• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
AverMedia Live Gamer Portable
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:12:52 PM »
So, thanks to Homer I bought one of these: http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_capture/live_gamer_portable

I bought it off ebay from a vendor who ships from the States.  All up it cost me $192 Australian or so (PayPal hasn't taken the funds yet and not sure what exchange rate they will use).  I ordered it last Friday and it was delivered at midday today which has to be one of the best overseas purchasing experiences I have had.

Whats in the box
  • The unit itself.  This thing is tiny, about the size of one and a half iPhone 4s
  • The worlds shortest HDMI cable
  • a PS3 AV cable
  • a component AV cable
  • a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable
  • a USB to micro USB cable.  This is used to power the unit and to configure it from a PC
  • a quick start guide
  • 3 months subscription to XSplit which I haven't really looked at yet
  • A very nice, padded, case to store the unit in.  Shame it doesn't have storage for the cables as well

Setup
I first installed the Recentral software and drivers on my wifes notebook (I only have my work notebook)

I decided to record off my PS3 as this is supposedly the most complex configuration for the device as you have to use the AV port to avoid HDCP on the HDMI.
I wandered into the rumpus room, pulled the PS3 forward, disconnected the HDMI cable and connected it to the HDMI out on the unit.  Next I connected the AV lead from the PS3 AV port to the AV input on the LGP.  Finally I connected the USB cable to my wifes notebook which causes the big red ring light on the LGP to light up.

I turned on my PS3, holding down the power button for the second beep so that it would reset the video settings.  I next went in and configured the display outputs on the PS3 for component, 1080p and component audio.  Simple and all done.

Going back into RecCentral I picked the amateur wizard and selected 1920x1080p as my resolution and component audio for my audio input.  Next I hit the record button on the unit and got the result seen below:

http://youtu.be/s6XkLyomHKY

So far I am pretty happy with the unit, not that I have much to compare it to.  The capture could be a little crisper but I am not sure if that is user error or not.  From what I have read it does a better job with straight HDMI.  I will try some XBox or Wii U capture later and see how that goes as they dont put HDCP into their games (take note Sony).  Also, it supposedly does 720 better than 1080 when using component so that is something else to try.  My PC video card also does HDMI so I should be able to do a recording off the PC using it.  This worked on my notebook (wifes notebook) although it would only let me go up to 768 which is the native resolution of the notebook screen.

nb: the video is still uploading, it was 414MB for 5 minutes of recording, 1080p 30FPS (I think).

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: AverMedia Live Gamer Portable
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »
Looks good Ant. I think until Sony allow the HDMi pass-through they are really behind the 8 ball. You can pay hundreds to get a Fury HD which will do it but for what you have there I think it's pretty damn good.

Offline SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 09:48:16 AM »
looks just as blurry as the others.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:20 AM »
I will try HDMI off the Xbox tonight for comparison

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:15:01 AM »
Some XBox footage off HDMI using PC-free mode (capture to SD card).  It worked well, but you have less control over the settings, and I have to say that youtube hasn't done it any favours either.  There are a lot of artifacts in the youtube playback that aren't in the original.

Forza4

Offline stonecoldstavros

• Clan Member
  • stavros
  • Origin: stonecoldstavros
  • PSN: stonecoldstavros
  • Steam: stonecoldstavros
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
looks good ant. now get over to NW and start recording.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »
looks good ant. now get over to NW and start recording.

Here you go (well, in about 15 minutes when it finishes uploading):
http://youtu.be/DQ9ql_DPdow

I did run it through handbrake and shrink it down a bit though.  918MB would have taken a while to upload.

Online Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »
ARC Comp have it in stock for those interested for $189
http://www.arc.com.au/pub.php?pid=53627&p=product