Destiny Guide to Level 20 and Beyond

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
  • PSN: M-Rossi
Destiny Guide to Level 20 and Beyond
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:56:46 PM »
I thought I would start a new sub thread on things to do post Level 20.
This gamespot video sums up a lot of information quite nicely. (Video quality on youTube link is poor, see original link below for better quality).

Original Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/destiny-guide-to-level-20-and-beyond/1100-6422423/

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
Re: Destiny Guide to Level 20 and Beyond
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 04:05:44 PM »
Destiny Legendary and Glimmer Farming Spots and Tips

Offline Pat

• Spammer
  • Origin: AroGantz
  • PSN: AroGantz
  • Steam: AroGantz
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:59 PM »
Sat outside the cave today with my Level 10 Hunter, he went up 1.5 levels, took part in a couple of publics and Lara ended up with 3 legendary engrams and got a helmet (wrong class) and body armour for her class.
kunfushun [02|Feb 03:39 PM]:   a few of us here have router only ac68u, n66u. I'm sure i can speak for them and man i love my asus router, thank frack i didnt go apple

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
  • PSN: Jykel
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:06:50 AM »
Watched a mate on the weekend go from level 1 to 25 in 2 days, with no farming, but with a second character.  He had 2 leg and 1 exotic for a warlock, he was hunter, so switched classes.  He did story mode til level 5, then hit the crucible til level 20.  Put on stashed gear, level 25.

Took me damn near 2 weeks!!

I am going to follow a similar approach with my new character later this week.  I have 23 mote and 15 coins ready for my new character, plus 2 leg and 1 exotic.

I got quite a few leg engrams from the crucible yesterday, all for gloves, which I already have exotic for, so dismantled them for much needed ascendent materials (3 / dismantle.)

Offline MooseWrangler

• Clan Member
  • Wranglin' ain't easy
  • Origin: MooseWrang1er
  • PSN: M00SEWR4NGLER_
  • Steam: moosewrangler
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:08:46 AM »
Watched a mate on the weekend go from level 1 to 25 in 2 days, with no farming, but with a second character.  He had 2 leg and 1 exotic for a warlock, he was hunter, so switched classes.  He did story mode til level 5, then hit the crucible til level 20.  Put on stashed gear, level 25.

Took me damn near 2 weeks!!

I am going to follow a similar approach with my new character later this week.  I have 23 mote and 15 coins ready for my new character, plus 2 leg and 1 exotic.

I got quite a few leg engrams from the crucible yesterday, all for gloves, which I already have exotic for, so dismantled them for much needed ascendent materials (3 / dismantle.)

So he actually made it to 25 did he? I was witness to a little of that levelling on sat heh I'll be doing the same for my Warlock, I have a legendary chest piece waiting for him when he gets to 20 and am farming coins and other stuff at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:10:25 AM by MooseWrangler »

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »
Yeah Moose he made it.   Did a few PvE bounties in there but it was mainly crucible leveling.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 04:35:53 PM »
DESTINY 'UNFOLDS AND TRANSFORMS OVER TIME,' SAYS EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/09/15/destiny-unfolds-and-transforms-over-time-says-executive-producer?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook
(Video Comments on the link)

O'Kelley claims that Destiny is an evolving experience; a game that requires some time to sink into. He promises that those who take the time to do so will be rewarded with a sense of community and progression.

Offline Barnzini

• Clan Member
  • Universal Religion
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 04:54:40 PM »
DESTINY 'UNFOLDS AND TRANSFORMS OVER TIME,' SAYS EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

In other words he is saying please don't trade the game in just yet. We know we designed the loot system poorly ( people going afk in strikes and multiplayer now as its truly random) and will make up for it with paid DLC.

Won't surprise me if they actually start selling engram packs on the psn store soon.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
  • Origin: AntinOz
  • PSN: AntinOz
  • Steam: AntinOz
  • Xbox Live: xxAntinOzxx
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
Won't surprise me if they actually start selling engram packs on the psn store soon.

Buy a purple, it decodes to green ;)

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 05:20:12 PM »

That would test out how strong the controller was.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

kunfushun [02|Feb 03:39 PM]:   a few of us here have router only ac68u, n66u. I'm sure i can speak for them and man i love my asus router, thank frack i didnt go apple

Offline Barnzini

• Clan Member
  • Universal Religion
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 10:24:30 AM »
Sat outside the cave today with my Level 10 Hunter, he went up 1.5 levels, took part in a couple of publics and Lara ended up with 3 legendary engrams and got a helmet (wrong class) and body armour for her class.

I tried this cave spamming yesterday to see why its so popular and yeah. Blues were popping out like candy ( still yet to see a purple though)

I totally get why people do it now and its awesome that they even did us a favour and put a public event right next to it for a free coin (or is it mote of light? i cant remember) per day  :up:

Offline Leinad300

• Clan Member
  • Origin: Leinad300
  • PSN: Leinad300
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
They do try to clear the cave if you camp outside for too long though, you will get swamped by waves and waves of enemies.

Offline Leinad300

• Clan Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
Got 3 purple engram today, turned out to be 2 blue and a exotic rocket launcher called Truth.
Still no purple though.

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 10:51:17 AM »
Finally hit level 26 last night, haven't done any farming for gear, just playing the game.   Only need to get a leg or exotic helmet and I think I should hit 27.    All the gear I am wearing I bought from vendors.

I have worked out some farming for Helium and Iron Relic stuff so if you are in need of that for upgrading ye gear, send me a inv and I can show you the little runs. 

Still no leg or exotic weapons yet though :(   so over armoured but under powered.

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 10:57:17 AM »

That would test out how strong the controller was.

