• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • XBLive: xxAntinOzxx
Re: Sony Console Chat
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 09:45:40 AM »
This sort of thing has been around in software for a while and is one of the reasons why most software has a license agreement.  Technically you don't purchase the software, you purchase a licence to use the software and often that licence is not transferable.
I broke my sig :-(

Offline Pat

• Spammer
  • Origin: AroGantz
  • PSN: AroGantz
  • Steam: AroGantz
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
And it probably does already say that in Sony's T&C if any of us bothered to read it.
kunfushun [02|Feb 03:39 PM]:   a few of us here have router only ac68u, n66u. I'm sure i can speak for them and man i love my asus router, thank frack i didnt go apple

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • XBLive: spazmanaught
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 09:56:29 AM »
The only game from memory that has any T&C's I can recall is BF3 for Origin on PS3. If anyone is near a game case can they have a quick look and see what the fine print says. I'd be surprised if it said anything more than don't copy it. Saying you don't own it or are licensing it may be in the super fine invisible ink  :P

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 10:15:04 AM »
I mean the T&C's that we get with every PSN update, I have never read them.
kunfushun [02|Feb 03:39 PM]:   a few of us here have router only ac68u, n66u. I'm sure i can speak for them and man i love my asus router, thank frack i didnt go apple

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »
I imagine they would have to be with each individual title so, as spaz said, I can't recall much there.  Let's see if that changes as well.

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 10:28:33 AM »
From the Borderlands 2 case....

FOR HOME USE ONLY. This software is licensed for play on authorised PlayStation3 systems only. All unauthorised access, use or transfer of the product or its underlying copyright and trademark works is prohibited. See eu.playstation.com/terms for full usage rights. Library programs (c) 1997-2012 Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. exclusively licensed to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE). RESALE AND RENTAL ARE PROHIBITED UNLESS EXPRESSLY AUTHORISED BY SCEE.  PlayStation Network, PlayStation Store and PlayStation Home subject to terms of use and not available in all countries and languages (eu.playstation.com/terms). Broadband internet service required. Users are responsible for broadband access fees. Charges apply for some content. Users must be 7 years or older and users under 18 require parental consent. Licensed for sale only in Australia and New Zealand.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 10:30:14 AM »
Well there you go.  Your capitalisation or theirs?

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
Lara copied that exactly from the case, and this is from http://au.playstation.com/legal/detail/item304209/Application-Terms-of-Use/

2. Intellectual Property

All intellectual property rights in the application and in the information, content and software available via the application belong to SCEE, our licensors and/or the operator of the third party website on which you access or use the application.  Much of the application is protected by copyright, trade mark, database rights and other intellectual property rights.  Unless otherwise stated, you are entitled to install and use the application only for your personal use.  You must not copy, modify, adapt, distribute, publish, sell, licence or transfer all or any part of the application to anyone else and you must not use the application for any commercial purpose.  Except to the extent permitted by applicable law, you must not disassemble, de-compile, reverse engineer or otherwise break or attempt to break encryption protecting the application.

I have never read the fine print before and it is extremely fine :)

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 10:56:01 AM »
So is JB and EB breaking the law by trading in these? And I'm unsure how law works but if I buy a car then re-sell it Holden don't get anything? Apple lost the digital distribution case recently as well which is similar to this. I will be intrigued how this plays out  :)   Good thread this one!

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
I have some fuzzy memory about someone trying to enforce those licenses long ago.  It is more about how a person can't be held to a contract they may not have read and, in softwares case, was inside the box anyway.

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
JB and EB might have originally received permission for PS3 games Spaz, when the PS4 is released I think there will be an outcry for about five minutes then everyone will settle down and buy PS4 games the same as they buy PS3 games now :)

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
So I finally ran out of space on my 500gb HDD ( Plus ftw ). I had nearly 300 games installed. Deleted about 100 of them and freed up about 108gb. Must still be a lot of game data loaded!

Offline vekzla

• Clan Member
  • Origin: vekzla
  • PSN: vekzla
  • Steam: vekzla
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »
Can someone tell me how the new ps3 slim stacks up vs the old ps3?looking at buying one for my little bros bday :)
has anything changed apart from size and less hdd capacity?
Jandals - what you damn aussies call thongs

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 12:59:47 PM »
Can someone tell me how the new ps3 slim stacks up vs the old ps3?looking at buying one for my little bros bday :)
It is a top loader now, with a sliding cover.  More of a dust trap than the old one.  I have heard people say it is noisy, but mine runs quieter than my old phat PS3.  Other than that, nothing really seems any different.  Top loader does mean it is harder to put on a shelf in a tv cabinet.

Offline vekzla

• Clan Member
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 01:12:45 PM »
It is a top loader now, with a sliding cover.  More of a dust trap than the old one.  I have heard people say it is noisy, but mine runs quieter than my old phat PS3.  Other than that, nothing really seems any different.  Top loader does mean it is harder to put on a shelf in a tv cabinet.

Thanks, DSE have a bundle offer 500gb ps3 two controllers one game for $399 plus extended warranty 2yrs $75 all up $475. Just need to figure out if the extended warranty is valid in NZ.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »
Thanks, DSE have a bundle offer 500gb ps3 two controllers one game for $399 plus extended warranty 2yrs $75 all up $475. Just need to figure out if the extended warranty is valid in NZ.
I doubt it.  Check who provides the warranty.  Sony or DSE or a third party although none of them will probably honour it in another country.

Offline vekzla

• Clan Member
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2013, 01:44:38 PM »
I doubt it.  Check who provides the warranty.  Sony or DSE or a third party although none of them will probably honour it in another country.
Its a 3rd party that DSE use, i will call them on Monday and find out. My assumption DSE in NZ and AU operate under the same banner thus same warranty but will find out on Monday.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • XBLive: StoneColdHomer

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2013, 09:44:49 AM »
RIP PS2.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/rest-in-peace-playstation-2-2000-2012/

I'm guessing they probably recovered their development costs... assuming it wasn't a loss leader for it's whole career!

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »
I think i read ages ago that they started to make money on the hardware around the time the slim came out

Offline stonecoldstavros

• Clan Member
  • stavros
  • Origin: stonecoldstavros
  • PSN: stonecoldstavros
  • Steam: stonecoldstavros
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »
RIP PS2.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/rest-in-peace-playstation-2-2000-2012/

the fact that people are still buying tech from 12 years ago and they are still making games for it is quite amazing.
And the games are still fun.
My brother still runs a ps2 with his son and they always buy games for it, cause they are only 50c.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 10:14:23 AM »
I packed mine up after I had the PS3 for a couple of years... I couldn't handle the low res games on it

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
I traded mine not long after getting my PS3 but we still have Lara's silver brick.

Offline spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 11:36:05 AM »
We still have our fatty PS2 with 80gb HDD installed and about 20 games on it and most of our PS2 games collection. I might put a list up soon and sell them for $2 each.

Actually I might have a PS3 fire sale. Never trading games has created a massive pile of games we never play!

Offline stonecoldstavros

• Clan Member
  • stavros
  • Origin: stonecoldstavros
  • PSN: stonecoldstavros
  • Steam: stonecoldstavros
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
We still have our fatty PS2 with 80gb HDD installed and about 20 games on it and most of our PS2 games collection. I might put a list up soon and sell them for $2 each.

Actually I might have a PS3 fire sale. Never trading games has created a massive pile of games we never play!

$2.... what a rip haha