fan because my Pro already has a Nidec fan :facepalm:

Not my walkthrough but covers the steps, only difference is he is using liquid metal whereas I just used Arctic Silver 5.
https://imgur.com/gallery/420nWq8#wKgZkYj

Pro Teardown (unrelated to imgur album)

@Slayer7744 is your ps4pro still as silent now? How do the thermal pads work?

I am finding myself actively avoiding using my ps4pro because I don't like how loud it is - I think I will at least try out the thermal paste.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »
My Pro is still significantly quieter than what it was, I think a tiny increase in dB since I done it but nowhere near unbearable. The thermal pads just sit on the memory chips as the ones that Foxconn install are absolute rubbish and don't cover the entire surface area of the chips.

It's like blue-tac, you just cut off the size you need and place it on top of the chips (cut to the size of the chip) and once done with doing all the thermals, the metal plate that goes on top places pressure on the chip to dissipate heat. They must be 1mm though! Otherwise too much or not enough pressure will be placed and the PS4 will rev up to the sound worse than a Boeing 747 which will then lead to hard crashing.

I personally would recommend it, the whole process was pretty easy and much easier than the OG PS4 which was a PITA. The end result should be a big payoff. I know where you're coming from with avoiding using it, I was like that then it started crashing when playing Black Ops 4 so decided to do something.

You will also want to check your heatsink as there could be a dust build-up, mine had hardly any but I cleaned it up anyway as it was mostly all in one area blocking air circulation.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 07:08:59 PM »

@Slayer7744 do you remember how many of these thermal pads were enough for the job? Also, were scissors able to cut them (or stanley knife needed)?

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 07:53:54 PM »
I used one and a bit of a second pad but I ordered 3 to be safe and for future application.

Scissors were able to cut them just fine.

I ordered 3 of these for reference: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/29189

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 11:38:59 AM »
I used one and a bit of a second pad but I ordered 3 to be safe and for future application.

Yeah, I noticed the link still worked for the thermal pads.

Cheers, just trying to minimise the cost to fix this manufacturing defect.

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2020, 02:12:56 PM »

Yeah, I noticed the link still worked for the thermal pads.

Cheers, just trying to minimise the cost to fix this manufacturing defect.

Yeah I get it, mine was horrific so I know the feeling.

Also just noticed I had already posted those pads in this thread so my bad.