• No Man's Sky 5 1
Currently:  

No Man's Sky

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
Re: No Man's Sky
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2016, 06:04:33 PM »
People say, but what will you actually do in the game? This list shows at least half a dozen I'll be doing.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
This is a long and great resource of information about NMS:
In summary (yes this is like half the post, spoilers used to keep the post readable):

Many people ask the question, “What do you do in No Man’s Sky?” and quite honestly, are right to ask that. In the trailers for No Man’s Sky we see our character walking through a variety of lush science-fiction environments, flying through space, looking out over beautiful scenes. “So, it’s a walking simulator then!” people assert, however this couldn’t be further from the truth.

No Man’s Sky can be described as an Open-Universe Science Fiction Sandbox, with elements from the Action, Adventure, RPG genres and more. It’s much easier to say however that it’s like being in a classic science fiction movie, or book. No Man’s Sky aims to capture exactly that, the loneliness, the mystery, the wonderment of being a frontiersman, an explorer, an adventurer.

Gameplay
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sentinels

Crafting/Upgrading your gear
You have 3 main things, your weapon (for mining/combat), your suit and your ship.

What happens when you die?

Trading/Making Money

Aliens/NPC's

Being an Explorer

I am Lost

Space Travel

What is the main goal, aside from exploring
There’s no real narrative to No Man’s Sky, there’s a lore behind the universe, but otherwise you’re creating your own story. Fixed factors such as the Atlas, the Sentinels, etc. are all woven into a cohesive lore – but it’s up to you to connect the dots.
As for a goal, aside from setting personal goals your main objective is to reach the centre of the galaxy. Each player starts on the edge of the same galaxy, and makes their way towards the centre, should they please – as you reach the centre, the game gets more difficult, and things get more alien, this should create a natural tendency for players to move toward the centre as it gets more rewarding. Better resources, items, more challenge, etc.
We don’t know what is at the centre, and all we know is that it will give you some closure to the game, so you can say – “I’ve beat No Man’s Sky”, but there’s even more for you to do, and a whole universe to explore once we’re free of that first galaxy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 06:58:19 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2016, 09:36:26 AM »
I have been watching a heap of the new gameplay and q/a lately for this game. I am getting really excited for it. I preordered on the ps store. I think i will be playing this game for a long time. Maybe forever!
I like the idea that the developers want to be able to add more things that we can do in the future (sorta like dlc) if the game does well.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »
Yeah, I am starting to get interested in this one now after watching some gameplay

Offline Tweakzero

• Clan Member
  • I don't think you act stupid, I'm sure it's real
  • PSN: Tweakzero
  • Steam: Tweakzero
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »
Yeh man im gee'd up about this game ive been watching and waiting for a very very long time.

I relish the chance to explore a truly open universe.

pre-ordered. now the wait begins.

Offline StoneColdHomer

• Leader
  • The Heartless Bastard
  • Origin: StoneColdHomer
  • PSN: StoneColdHomer
  • Steam: Stone_Cold_Homer
  • Xbox Live: StoneColdHomer
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
I'm still not convinced by this.....I'm in a wait and see pattern

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »
It still just looks like a cartoony, less co-operative version of Elite: Dangerous... at least in Elite you could form wings and do things together... this still feels like it'll be lonely.. I'll probably get it due to lack of anything else to play, but I'm not on the hype train.

Offline Tweakzero

• Clan Member
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2016, 11:12:23 AM »

Offline Tweakzero

• Clan Member
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 11:14:50 AM »
It still just looks like a cartoony, less co-operative version of Elite: Dangerous... at least in Elite you could form wings and do things together... this still feels like it'll be lonely.. I'll probably get it due to lack of anything else to play, but I'm not on the hype train.

I got ED the instant it came out and was bitterly dispointed (got a flight stick for it and everything) it just didnt do the old ED justice , but im hoping NMS will hit the nail on the head either way ive been waiting for a game like this since like 2003 and watching this game like a hawk for last 2 years.

