• GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Baking a game!
« on: December 04, 2018, 03:03:12 PM »
So with the FO76 shamozzle Spaz thought he'd see what people think about the current trend of releasing half baked games and doing patches and updates to fix. Spaz recently picked up FF10 and FF10X2 and for such massive games for there time they had no chance of update or fix. They just worked. They were tested and released in a pretty much perfect state. At what point did it become acceptable to release games in such bad states and then just fix. NMS is a good example of the problem. Released as a joke and took ages to fix but now is looked at as something special. Spaz thinks it's still a joke because Spaz never went back!

Anyway after reading what @SmashedPumpkin  said about Subnautica Spaz just wanted to get everyone's thoughts!

Spaz blames EA and Activision for the retreaded release demands!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:05:19 PM by spazmanaught »

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
Re: Baking a game!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Spaz blames EA and Activision for the retreaded release demands!

This.

The almighty $$ is the problem.

Get them to market to bring in the $$ to appease the shareholders and the board (so they get their bonuses).

If it's broken, we will fix it......eventually, one day, maybe.

***cough***  DAYZ  **cough***

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 03:48:48 PM »
There's a few factors that have lead to this situation, the almighty dollar and push to just churn out games for profits being the biggest, but I think the fact that they just can do it know with consoles being online has lead developers to push things that are slightly broken out the door knowing it can be fixed later, and we continued to buy the games and accepted they'll be patched. I'm honestly surprised these days when a game doesnt have a day 1 patch, thats how bad the situation is.

Unfortunately I cant see anything changing this situation except if people stop buying (and especially pre-ordering) these buggy messes of games, the only way to send a message to these developers (and the publishers pushing them to release) is to not buy the games.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 10:08:24 PM »
I think most points have been covered already in the thread. I dont like the trend and it seems like it is often better to miss out on the conversation about new games and instead play them 6-12 months after release.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 09:08:12 AM »
I think most points have been covered already in the thread. I dont like the trend and it seems like it is often better to miss out on the conversation about new games and instead play them 6-12 months after release.

Not to mention cheaper too. I can be difficult to avoid the hype sometimes though and then FOMO sets in.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 09:24:58 AM »
Spaz also puts BFV and RDR2 in this basket. Both have released with not all functions working. BFV has 3 parts unlocking any day now and RDR2's MP isn't active yet. While not a bug why the delay? Some people just want to play the MP or in BFV's case the test range wasn't open which you could use to learn to fly etc.

Offline SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »
Spaz also puts BFV and RDR2 in this basket. Both have released with not all functions working. BFV has 3 parts unlocking any day now and RDR2's MP isn't active yet. While not a bug why the delay? Some people just want to play the MP or in BFV's case the test range wasn't open which you could use to learn to fly etc.

Spoiler: RDR2 multiplayer is out (well, beta, but available for all RDR2 owners), and the grinding+microtransactions is top tier money grubbing
I see this mode as just a free add-on for the single player game, which is purely designed to make as much $ as possible. The single player game is a complete experience in itself imo, but I am sure my view is influenced by the fact I have no interest in this MP mode.

BF V, I dont know the exact details but it sounds strange to release the game in stages - maybe that is one of the reasons for the sales slump. I dont like this staggered type of release, it makes me think the amount of effort/money put in to the development of the latter modes will directly correspond to the sales figures in the first few months.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2018, 10:28:26 AM »
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that games are also getting way more complex and a lot bigger than they used to be making it more difficult to fully test before release. Having said that, if these development houses adopted more modern development methodologies it would probably improve. This release and patch mentality is not just restricted to the game market either. We deal with large major players (Cisco, Verint etc.) and their software at times makes games look polished. And this is million dollar software. We refuse to deploy any version <x.0> software as we know it will be full of bugs if it is usable at all.