Found that out on the PS3 with some bowling game that had you swinging the DS3 like a WiiMote.  My son let it go!  Glad I had him standing to the side of the TV just in case.

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 11:00:25 AM »
I'm the same as you Jyks, bought all my armour except my legs and still have blue weapons, they are good but not purple. Will you be on tonight?

Offline Ant

• Clan Member
  • Retired Red
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2014, 11:59:55 AM »
I'm the same as you Jyks, bought all my armour except my legs and still have blue weapons, they are good but not purple. Will you be on tonight?

Do you need Vanguard and Crucible marks to buy better armour?.. seems I have heaps of glimmer and nothing to spend it on.

Offline Pat

• Spammer
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »
Yes, vanguard or crucible. You also need to do lots of bounties and strikes.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:14 PM »
Do you need Vanguard and Crucible marks to buy better armour?.. seems I have heaps of glimmer and nothing to spend it on.

When you have lots of Glimmer, the best thing to do is buy the Green engrams from the Cyptarch dude. And use up most of your glimmer. Most items wont be great, but you can just dismantle them for parts.
Also each time you buy something from him, you get points to help level up your Cryptach level. Each time you go up a level, the postmaster will give you a package and they normally have a legendary and couple of rare engrams, which can give you great armor :)

As for better armor, watch the video on the first page and it describes it all very nicely.

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
Yep AG, will be on tonight after 9ish.

Another good use for glimmer is getting heaps of ammo synths (refills).   For the harder level strikes, stories and raids, you need to switch between special weapons purely for the effect (fire, void, shock).   Which resets ye ammo, so the refills are handy.    Oh, note that the refills have a cooldown, so planning when to switch can be fun.     So collect special and heavy of different damage types, I didn't do this and am regretting it now having been smashed by Epic Strikes where I needed Fire and Shock, and I only had void.   

Gear Farming vs Buying:   

Farming points like the earth cave, moon story or venus strike will get you stuff in the end but that can be time spent getting Cruc or Van marks and rep.   I don't have an MMO background, so farming doesn't sit well with me as an FPS type chap, I like action :)   So I will always do the daily story and either do a Cruc or Van Strike session.

Once you have either your Cruc or Van rank/level (rep points) up to level 2, you can buy armour with ya stock piles marks, removing any randomness from getting gear.   Once you get either rank to level 3, you can buy weapons.    This pathway is slightly different if you take a Faction pathway (FWC, etc) which might be a better option for a second character.

Every Van Rank from 3 onwards rewards you with a free leg weapon, so I am gunning for that rank this week.

On the farming side of things, there are a few things that you can do.   If you find others farming the earth cave, sit your character nearby,  use a rubber band or hair tie on ye controller's camera stick (so you stay active), and you will get exp as they kill/farm the enemies.   Super cheapness+ but if you have to do some things about the house, you can level up in the process.

Farming materials is unavoidable, so I tend to save my farming time for green goop, metal plants, old iron crap & helium stuff.  Anytime I get a bounty for doing patrols, I will spend some time getting materials as well, so I am still earning Van Rank.

Offline Leinad300

• Clan Member
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2014, 08:07:14 AM »
Looks like the holy 'treasure cave' on earth is gone now according to the latest path note
http://www.bungie.net/7_Hot-Fix---09252014/en/News/News?aid=12190

Online spazmanaught

• Clan Member
  • GOD
  • Bogan
  • Origin: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • PSN: spazmanaught, stonecoldspaz
  • Steam: spazmanaught
  • Xbox Live: spazmanaught
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Looks like the holy 'treasure cave' on earth is gone now according to the latest path note
http://www.bungie.net/7_Hot-Fix---09252014/en/News/News?aid=12190

Perhaps Bungie should address the reason so many people are using the loot caves. The retarded reward system. You only have to do a quick uTube search to see hundreds of vids of people doing massive strikes/quests to only be given a coin or shard. This type of reward structure gives you no reason to do the hard stuff when you can replay mission 1 and get the same chance of loot. It's surprising Bungie have stuffed this up so bad.

Offline Jykel

• Clan Member
  • Sleep is for the Dead.
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2014, 09:26:53 AM »
Perhaps Bungie should address the reason so many people are using the loot caves. The retarded reward system. You only have to do a quick uTube search to see hundreds of vids of people doing massive strikes/quests to only be given a coin or shard. This type of reward structure gives you no reason to do the hard stuff when you can replay mission 1 and get the same chance of loot. It's surprising Bungie have stuffed this up so bad.

+1.

I think every mission, strike, etc should have a fixed item reward, then add the chance of a random.   Formula: kill stuff ==> Exp ==> Loot
Marks n rank are part of the Exp system and not Loot imho, and they seem to be the only fixed reward apart from those coin weekly strike rewards.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
The retarded reward system. You only have to do a quick uTube search to see hundreds of vids of people doing massive strikes/quests to only be given a coin or shard.

It can be annoying if you re do the daily story / weekly strike to help out mates, and they can be hard! only to not get any rewards at all. Fair enough not getting the coins, but give us some engrams or something.

Offline M-Rossi

• Clan Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 12:00:14 PM »
If anyone is every needing players for a Raid, Weekly, Nightfall etc.. and no WpR members are on, these sites are great for finding players:
http://www.destinylfg.net/
http://www.destinylfg.com/

I read this on the WP Forum.
it is my understanding that the destinylfg.net guy came up with the idea first but the destinylfg.com guy took his idea and ran with it. Also, the .com guy put ads and a donation box on his site, while the .net guy didn't. Considering both sites provide the same service, personally I go for the "good guy".
Most people tend to us: http://www.destinylfg.net/  as first choice
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 03:44:20 PM by M-Rossi »