• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
Re: Gaming Related Videos
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2019, 02:19:08 PM »
A very good opinion / insight into Activision.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2019, 10:34:01 AM »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »
I found this video interesting.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2019, 02:08:57 PM »
I must be missing something here (maybe I was distracted while listening) but was this push for Frostbite only against some devs?

Seem to be blaming this as the reason for shutdown of studios and poor releases/struggling development on a few games (ME:Andromeda, Anthem) and that it wasn't suited to games other than first person shooters.
But it's used on sports titles, racing games, 3rd person shooters/action games.

Titanfall 2 released around the same time as other Frostbite games and this was done on Valve's Source engine, which was recently used for Apex Legends also, so no demands by EA on Respawn Ent. for these titles?
Though they are currently working on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, a 3rd person action/adventure which will be using the Frostbite engine, so we'll see how well that goes as their first frostbite title.

Still sad to see games cancelled or suffer due to technological choices but I wonder how much of the blame each side puts on the other is actually valid.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2019, 02:48:00 PM »
I must be missing something here (maybe I was distracted while listening) but was this push for Frostbite only against some devs?

Seem to be blaming this as the reason for shutdown of studios and poor releases/struggling development on a few games (ME:Andromeda, Anthem) and that it wasn't suited to games other than first person shooters.
But it's used on sports titles, racing games, 3rd person shooters/action games.

Titanfall 2 released around the same time as other Frostbite games and this was done on Valve's Source engine, which was recently used for Apex Legends also, so no demands by EA on Respawn Ent. for these titles?
Though they are currently working on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, a 3rd person action/adventure which will be using the Frostbite engine, so we'll see how well that goes as their first frostbite title.

Still sad to see games cancelled or suffer due to technological choices but I wonder how much of the blame each side puts on the other is actually valid.

Maybe more background info would be helpful, kotaku has had several developer interviews regarding this. Amy Hennig spoke about using the engine in recent interviews. Respawn is also now using frostbite for its dark times jedi game - I assume they already had their Titanfall base for fps (apex legends is also titanfall based) and there was no point starting from scratch in a new engine.

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428
While describing Frostbite, one top developer on Mass Effect: Andromeda used the analogy of an automobile. Epic’s Unreal Engine, that developer said, is like an SUV, capable of doing lots of things but unable to go at crazy high speeds. The Unity Engine would be a compact car: small, weak, and easy to fit anyplace you’d like. “Frostbite,” the developer said, “is a sports car. Not even a sports car, a Formula 1. When it does something well, it does it extremely well. When it doesn’t do something, it really doesn’t do something.”

“Whenever you’re trying to do something that fits the engine—vehicles, for example—Frostbite handles that extremely well,” the developer said. “But when you’re building something that the engine is not made for, this is where it becomes difficult.”

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:31 PM »
I think it's an interesting video but I'm not sure of the point he's trying to make? Most of the studios mentioned at the start were shut before frostbite was even a thing. It does make sense that Frostbite seems to fit shooters the most, though that conveniently ignores that Fifa and Madden both use Frostbite and run just fine.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2019, 03:35:49 PM »
I think it's an interesting video but I'm not sure of the point he's trying to make? Most of the studios mentioned at the start were shut before frostbite was even a thing. It does make sense that Frostbite seems to fit shooters the most, though that conveniently ignores that Fifa and Madden both use Frostbite and run just fine.

The sports games took multiple years to develop in frostbite, and of course now they run fine - but not always have. Remember the collisions when they were first introduced? The tech and tools had to be developed over time. In any case, the budget and talent was provided for the sports games to convert over to frostbite as they are the cash cows, and they are of such small scope compared to other genres.

The point of the video is to provide some background as to why there have been serious development problems within certain studios - alot of people dont take technical issues into consideration.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2019, 03:53:28 PM »
Maybe more background info would be helpful, kotaku has had several developer interviews regarding this. Amy Hennig spoke about using the engine in recent interviews. Respawn is also now using frostbite for its dark times jedi game - I assume they already had their Titanfall base for fps (apex legends is also titanfall based) and there was no point starting from scratch in a new engine.

https://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-mass-effect-andromedas-troubled-five-1795886428
While describing Frostbite, one top developer on Mass Effect: Andromeda used the analogy of an automobile. Epic’s Unreal Engine, that developer said, is like an SUV, capable of doing lots of things but unable to go at crazy high speeds. The Unity Engine would be a compact car: small, weak, and easy to fit anyplace you’d like. “Frostbite,” the developer said, “is a sports car. Not even a sports car, a Formula 1. When it does something well, it does it extremely well. When it doesn’t do something, it really doesn’t do something.”

“Whenever you’re trying to do something that fits the engine—vehicles, for example—Frostbite handles that extremely well,” the developer said. “But when you’re building something that the engine is not made for, this is where it becomes difficult.”

I wouldn't agree. Just because Titanfall was on Source engine, didn't mean Titanfall 2 and subsequently Apex Legends needed to be using the same engine.
If that was the case, then why wouldn't Bioware do the same with Mass Effect? ME3 was on Unreal engine, so why not keep the base for Andromeda?
I think the summary of the engines gives the reason here, they didn't want the slow bulky SUV for the new gen, so they made a call to go the latest engine EA was pushing and went in under staffed, unprepared and too many big ideas.

Exactly - and that was my point also. When you look at what games are on Frostbite engine it really covers more genres than just FPS. Given a few of them are 3rd person (although still mostly a shooter) doesn't really help this argument when there is a focus on Bioware and struggles with 3rd person titles ME:A and Anthem?

The sports games took multiple years to develop in frostbite, and of course now they run fine - but not always have. Remember the collisions when they were first introduced? The tech and tools had to be developed over time. In any case, the budget and talent was provided for the sports games to convert over to frostbite as they are the cash cows, and they are of such small scope compared to other genres.

The point of the video is to provide some background as to why there have been serious development problems within certain studios - alot of people dont take technical issues into consideration.

And ME:Andromeda was a 5 year development, but from the article you linked, it sounds like a lot of that time was wasted on big ideas.

Valid point and I totally understand there are a lot of technical items in development and given the engine was new ground for these studios it's expected there would be a (steep) learning curve.

I'll be interested to see how other dev studio's projects yet to release will go outside of EA based teams and Bioware.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2019, 05:57:58 PM »