This and Star citizen have been my my dream games for a while...pity Star Citizen looks like its going a bit off the rails atm.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 11:21:37 AM »
I got ED the instant it came out and was bitterly dispointed (got a flight stick for it and everything) it just didnt do the old ED justice , but im hoping NMS will hit the nail on the head either way ive been waiting for a game like this since like 2003 and watching this game like a hawk for last 2 years.

I have ED on Xbone and sunk a decent amount of hours into it, tried my hand at just about everything from bounty hunting, to mining, to long haul bulk trading (which whilst was kind of boring, put some music on, grab a drink and just zone out and its fairly relaxing). The only thing I haven't done is try to make it to the core, though I did start to outfit a DBX for it.

I want this to be good and parts of it does look good (and for $79 digital it's a decent price and I will probably grab it digital), but I still feel like I'll get bored on my own after pretty much exclusively playing co-op online games for so long (Destiny, ED, The Division, Diablo, etc.).

Online SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 11:51:46 AM »
I will probably also get the game due to a lack of other releases - but will not preorder. Most people interested to experience the game as intended won't be using the included preorder bonus.

Not at all hyped about it due to the universe lacking in several areas (examples: no cities at all, very sparsely populated planets, planets all have just 1 biome, buildings and space stations have simplistic designs and are not fleshed out).

There isn't mich detail about the wanted system - such as if/how you can lose your wanted level without dying. Would be ridiculous if you get a 1-star rating with no way to lose it other than run for your ship and leave the planet.

If the space combat plays well then I can see myself enjoying that part of the game - especially if you can fight alongside NPCs which I think I have seen in videos.

My concern is that the universe is not fleshed out, and the game may try to be a jack of all trades, master of none. The survival aspect seems simplistic and is done in more detail in other games.

This is why I will wait for reviews.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
this still feels like it'll be lonely..
That is exactly what Sean (Hello games founder) has said he is going for. A lonely adventurer in a vast galaxy where you can explore, play as you like and build your own story.
He plays ED himself and says how he plays lots of other games too, so I am guessing he doesnt want to just remake the same as something else already done.

due to the universe lacking in several areas (examples: no cities at all, very sparsely populated planets, planets all have just 1 biome, buildings and space stations have simplistic designs and are not fleshed out).
I also was at first not a fan of the 1 biome per planet, but I guess the game is designed around discovering and exploring different biomes across different planets. If the game was designed around only a region of the galaxy, then more details could have been put into specific planets diversity.

Sean has also mentioned that he wants it to be more arcade, and have a sci fi feel to it. So realism isnt the most important thing. This is also the fact when its comes to spectral types of stars. They dont follow the real spectral class of main sequence stars, but have something similar and make up a few. Planets are clumped closer then they would be in real life, no gravity around planets (nothing like ED or KBS), again alot of design choices are to make the game more accessible to the general public and fun from a sci fi game point of view.

There isn't mich detail about the wanted system - such as if/how you can lose your wanted level without dying. Would be ridiculous if you get a 1-star rating with no way to lose it other than run for your ship and leave the planet.
I believe its more a timer based system. Watching a recent clip where Sean has a low wanted level, he is in the building and then runs out to the 4 legged sentiels, in one commentary he mentions he should have just wanted in the building to lose his wanted status rather then just run back out into the open.

My concern is that the universe is not fleshed out, and the game may try to be a jack of all trades, master of none. The survival aspect seems simplistic and is done in more detail in other games.
From my point of view, I am not aware or dont have access to so many other great games (most are on pc) so NMS offers alot which I havent seen anywhere else (at least on ps4).
I do have similiar thoughts about something being a jack of all trades type of game. But I am very pleased to see how open Sean / hello games is to community feedback and they will basically work towards implementing gameplay designs / future ideas into the game over time if thats what the community wants.
Once the game comes out and we play it for a month, if we notice its lacking and feels like it needs more things to do in an area, hopefully that is agreed on enough from the community that the developers take it on board and work it into the game over time. I am really excited for the game overall as it will be such a great foundation to build the game up from even if over years to make a truly unique experience.\

