• Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
rSeat EVO V3
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
Here is my review of the rSeat EVO V3
http://www.rseat.net/rs-evo-v3-gaming-seat/

The two most important things to me coming from my old HyperDrive was stability (both in the seat and wheel mount) and adjustability.

Stability: A read a lot of reviews around the webz, and there aren't many sub-$1000 rigs that are known for their stability, but the options are

Next Level : GTPro - $589
Next Level : GTUltimate - $799
Obutto : Ozone - $599

Whilst they all (including the EVO V3) had good reviews for sturdiness, the thing that worried my about them Next Levels and Obutto was the fact that the monitor stand was bolted to the rig itself. If you get a bit violent on the wheel, the monitors will wobble. So, EVO V3 looked the best from that point of view, an in practice, even when going fully hectic hacksawing the wheel in F1 2012 last night, there is almost zero wobble on the wheel plate. maybe 5mm back and forth at the most. So I am very pleased with the stability there.

Plus, i wanted it to look cool, so I was more leaning towards the GTUltimate. the Obutto and GTPro just looked like a well constructed home-made rig.

And you've seen in this other thread I ended up making a bridge style triple monitor stand. It sits about  4 inches behind the wheel, and 2 inches above the wheel motor. The wrap around of the 24" monitors (each side is 45Deg) gives me a 180 degree field of view.

Any of them would have sturdy seats as they all all either fibreglass or real car seats. But this was probably the weakness of the EVO V3, there are quite a few complaints about the comfort of the cushion on the seat. It's faily thin, around 30mm or so, but quite light weight foam. For me, I have no issues with the comfort fter a couple of hours in the seat. The seat cushion is velcroed onto the seat, and it has a velcro opening, so I can also go to Clark Rubber and get some high density foam if need be.

Adjustability. After coming from the hyperdrive, the one thing I knew was important to comfort was the rig's adjustability. Both bum to pedal and shoulder to wheel distances. the EVO V3 is the only rig in this price range that can have these adjusted separately. I'm not a giant at 178cm, but the rig fits me perfectly after 10-15mins of fiddling. It can also be adjusted to fit someone between 150-200cm (as per website).

An added bonus to the EVO V3 is wheel height adjustment. It's not massive, maybe 3-4inches at most, but that's all you need.  There is an adjustable wheel deck mounted to the C frame that wraps around your legs, so with it's vertical movement, and the C frame's Z axis movement, you have quite a wide range of positions for the wheel.

We'll get cost out of the way ; $731 delivered to Australia. Expensive, but the closest rival, the GTUltimate is 10% more, with less of my critical features. But HUGE!!!! wraps to rSeat. they took my order on a Friday, and had it delivered the following Friday from Romania via UPS. that kind of fast shipping is something you sort of expect when paying big $$$. also, lots of extra bolts, nuts, cable ties that you need. Probably $1-$2 extra from rSeat, but again, sort of expected and much better than getting too few nuts or bolts.

so, what changed from V2 to V3? the pedal deck has an adjustable angle, in V2, the adjustment was a slot, so after a long race the nut might loosen and the pedal deck would flop to the floor. In V3, there are now 4 pre-drilled holes rather than a slot. So no more pedal deck slippage.

and what changed from V1 to V2? two things. The knobs that tighten to secure the adjustments of the rig has a rubber boot added so that you no longer scratch the metal frame when tightening things up. and, the main backbone was lengthened to fit people up to 200cm. I think it was 180cm before.

Lots of other features which are on the website. But overall, it'd give it a 9/10. Exactly what I needed, but could have been a little cheaper. but I have no doubt that this will last forver.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: rSeat EVO V3
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:07:17 AM »
Very nice review Sarge. Can't wait to see it in action!

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:10:35 AM »
Great review Sgt.

Offline stonecoldstavros

• Clan Member
  • stavros
  • Origin: stonecoldstavros
  • PSN: stonecoldstavros
  • Steam: stonecoldstavros
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:48:41 AM »
great review. now you just need a decent racing game to play :D

Offline Pat

• Spammer
  • Origin: AroGantz
  • PSN: AroGantz
  • Steam: AroGantz
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 11:25:29 AM »
After coming from the hyperdrive, the one thing I knew was important to comfort was the rig's adjustability. Both bum to pedal and shoulder to wheel distances.

That is the important part for me, good review mate.

great review. now you just need a decent racing game to play :D

Project CARS, it is going to be an excellent sim, they are slating it for PS3 so hopefully they'll just bring it out on PS4 instead.
kunfushun [02|Feb 03:39 PM]:   a few of us here have router only ac68u, n66u. I'm sure i can speak for them and man i love my asus router, thank frack i didnt go apple

Offline SgtEeyore

• Clan Member
  • the lazy leader
  • Braaaains!
  • Origin: SgtEeyore
  • PSN: SgtEeyore
  • Steam: SgtEeyore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 12:00:25 PM »
Project CARS, it is going to be an excellent sim, they are slating it for PS3 so hopefully they'll just bring it out on PS4 instead.

i'm finding it hard to find a good car in that game. I tried a BMW M3 on Mt Panorama last night, and it was like driving a jelly car.

Jelly Car 3