Bungie Splits from Activision

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
Bungie Splits from Activision
« on: January 11, 2019, 09:57:15 AM »
https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/10/18177457/destiny-bungie-activision-split

Bungie and publisher Activision are bringing their eight-year Destiny partnership to a close. The developer announced today that it will acquire publishing rights to the shooter franchise from Activision, and will publish future games on its own.

This could be very interesting, we might finally see if it really was Activision pulling the strings behind the scenes and forcing bungo's hand on certain things or if it was just Bungie screwing up their own franchise.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
Re: Bungie Splits from Activision
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:18:15 AM »
https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/10/18177457/destiny-bungie-activision-split

Bungie and publisher Activision are bringing their eight-year Destiny partnership to a close. The developer announced today that it will acquire publishing rights to the shooter franchise from Activision, and will publish future games on its own.

This could be very interesting, we might finally see if it really was Activision pulling the strings behind the scenes and forcing bungo's hand on certain things or if it was just Bungie screwing up their own franchise.

It will also be interesting to see how the gamers will react.

Have they been burnt too much already by the franchise?

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
  • Origin: kunfushun
  • PSN: kunfushun
  • Steam: _kunfushun
  • Xbox Live: theKunfushun
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:06:22 PM »
I havent read the link article yet but is there news if it will be taken off battle.net?
🐵💤

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 12:49:59 PM »

Put me in the burnt category, can't really see myself going back to this series... but never say never I guess.

I havent read the link article yet but is there news if it will be taken off battle.net?

Blizzard said that the Windows PC version of Destiny 2 “will still receive full support on BattleNet and we do not anticipate any disruption to our services or your gameplay experience.”

Online Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
I think it's great that Bungie is independent again, some first opinions on Twitter seem to be pretty happy with the announcement too. I doubt we'll see much difference with Destiny 2 but it could have some big changes for content drops in Destiny 3.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 03:20:05 PM »
Didn't bungie and Activision both lose CFOs recently? Interesting that they bailed and then this split is announced

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 04:36:21 PM »

Put me in the burnt category, can't really see myself going back to this series... but never say never I guess.

I feel the same, the Destiny formula doesnt work for me anymore so they would need large scale changes for me to be interested again.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:44:29 AM »
I also doubt I'll play destiny again. Mostly due to having less time to game so that type of game doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »
Looks like Activision is under investigation for fraud too?
Wonder if that played a part in the split, or if they were just being their usual selves and dictating everything.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 03:30:09 PM »
The investigation concerns whether Activision and certain of its officers and/or directors have engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful business practices.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/shareholder-alert-pomerantz-law-firm-investigates-claims-on-behalf-of-investors-of-activision-blizzard-inc---atvi-300777066.html

Interesting. Make you wonder if it's insider trading.

Whether the Directors sold their stock BEFORE the announcement (which they knew about) and the stock took a nose dive.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 09:00:57 AM »
When you actually look at the games remaining under Activisions belt (not including Blizzard's IPs) they are essentially just relying on COD these days to make them money, its no real surprise their stock plummeted. Things like sketchy for them at the moment.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 12:48:37 PM »
they are essentially just relying on COD these days to make them money,
Similarly EA relying on FUT microtransactions, konami too, it's a shame the bigger studios went down the mobile games cash cow avenue.
Im glad to see Ubisoft try to innovate and actually improve games.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 01:01:55 PM »
Similarly EA relying on FUT microtransactions, konami too, it's a shame the bigger studios went down the mobile games cash cow avenue.

EA do have a little more in their armory (Madden is also a cash cowsimilar to FUT) along with at least having some well known brands such as Battlefield / Battlefront, Need for Speed, Titanfall and the upcoming Anthem. Even outside of 'live service' style cash cows, Activision really dont have much at all, they recently had Spiro and Crash games and they have Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice coming up but otherwise once Destiny goes they really only have COD. Again this is obviously ignoring the Blizzard part of Activision Blizzard, but it's not like Bliz are having such a great run lately, Overwatch is dropping players and revenue and their recent Diablo Immortal announcement was a kick in the teeth.

This will either force them to start innovating again and backing some new IP's, or it'll just push them even harder down the micro-transaction 'live service' path... I think we know which they'll choose.

Definitely have to give kudos to Ubi, they've had some issues but have shown that they want to learn and improve. The Division was a broken but they fixed it, same with Rainbow 6 Siege and the same with For Honor. The Assassins Creed games and Far Cry games have been good lately too.

Online Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
I think the Vivendi scare for Ubisoft was exactly what they needed to prove they belong as an independent company in the industry and it shows. The Division, For Honor, Rainbow Six all have thriving communities and they still support single-player game such as Watch Dogs and the recent Assassin's Creed which is getting a heap of support as of late.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 05:57:19 AM »
Ubisoft said they won't launch an AC game this year, but Odyssey is getting updates fortnightly, new content monthly etc.
I hope the extra time they put into Skull & Bones means it's ready (after delaying last year's release date ) and they are polishing it, would be perfect for E3 release date announce and quick release.