I'll get bored on my own after pretty much exclusively playing co-op online games for so long (Destiny, ED, The Division, Diablo, etc.).
I used to solely play sp games. Got into mp mainly with fps, but still played sp for massive campaigns, then once i found co-op, thats also been a favourite for me. I think NMS will become the sort of game to roll back to inbetween other games, or when you just want to chill. Or when you just have a bit of time to kill.
I am hoping to be playing other co op games and fill the gaps with some NMS every few game sessions to mix it up.
(Obviously after the 1month long marathon i will play from launch  :troll:)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:33:59 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2016, 09:50:53 AM »

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2016, 11:05:45 AM »
Tried to write a post about how watching all these "what to do" video's smacks of the devs / fans trying to justify the game, but I can't articulate my thoughts on it well enough to be worth while, so all I'll say is none of these video's have really got me all that hyped for the game, still a wait and see for me.

Announce PSVR support and I'll probably be pumped though  :troll:

Online SmashedPumpkin

• Officer
  • PSN: SmashedPumpkinG_
  • Steam: smashedpumpking
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2016, 05:50:35 PM »
I actually like the community-made videos more than anything that Sean Murray tries to show. They have a lot more info condensed into them, and I have seen much more interesting events happening in those showreels.

I must say that it would be an awesome addition of you could print your discoveries with a 3D printer (I don't know if this is just fans speculating/Wishlist or if it is a planned feature).

Offline Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
Announce PSVR support and I'll probably be pumped though  :troll:

Considering how much PlayStation has hyped up this game for their own platform, I reckon we'll see Sean Murray come onstage at E3 and announce PSVR support for 2017.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2016, 06:15:16 PM »
I heard speculation about 3d printing support for NMS discoveries.
Also Sean is always cautious about answering VR support, a recent interview he said he loves everything VR and will look forward to it. As for NMS support he thinks the community would rather them focus on a polished game. My speculation is once the game is released they will have a small team work on VR support while the rest of the team focus' on the game itself.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »
I'm curious how the music will blend. They used 65daysofstatic (band) to procedurally generate the music based on the terrain.
This is an old clip but the music is a nice fit.

Offline raz81

• Clan Member
  • Troll Master
  • PSN: raz81
  • Steam: raz81
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »
As I watch more and more about this game I get keen, but it still won't get my $ unless it gets vr support. I think it will be a truly amazing and immerse experience in vr but without I will get bored

Offline Poweli

• Clan Member
  • Twisted one
  • Origin: Poweli
  • PSN: Poweli
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
Well i have preordered it hopefully its a winner

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2016, 10:59:25 PM »

We need this as an emoticon  :up:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 11:03:46 PM by M-Rossi »

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2016, 10:12:22 AM »
I am really pumped for this game. I already have my psn profile sig ready and waiting to be used  :up: once the game releases ill no doubt make a new one after each discovery.
I have been working on my naming convention for stars and planets and decided to go with an adaptation of the Bayer-Flamsteed designation.

My first star will be: 1 Rossi    :troll:.
If it's a binary system I'll use 1 Rossi Alpha for the more luminous star and 1 Rossi Beta, then planets I'll designate with Roman numerals of the star name in order from the star, with a nickname in brackets.
Eg: 1 Rossi Alpha IV (NotEarth) - 4th planet of the brighter star in the 1st star system

For life, im not as worried about naming and will mostly use the default name, might add a nickname in brackets if it fits within the character limit.

Offline kunfushun

• Clan Member
  • DoTA2/Overwatch Addict
  • Origin: kunfushun
  • PSN: kunfushun
  • Steam: _kunfushun
  • Xbox Live: theKunfushun
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2016, 09:21:07 PM »
I'm curious how the music will blend. They used 65daysofstatic (band) to procedurally generate the music based on the terrain.
This is an old clip but the music is a nice fit.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!!

Gonna love this sound track cant wait!
🐵💤

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2016, 04:37:44 PM »
New Poll added, I am curious how many people here will be playing No Mans Sky.

I am patiently awaiting it, counting down the download timer on the ps store   :camp:, in the mean time I made myself a new forum avatar.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
New Poll added, I am curious how many people here will be playing No Mans Sky.

Does it matter? Not like we'll ever find each other :troll: