Mini / 'Classic' Consoles

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
Mini / 'Classic' Consoles
« on: September 20, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
Thought I'd start a general post on the subject of these "new" mini / classic consoles being pumped out, the latest with Sony jumping on the bandwagon with the Playstation Classic "PS1" which comes with a whopping 20 games (including fan-favorites such as Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms.)- according to the blog... $150.

Has anyone brought any of the others and what are your thoughts on these? To me, they touch on the nostalgia hit.. until I realise I wouldnt really want to, or have the time/energy to play through many of those old games again, and then theres the case of a lot of the games being re-released, re-mastered and re-made anyway.

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
Re: Mini / 'Classic' Consoles
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57:21 PM »
Spaz still has his PS1, PS2 and PS3 with heaps of games. Spaz isn't really interested but could see it being a winner for kids.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 01:30:30 PM »
If anyone wants to go down that path, a RetroPie based solution is far more cost effective.

Having said that, it can seriously rip-off the rose coloured glasses when you play a favourite from the PS1 (or Amiga, C64, Atari 2600, Apple ][e). Some things are better left to memory.

Offline mimix

• Clan Member
  • The Double Deuce (#22)
  • PSN: iammimix
  • Steam: iammimix
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 01:45:15 PM »
Having said that, it can seriously rip-off the rose coloured glasses when you play a favourite from the PS1 (or Amiga, C64, Atari 2600, Apple ][e). Some things are better left to memory.

Agreed.
I grabbed my PS1 back from my folks when they cleaned out. Thought this is awesome, stacks of games, the kids will love it and it'll be sweet to relive.
Set it up, played a couple of games and immediately thought, this sucks! and the kids didn't really enjoy it when the PS3 was sitting right there beside it.

You are quickly reminded how brutal some games are because of poor collision detection back in those days. Having to be pixel perfect on reactions etc. Total rage fest.

I've decided i'll leave the nostalgia where it's the best, in my head.

Offline AkyraStrike

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 02:54:01 PM »
I think the PSX (1) era is a bad time to try and do this with, older consoles (2D) can still be kind of fun taken for what they are... but the early era 3D games do not age well, for a number of reasons.

In saying that, if I was given one of these consoles as a gift, I wouldn't be upset :troll: just wouldn't buy one for myself.

Online Slayer7744

• Leader
  • Fear is an illusion
    • YouTube
  • Origin: Slayer7744
  • PSN: Slayer7744
  • Steam: Slayer7744
  • Xbox Live: Slayer7744
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 03:10:27 PM »
I'm a sucker for collecting cool, useless toys so I've preordered this. Will look good next to the Mini NES and SNES.